Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 07:38PM

Has anyone come across any surviving pamphlets or sermons from other preachers that contain "Deep thoughts" that Joseph Smith cribbed for his writings?

What I mean is, while more research shows that things like the three degrees of heaven was taken from Swedenborg and the temple ceremonies ripped off from the masons, I'm sure Smith and Cowdery lifted freely from other preachers they'd seen and/or read.

I was reading the article about Nephi being a scribe, and his reference to "withered reeds", and I'll bet there's either a bible quote similar to that or a travelling preacher said it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: In a hurry (Saree) ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 07:51PM

Isaiah 19:6:

And they shall turn the rivers far away; and the brooks of defence shall be emptied and dried up: the reeds and flags shall wither.

King James bible

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 09:39PM

The first vision may fall into this category. I recall reading an account of someone who, coincidentally, lived near js and had a first vision type experience just a few years before js. I think I read about this on Mormonthink.com.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 10:23PM

Re: First vision--I know there were a bunch of people having visions around that area and era, so it was not uncommon; I have read a comparison of Norris Stearn's vision that was soooo damn close to JS' (well, at least *one* of his versions) to stretch credulity.

Posted by: orthus ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 11:24PM

Grant Palmer's book "An Insider's View of Mormon Origins" is pretty much completely focused on how "holy Joe" stole, borrowed and plagiarized from all types of people, books and sources available at the time. If you haven't read the book, I would highly recommend it. I would bet it would contain a great deal on what you are looking for.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.