Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 02:57PM

My wife hates tv or computer time on Sunday. For her, it's a holy day, which means we should attend dreadfully boring meetings, starve ourselves once a month, and apparently not do anything remotely fun. For over a decade, I've allowed her beliefs to trump my Sunday activities (I grew up watching football on Sunday, movies, or doing whatever I wanted) until we married. Then it became no football games, no movies, no computer games, no tv, no radio music unless it was mormony. It's supposed to be a sacred day.

Within the past two years, her strict sabbath rules have slowly been bent. Ever since I discovered the bishop allows his children to watch family movies on sunday, I've pointed that out to her and she finally gave in. The children are elated...why it takes her bishop's approval to do something is beyond me....but there was ZERO leniency until her direct leaders were doing what I suggested forever. Grrrr.

Anyway, now with my beloved Packers playing the Cowboys on this Sunday, you'd better believe I'll be pulling up a chair to enjoy the game. Do you have any idea how many superbowls we missed because of my wife's strict sunday rules?

Here's to 'out with the old (rules) and in with the new (fun)'.

Ahhhh, Apostacy. It's much better than I anticipated!

Go Pack Go!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 03:05PM

...when one spouse or partner gets to dictate all the rules about how you will live your lives!

My mom had a friend who would not let her hubbie watch football on Sunday. Mom asked her if she would rather the hubs went and watched it from the couch of another woman's house! Lotsa single women wouldn't mind a bit havin a nice fella watching a game at their place. While he's watching, if she ain't into football, she can read a good book or fart around online.

Religion should not dictate how ya spend the sabbath either! Jesus made that real clear in the Bible, which oughta trump the BOM, in one dog's opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 03:11PM by The StalkerDog™.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 03:07PM

Silly, your the priesthood holder. Run your house.

Date: January 09, 2015 03:24PM

I resigned and gave up my priesthood.

But I probably do deserve the kick in the balls, so thanks.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 05:56PM

hopefulhusband Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But I probably do deserve the kick in the balls,
> so thanks.

You mean you still have them?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I appreciate your situation and only wish you the best!

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 03:56PM

This. I take my son fishing on Sunday afternoons and the wife had a problem with it. I told her not to ever question how I spend quality time with our child. She was rather taken aback how I put the pants on and laid down the law and now she joins us at the park once in awhile.

Date: January 09, 2015 03:58PM

JR, not sure if you'll reread this....but thanks for making this point. I appreciate the idea that how I spend quality time building relationships with my boys isn't to be an issue for her.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 08:43PM

I would go fishing with my dad on sundays, when he could break away from his Stake Councilor, or what ever other morg related duties he had.

While he was TBM as they come, he was also a country boy and we didn't live in the morridor. He always said that since Jesus was a fisherman, that anytime spent fishing didn't count towards the hours we had on this planet. While I'm not a Christian I always liked that sentiment.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 03:27PM

Does getting married mean giving up your identity. I'm single never married but I see this a lot.
1) She won't let him visit his family anymore?
2) All holidays with her parents. He won't let her see her friends anymore?
3) She can't for any reason leave to run errands till he's gone to work?
4) Every night they always have to sleep in the same bed?
5) He/she has to control the TV?
6) He/she has to control all the finances?

I'd say get a room with a lock and do what you want, Mark Hoffman style, ha ha.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 03:30PM

Back in the '70s, as a teenaged TBM, I was desperately interested in one of the football playoff games happening on a Sunday.
So I snuck a small transistor radio with me to church, hid it in one of the bathrooms, and made numerous trips to the bathroom to check on the score, during Sunday School and Sac. meeting.
On one of my check-up trips, with me sitting in a stall, earphone in, my team scored a touchdown...and I let out a "Yes!"

I then heard an intentional throat-clearing outside the stall. I peeked out to see the bishop standing there -- caught red handed.

"You should be in class, young man, and not listening to football on a Sunday," he said.
"Yes, sir," I grumbled.

"By the way...what's the score?" he asked.
And then he smiled.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 08:48PM

I used to run the ear phone cord up my sleeve and sit next to the wall with my head resting on my hand. If it wasn't football, it would be Casey Kasem's top 40. Apart from disco, the '70's weren't all bad.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 03:31PM

I think the deference to a Mormon bishop is a deeply programmed part of the culture. The only thing that trumps a Mormon bishop is the desire to be a super Mormon--that's where caffeine free Coke and sabbath swimming comes.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 03:36PM

This sort of thing happened with me too. While my wife wanted to do less TV, video games and stuff on Sunday. We never did do all that.

But there were some new "rules" that she gave me, like I was her kid.

No R rated movies. She had never seen one, and since we were now married I was no longer able to watch them either. Yep that's right, even if I saw it by myself I was not allowed too. I did go and see one with my Dad and my wife flipped out when she found out.

No WWE Wrestling. I grew up watching wrestling. And now I was no longer able to watch it. Why? Cause she thought it was dumb.

No MMA or anything of the like. Why do guys like things like this? she would ask. Watching men beat each other just didn't make sense to her.

After a few years...things sort of slowly changed. I was allowed to watch an MMA PPV cause my home teacher asked if I wanted to come.

She still doesn't like the fact that I will watch R rated movies from time to time. She doesn't even like if I record them on TV and watch them later. (Except the Matrix. She loves the TV PG-13 version of that movie)

Since leaving mormonism last year... I am standing up for myself more and more. I was like a horse who's will had been broken by the church. So when I got married I just fell into line. But now I have my power back. If I want to do something I will do it. And she wants to get her feathers ruffled well too bad. And I don't want to sound mean about it. But when it comes to things like r rated movies and what not. It's not going to hurt her if I watch them.

