Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 07:52PM

It's on my dvr and I'm waiting to watch it when my BF and I can sit down and relax. What did you think?
Please add spoil alerts if you have them!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wings ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 09:26PM

I thought it was ok. Rather in the B TV arena. It was not a feature film, nor HBO, nor a great made for TV movie, IMHO. Like a light, summer read....it was ok, and entertained me. The people I watched with did not know anything about polygamy. They got lost with the jumping from the YFZ looking people and the BY era cuts, had too many questions about it, but not interested enough to be outraged and research the subject. The only thing that really bothered them was it really goes on and not much is done to stop it.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 09:40PM

I felt I was watching a Danielle Steel movie on Lifetime Network. Oh, it was Lifetime. Not HBO quality as you say.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 09:41PM

I thought the portrayal of BY was a little insipid and snively. I picture BY to be a much more domineering, arrogant and forceful man.

Queenie's character seemed to have more freedom than I imagine exists in that community.

I liked the way the mother was shown to hang on to her faith in spite of the way her son was kicked out, she was degraded by her husband, and the prophet was shown to be a scoundrel. The brain washing runs deep.

Still there was plenty there for a curious TBM to Google.

Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 09:27PM

I recorded it, and have watched a little bit.

My favorite part is the reference to "The 19th Wife" and I look forward to watching the rest.

When the lost boy who came back to help his mother get out of jail, he said he got help from regular Mormons. However, shining a light on polygamy can't make TSCC look good historically.

Posted by: SilkRose ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 11:53PM

otherwise was okay. I was really looking forward to it, especially since I didn't have my Exmormon crack fix lol...I was feigning.

But, it wasn't as good as I would have liked it to be. I wish they would have more deeply reflected what really goes on.

Now, how about the "Sister Wives" that will be coming on TLC?

Posted by: stormy ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:41AM

It's recorded but I haven't had the time to watch it...maybe tomorrow morning.

stormy

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 01:08AM

I didn't watch, but some of the blogs I read have complained about the de-gayification of the Jordan character.

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 02:18AM

It wasn't as good as I had hoped. What were the differences between the book and the movie?

Posted by: olive ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:25PM

the first time I wanted to watch it with hubby but decided I should watch it first just in case.

I think the Jordan character when describing that he got help from the mainstream LDS church said either "true mormons" or "real mormons." That irked me a little since if you want to be technical, these people (FLDS) are more like the original church but whatever.

Queenie and Sarah/Five were much too freethinking to be real FLDS women. I remember seeing the Oprah episode where she went to the YFZ ranch and they were all so smiley and sweet. The fact that Queenie's husband "let" her drive and talk on the phone and she even said "I love you" to Jordan and all he did was frown a bit? Yeah, I don't think that would happen.

They didn't really go into Word of Wisdom stuff. Five was working at a coffee shop and even after recognizing each other there was no reference to not drinking any coffee.

Oh and Queenie, when leaving, cut her hair and put on a miniskirt and was like "bye." For some reason I imagine that it would be much harder to leave than that.

I did like the fact that the police and the lawyer were all members and were doing their best to keep it all on the inside.

And what is this about "sister wives" on TLC? I've not heard of this show yet. Is it a done deal and if so, when can we expect to see it on the air?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:25PM

Book was better. I got bored and only halfway watched it, ie the TV was on but I did other things.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:27PM

BTW, as I understand it, the WofW isn't strictly observed among FLDS. Alyssa Wall's book talks of drinking coffee and beer if I remember correctly.

Posted by: olive ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:29PM

Oh, that makes sense about the WoW. Thanks for letting me know. Might have been nice to see the "prophet" with a beer in hand. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.