Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 15, 2015 10:12PM

For those of you who don't know what the Dunning-Kruger effect is, it is the phenomenon where incompetent people overestimate their ability to handle something, because they are too ignorant on any given task to realize that they are in fact, well ignorant. The effect also shows that the inverse is also true, truly competent people tend to downplay their own skills, because they assume what is simple for them, is also simple for everyone else.

This reminds me of Mormonism, because the Mormons always assume they are experts on their own history, even though most of them are ignorant of the vast majority of it. On the other hand, it is easy for those of use in the ex-Mormon community to wonder how Mormons simply can not get it, because we often don't realize how hard it can be for someone to look open and honestly and their deepest beliefs.

Actually, really I just learned about the Dunning-Kruger Effect, or at least the proper name for it, and wanted to show off while it was still fresh in my mind. That is the real point of this post. I'm still trying to figure out a way to wedge in a word someone coined on the website Fark, called Dunning-Krugerants, which refers to various commodities (in this particular case bitcoins) that are driven way past their practical value, by ignorant investors hoping to cash in quick. Sometimes with money they borrowed, in order to invest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 15, 2015 10:17PM

Though Dunning-Krugerants could also refer to Miami Beach Condos, bullets, rifles, gold, or any other product, many of them with real value, that is vastly over valued by ignorance.

Date: January 15, 2015 10:24PM

Dunning-Krugerands.

Posted by: Alberta Ted ( )
Date: January 15, 2015 10:21PM

I've also noticed that religious Dunning-Kruger sufferers, not just Mormons, consider themselves to be somehow "special" with favour from God and an inside rack to immortality. They truly think the world revolves around them.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 15, 2015 10:22PM

with mormonism it's the Freddy Kruger effect.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.