Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 01:34PM

Has anyone on the board heard from someone directly who was protected from something awful by the magic undies?

Every time I hear of it, it is through someone's cousin's best friend's brother-in-law's third cousin one removed's veterinarian's sister's mother.

This particular person mentioned above heard that someone she knew had been in a fire in their home and their legs had 3rd degree burns EXCEPT where the garmies were and those areas remained lily white and delightsome.

What I challenge TBMs to do is put their tithing money where their garmies are and show up in SM ready to show the ward the burn scars and how they stop right at the garmies line. Never happen! FAKE as ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 01:50PM

The stake patriarch claimed that his magic underwear protected him from a dog bite.

The Stake president claimed that he dropped a power tool onto his thigh and it ripped through his trousers but left his garmies unharmed

and then there's Paul H Dunn

Date: January 12, 2015 01:53PM

What happened to Paul H Dunn? HOw did his save his sorry ass?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 02:08PM

Here's some of his "stories" unfortunately these were usually told at firesides and stake conferences before recordings:
http://www.mormonthink.com/QUOTES/paulhdunn.htm

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 02:09PM

Paul was in a foxhole with squad mates. It was at night and they were under withering fire from German machine gunners. It was hopeless. So they agreed that their only chance was for everyone to make a run for it at the same time. So everybody lit out, running like crazy. Only Paul made it. <sigh> Much to his dismay his best friend in the world, who was with him in that foxhole, didn't make it. When Paul made the safety of the nearby woods, he found bits and pieces of his clothing torn off by bullets, including the heel of one boot.

<heavy sigh>

There was really heavy sighing when it turned out to be a complete fabrication, as confirmed by the best friend who'd been with him in Europe during the war, and was still alive.

Posted by: SuperAnon!! ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 02:14PM

I know one thing the sacred garments won't protect you from, not that most guys would mind: a BJ, even when you have to stop to explain what the garments are. (This was back during the one-piece era.)

I hinted to the Bishop that I'd sinned, but I refused to give him the details, only confirming that we hadn't "gone all the way." Now of course, I tell myself what an idiot I was.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 09:52PM

One of his more memorable lies: "Fire in the hole!"

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 09:52PM

It's quite obvious that they don't protect from dementia...

Date: January 13, 2015 03:11AM

Oh I remember now. Dunn is the one who made up all those stories about the fab garmies. Liar. Gee imagine that... a liar in the CULT!

If garmies protected, fire depts across the entire world would be them to protect their fire fighters. All miitary personal would have them. I mran how dumb do they think we are?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 01:58PM

A family friend was using a flammable cleaning fluid that caught on fire.

He had 3rd degree burns on his arms and face. You could see the line where it stopped on his arms, and neck.

I've often wondered if it would have been exactly the same thing if he'd been wearing an ordinary T shirt under his shirt.

It was a chemical flash fire that burnt his exposed skin and his short sleeved dress shirt off. The second layer of clothing didn't catch on fire because the fire went out too fast. That's just a thought i've always had.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 02:03PM

My TBM family claims it was my garments I had on when I had a accident driving my motor scooter in 2000. I think in reality it was the soft patch of grass I landed on nearby.

Posted by: Ether ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 02:11PM

Here's the issue I have with garments protecting people... If they do indeed protect, why are children and teens not given this option of protection? It's similar to having a law that allow adults to wear seatbelts, but not kids under 18.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 03:02PM

Yes! And why don't they give them to the military, police officers, firefighters, etc.? Garmies are so much lighter and more manueverable than bullet-proof vests!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 07:39PM by hangar18.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 02:13PM

She and I were hit head on by a six-wheeler truck.

I had many minor injuries. She had a concussion, skull fracture, broken jaw, broken nose, broken arm, and a totally crushed leg. She was pronounced dead but somehow revived and lived. She always said her garments saved her because all of her injuries were to areas not covered by the sacred fabric.

Date: January 12, 2015 02:22PM

Your mom may well (or could have been, depending on her current location) be the spokesperson for the new "Hoodie Garments" featuring a tiny sewn-in 'CTR' logo at the crown of the hoodie.

Not that many TBMs actually use their brains, but why not protect it?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 06:20PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 02:22PM

I've heard of fireproof bibles. My ex's trailer burned up. Everything gone except the family bible, which wasn't even singed.

I used to be close friends with a real witch, the kind who could push people with her mind, like the Jedi mind trick. It was fun to watch. People in garmies could not be pushed.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 02:25PM

A TBM friend told me this story of protection by garments.

Her father-in-law was a mission president in some central American country. He and his assistant were killed in a plane crash but because they were wearing garments their bodies weren't disfigured and the families could have open casket funerals.

