Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 04, 2017 07:15PM

I went to check the mail today and BF received something from TSCC in the mail. (He hasn't resigned) It's an invitation to attend the local stake conference tomorrow because Mervyn B. Arnold of the 70 will be speaking. It concludes with
"We encourage you to come and participate with us as we strive to strengthen faith in HF and in JC and His Atonement. We know that as we come seeking for answers to questions, our loving FIH will answer our prayers and give us additional help in our lives."

The temptation to go and heckle and pepper with sarcastic questions is overwhelming. :D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 04, 2017 07:22PM

>>"We encourage you to come and participate with us as we strive to strengthen faith in HF and in JC and His Atonement..."

The question is, will *any* of Arnold's talk be based on Heavenly Father, or Jesus Christ and his atonement? I'm thinking not.

My bet would be on, stay in the boat, doubt your doubts, attend the temple, and pay your tithing. And you will be blessed! Blessed, I tell you!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 04, 2017 09:08PM

Itzpapalotl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "We encourage you to come and participate with us
> as we strive to strengthen faith in HF and in JC
> and His Atonement..."

In other words, "We encourage you to come and participate with us
as we strive to believe this bullshit."

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 04, 2017 09:17PM

It's gotta cost an arm and a leg to send out members of the Seventy all over the place.

Somebody needs to put together a SeventyBot--a generic robot that looks like a Medicare-eligible white guy--with a half-dozen or so canned speeches inside, complete with a string in the back you pull like on a Chatty Kathy doll.

Seems like it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to have UPS deliver SeventyBots to stake conferences rather than deal with flesh-and-blood (alleged) human beings.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 11:19AM

Actually, that letter is sent to determine if the ward roster/membership is accurate. Look at the envelope to see if it says "Address Correction requested". That is so if you moved and left a forwarding address the Post Office will just send it back to Bishop (or designated minion) with a new address, they will then forward your records to your new ward. Your Welcome!

This time of year, the wards are culling the roster to see who really lives there and who doesn't.

Stake Conference flyer, Elders Quorum party, empty envelope, it doesn't matter, they know that anyone who cares already knows since they probably have been all abuzz about it at the Ward House. The point is to mail you something and see if it comes back.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 11:22AM by Whiskeytango.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 11:21AM

If you were to go, do not expect to actually be able to ask questions. The attendee is to go to the meeting with softball questions to be asked in prayer, and then The Holy Confirmation Bias Ghost will tell you that everything you heard is true and that your questions if too far out of bounds are irrelevant.

Don't waste your time.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 11:24AM

Oh so close. The stake in my area is having their stake conference and that Arnold name rang a bell. Alas, I checked and it is a different guy visiting.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 06, 2017 12:41AM

Mervyn B. Arnold???

Wow, you get to be IN THE SAME ROOM with Mervyn B. Arnold.

AWESOME!!

By the way, who the hell is Mervyn B. Arnold?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.