Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:23AM

Was this "famous" apostate really Glenn Beck?

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1431842,1431842#msg-1431842

God, that would be monumental, regardless of your ideology, wouldn't it?

Background: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1483699

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:29AM

I remember that one... thanks for digging it up and possibly associating it with Glenn. But do you think that Glenn really already resigned on the down-low? Also, I thought that Glenn as recently as a few months back had some big defense for the church on one of his programs... and a link was posted here about it.

Anyway. Maybe. Would be interesting.

Date: January 13, 2015 12:41AM

I thought of that too, so it might not be him. It would be hard for him to leave on the down-low, and I'm sure too many Mormons keep him in the lime light.

My dad worships him, so I would love to see him come to the light. I would like to see my self-righteous, know-it-all, prophet-worshiping, sack-of-shit dad wrap his head around that.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:49AM

Hell yeah! You could be my long-lost brother.

Date: January 13, 2015 02:53AM

Our brotherhood is legion.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:01PM

William Law Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> My dad worships him,

My condolences.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 03:32PM

That was a truly articulate and spot-on description of the Beckhead...

You might consider a career change. The language was worthy of a cabdriver (big smiley face).

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:40AM

Quick someone run a wordprint analysis of the post and Beck's facebook post!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:57AM

Hysterical thread you found there William. I remember that one. Wouldn't it be crazy if that really WAS Glenn Beck?!

Somebody in that thread actually suggested GB as the mystery poster. Sweet Baby Jayzus, could it be true? (I'm speaking "Evangelical" here in honor of Beck's convert status and his former beliefs as a bible-thumper). Welcome Glenn. Just wanna make sure you feel comfortable and all. Amen.

Heh. ;o)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2015 01:03AM by shannon.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 01:12AM

I have noticed that a lot of people, after discovering the LDS con job that has been pulled on them, as well as families that they know have a lot of anger.

Perhaps we will see someone famous go public in their apostasy.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:02PM

deco Wrote:

> Perhaps we will see someone famous go public in
> their apostasy.

We have. A Pulitzer-prize-winning political cartoonist, as a
matter of fact.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:57PM

baura Wrote:
> deco Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> We have. A Pulitzer-prize-winning political
> cartoonist, as a
> matter of fact.

Yes, and that was a great accomplishment in 1993. Only 21 years ago.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 04:49AM

Kinda sounds like him... I was also thinking Jon Huntsman, Jr as well.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 05:59AM

Glenn Beck? 'accomplishments'? Same sentence?

Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:39PM

yes, he has accomplished things, but notice that word is in quotes.

Date: January 13, 2015 06:17AM

From Salt Lake to where the Beckster lives this isn't him (He lives in Texas).

Criminy people; some of us work hard to make RFM a credible site, and then this nonsense is tossed in...

They'll be laughing theirs hineys off over on Mormon Dialogue at this one.

Now, if you want to look up how deeply Beck--and his mentor W.Cleon Skousen--is enmeshed in LDS insanity, go visit ldsfreedomforum.com.

It'll do you some good to see just how nutso those sorts are (and some of you, as well).

BTW, I figured out who it was. It's the guy who was sitting at the same table as Jesus Smith and myself at last October's Exmormon Conference.

Date: January 13, 2015 10:32AM

I was the one who added this post, and I agree, I might not should have ought to. But, I couldn't resist after someone posted the Glenn Beck Facebook post.

The RFM post about "you all know me and I already left" sounded pretentious, so it's easy to pick on. Since you know who it was, you can tell us if this person is legitimately as awesome as he/she claims to be (I'm not asking for a name).

Personally, my take is that Glenn Beck probably isn't even referring to the church in his post. He sounds like he's trying to drum up interest in whatever he's about to cover. I don't think he's the type to have a existential crisis.

People make their own meaning to such cryptic posts like Beck's--just look at the responses. It's obvious no one knows what he's talking about, but everyone assumes they know exactly what it is.

I really would have loved to hitch a ride with you all the way to Texas, though. But, you're right. Maybe another time.

Date: January 13, 2015 03:21PM

If I say any more, I'll "out" him, which is something I want to avoid. I may see him at some point this winter, and if I get permission I may say more, or he may come here and post something identifiable.