It's a miracle!

Date: January 12, 2015 02:39PM

Here's the link to the DN story on this event:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/322224/LDS-MISSION-PRESIDENT-COUNSELOR-DIE-IN-PLANE-CRASH-IN-GUATEMALA.html?pg=all

There's not much detail, but it says this:

"... among 13 people killed when the plane he was aboard crashed into a mountainside at 11 p.m. ... There were no survivors, and wreckage was scattered over a 300-meter area."

Maybe people from other countries have different standards as to what constitutes 'disfigurement.' Maybe in your story-teller's mind, it takes limbs being torn off? Or maybe it's just more faith promoting. I'd prefer that my garments allow me to walk away from the plane's wreckage unscathed. That would certainly promote my faith!

Posted by: Barnupcrik ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 09:36PM

I've posted this before. I witnessed and investigated a head on crash. Larger vehicle, no injuries. Passenger car, Young male driver killed and young female severely injured. They had just hours before put on their first set of garments and were married in the SLC temple. And what was the promise given you as the temple worker helped you put them on? The male was a convert, no mission and first time through the temple.

Date: January 12, 2015 10:00PM

Your story doesn't prove that garmies don't protect; it just "proves" that ghawd waited til they'd gone to the temple before calling them to the next level, for their new assignment.

<gag>

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 04:00AM

I remember the plane crash in 1965 at the Salt Lake Airport:

http://www3.gendisasters.com/utah/3856/salt-lake-city-ut-flaming-jetliner-crash-nov-1965

I remember hearing about a relative of my uncle by marriage who was in the plane and survived with minor burns and bruises, and of course his garments saved him, or so his family said. I didn't know that side of the family so am not sure what they said about it.

I do remember being at "Mutual" that night and there was a missionary in our ward who was expected home that night from his mission in London, I think. (I can't remember what I had for lunch but that's stuck in my mind). He either missed the flight or it was rescheduled so he was safe. It never crossed my mind that the garments didn't really have anything to do that.

Posted by: Ikki ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 04:38AM

If TBM believe that garments are a protection from outside threats, don't they find strange that they don't protect from inside threats - illness, deseases... How do they justify this?

I had two former branch presidents die from cancer within a year from each other (they were both in their early 50s), and this in a branch with just three active priesthood holders! The branch closed right after the death of the second branch president.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 07:29AM

Underwear helping to protect from burns is not that uncommon. If you look at the many pictures of the aftermaths of fires and bombings where people received 3rd degree burns, you'll notice that a huge number of these people had their outer clothes burned off, but their underwear was still often untouched. In that awful plane crash at Ramstein, Germany, back in the late 80s, the pictures featured a guy (who later died from his burns) walking around in his underwear, and the only clothing left were the large felled seams of his bluejeans down his legs, around his cuffs, etc.

The whole bullshit about garments offering protection only came about when Willard Richards refused to (or just failed to) destroy his garments when he visited Joseph Smith. Since the garments would give them away as polygamists, a fact they were trying to deny, Smith ordered them all to destroy their garments. Richards showed up in his, and then was the only person spared death or grievous injury. So the lore took off and Mormons have claimed since that garments protect you physically.

Posted by: Ikki ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 08:09AM

Good morning, cludgie.

Oh, Ramstein, so sad and tragic, and unfortunately caused by my beloved Frecce Tricolori.

I think garments can protects from burns, because of the thicker cotton they are made of (DH wears 100% cotton garments and they are pretty thick), which doesn't burn as fast as other fibers. I imagine the acrilic ones can burn as fast as any other pieces of clothing. What do you think?

Date: January 13, 2015 08:26AM

Yeah, thinking of you, I sort of didn't want to bring up the Frecce Tricolori. Theirs was dangerous maneuver by anyone's standards, and they staged it so that at the finale the lead aircraft was flying right toward the crowd.

All of these stunt pilots lose people. A few years before at Ramstein, a Canadian pilot crashed his jet onto the Autobahn and killed a whole family. Even with the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds occasionally fly into each other and kill each other. About 20 years ago all the Thunderbird pilots were killed in practice when they flew their jets into the ground as they followed the lead pilot, who flew his plane into the ground.

Date: January 13, 2015 08:28AM

I know that the nylon garments used to melt and injure you even if the fire wasn't bad. How do you say, "The opposite of protection?"

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 08:24AM

I knew personally one story of how a brother who was expected to be the next SP at least, was in a severe auto accident a block from the chapel. I knew his family and him as they were in our ward at the time. He was badly injured but, behold, he lived because of his garmies! He had recently sold his business for umpteen millions and never became SP because of the injuries.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 08:25AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.