Date: January 09, 2015 03:52PM

From a number of posts, I have found you and I are very similar. Every other week I meet with a couple of buddies for guys night out (yes, she gets her nights out, too!)....to watch MMA fights. It, of course, wouldn't be allowed in our house.

And I realize how pathetic that sounds...I have to live by her rules, but it used to be easier than the guilt trips, passive aggressive behavior, and angry wife I would get by breaking the rules.

That being said, when I left 15 months ago, I've been leading a more honest life for myself. It's not always making her as happy as when I towed the Mormon line, but boy, am I enjoying myself more. Man is that they might have joy, righto?

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 04:14PM

No WWE because she thinks it's dumb? Is she allowed to watch romantic comedies or ridiculous movies on Lifetime? Do you get to forbid her from watching those because YOU think they are dumb?

I used to think WWE was dumb. Then I got married to a man who likes to watch it. I started watching it with him. Now we both like it. My problem, though, is that we DVR it, and hubby likes to fast forward through the trash talking and the divas fights. What a minute! That is what I like! He thinks the divas fights are stupid whereas I think they are hilarious!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 03:49PM

I give my power away too easily. I'm in a long-term relationship, but I have my autonomy. When we are at his house, we always end up watching what he likes NO MATTER WHAT. He tries to be accommodating???? He'll tell me to pick what I want to watch on TV and then he ends up turning it to SyFy or Fox news. EVERY TIME. So I spend a few evenings with him and I spend a few evenings at my own home.

I have seen it too many times in marriages.

I loved watching football as my father and brothers watched it. It was a regular argument in our home. I decided I would learn to like football because of this. So I married someone who made fun of me for watching football and I quit watching it.

It is INSANE what we give up for our SO.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 04:07PM

We have a large group of people in Chattanooga getting together for the Packer game on Sunday. It is at a sport's bar. Should be fun. Of course, no church...

Date: January 09, 2015 04:14PM

around these parts of Wisconsin, packer football is religion. :) and the bars are church's.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 04:37PM

I noticed that!

I visited Randolph, WI years ago on business (Jung Seed) and bought some delicious cheese as well as official GBP cheeseheads at Shultz's Cheese Haus ( http://schultzscheese.com ) near Beaver Dam (just south on Highway 151).

The cheese was out-of-this-world good!

My wife and I still have the cheeseheads...and will wear them from time to time.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 04:41PM

Packer football…

Why does that evoke an image of a helmet with Boyd's picture on the side for a logo?

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 05:46PM

Reminds me of being seventh day adventist as a kid. Tv was off on Friday nights at sundown. No fun books or groovy music just religious stuff. I did not enjoy this and no Saturday morning cartoons.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 06:03PM

I never could figure out why some parents were so strict? Sunday was a real family day for us. So we either had friends and/or family out for dinner or went to my aunt and uncle's ranch to ride horses and we always played something...and watched world series baseball religiously when the Sunday afternoon games were on back in the day, oh and we also never missed an episode of "Bonanza" after sac meeting wither. And I guarantee my Dad was a better man than a lot LDS tyrant fathers who thought their religious tyranny was gonna get them in to the CK or at least give them Cult street cred. amongst other TBM's.

Ron Burr

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 09:23PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 08:36PM

Cult street cred....love this term.
Will be using it going forward.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 06:54PM

And I thought it was DEVO who cracked that whip.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 07:03PM

I grew up in the strict Sunday home buy my whole extended family is nevermo so if they visited or we saw them on Sunday we did whatever they were doing, like Nascar races ;) I also had a bishop as a teen that was famous for his super bowl parties, he invited the whole ward, tons of food, everyone went even if you didn't like football

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 07:06PM

I must admit tht despite being a TBM I didn't make my kids sit around bored on Sunday. After Church they were pretty well allowed to do what they wanted. They even swam in the summer. I figured if they sat quietly in church and were good they deserved to be kids after. I saw no evil or disrespect in playing. I did not allow unrestricted TV watching at any time, chores and homework had to be done first and there was book reading, storytime before bed, without the TV on. On Sundays we always watched Walt Disney as a family in the evenings after bathtime and dinner. Thinking back, I am glad I did it that way, it was one thing I got right anyway, despite all the indoctrinisation, brainwashing.

Posted by: Happilymarried ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 07:22PM

I have been married for 22 happy years. I do not act like my husband's mother and he does not act like my father. We are both never mo's, we are both Christians, but neither of us try to control the other's faith. We don't agree on everything faith based, but we let each other work out our own salvation with God. That is in the Bible,

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; For it is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Philippians 2:12-13

Quote that to your wife.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 07:35PM

As a lifetime single person, I've never understood the mentality of "my spouse won't let me do [blank,]" especially if whatever you are doing doesn't really affect the spouse at all. I thought marriage is for grownups!

Posted by: cmgone ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 08:08PM

I've been married 16 years to a wonderful Never Mormon man. I will never understand anyone saying a spouse "can't" do something. I married a man, he has his own likes and dislikes and I am a woman with very different likes and dislikes. Sometimes we disagree on what we like or dislike and that is fine. If we want to watch different things we have two or more tv's. If he wants to go out with friends fine, if I want to go out with friends fine. Neither of us are the boss of the other, but we do respect each other enough to compromise at times.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 09, 2015 08:46PM

Many schools and universities have graduation services on a Sunday. I have always wondered how many kids could not attend these ceremonies because of rabid TBM parents.

Exmos should probably always hold funerals on Sundays, with an open bar.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.