As far as Glenn Beck is concerned, the only redeeming thing about his membership in the LDS Church is they don't serve whiskey or offer cocaine in sacrament meetings. Imagine that yayhoo when he was in his cups...

The old saying is "if you sober up a horse thief, you've got a sober horse thief." And personally, I'll wager there are a lot in the LDS hierarchy who wish he would shut up. Not me, of course; he's number two on my lampoon list, after Daniel C. Peterson, although Rodney Meldrum is moving up quickly.

Beck is not representative of authentic recovery, IMO, but 12-Step groups don't ex-communicate members even if they relapse or steal money or seduce other members' wives or worse, attempt to become gurus in their own little fiefdoms. The issue is too serious.

Here, incidentally, is a list of some individuals who do have or had legitimate recovery and are representative of what can be achieved. The living ones have all revealed their membership in the various fellowships. BTW, I have no desire to be a "guru"; some days I'm a great example of what recovery is all about, and other days I just don't drink.

Past Members Who've Moved on to the "Great Meeting in the Sky"

Betty Ford
Don Newcombe
Harold Hughes
Wilbur Mills
Mickey Mantle

Folks Living I know to be Sober Who've Spoken of their Alcoholism

Dick Van Dyke
Mary Tyler Moore
Martin Sheen
Daniel J. Travanti
Christopher Kennedy Lawford
Patrick J. Kennedy
Chris Matthews
David Letterman
Craig Ferguson

That's just for starters; it's an equal opportunity disease...

And a moment of silence, please, for Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Whitney Houston, and Amy Winehouse... And all the others, of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2015 03:27PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: January 13, 2015 03:35PM

Fair enough. He's well-known, but not Beck.

I respect people's privacy, so I won't push.

Thanks for responding back.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 09:19AM

Sounds like a Glenn Beck humble-brag to me.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 09:23AM

It's Daniel C. Petersen.

He's had enough of the tscc making a mug out of him. Embarrassing him through doctrinal disavowels and firing him. He saw the truth before but it took a while for the reality to sink in. Now he knows he's gonna come out batting for the truth.

No loss of face. Waking up is waking up. We've all been there.

Posted by: screedwriter ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 11:03AM

I live near Beck and he's been attending the Gateway church in Southlake. It's known for being the flashy, upper-class church in the area. I'm thinking Beck has found a new religious base to cash in on...

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 11:06AM

Whoa . . . interesting!

;o)

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:22PM

Ditto

Date: January 13, 2015 01:05PM

I am sure it's way more entertaining that TSCC meetsings. A few years ago Gleen mentioned how he would be teaching the 13 to 15 year olds Sunday school at his ward and he shared some home teaching experience. He could be on another religious journey.

Take a very famous talk radio host and surround him with other worshippers, adults mind you, that can respect some of his views OR the experience of teaching 13 to 15 years punk ass church kids each Sunday -- feeling like they didn't get the message (because the message is weak anyway) from the sanitized lessons.

I know which one I would choose if I was a believer.

Posted by: Thomas $ Monson ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:44PM

Date: January 13, 2015 01:02PM

Hehe. Snort!

Date: January 13, 2015 12:52PM

Glenn had a mormon special...Ask Glenn anything when his Theblaze network was still called GBTV. I think it was late 2011 or in 2012.

The guy still has a company to run and at least works with a lot of non mos and plenty of everybody at his company. His health benefits for the company are pretty nice! Much better than other places.

I don't know if his business partner is mormon or not. I forget his name but he's behind the scenes and has a financial interest. Other than that, I think the company only has a mortgage on their studio property. Other than that I think they operate off of the subscriptions, advertising targeted towards conservatives. If anything, of GB left mormonism and just embraced any other Christianity group that he currently works with ..he might even increase 3x his business. In a way, he still makes money from God fearing people THAT also love the constitution.

Date: January 13, 2015 01:25PM

Hahaha. This sounds like more crazy to excuse away other crazy.

I agree that he, and many others, have a brain disease.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_dennett_on_dangerous_memes

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 01:32PM

The guy's a shock jock. He will use anything and everything to shock and raise eyebrows. He has no core ideology except to sell himself. Personally, I hope he remains a mormon because he's a good fit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.