Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 12:49PM

I'm posting this for recovering Mormons who know TSCC is bogus but can't ignore their memories of the "warm and fuzzy" part. You still need to reconcile the supernatural with reality, so...

Dr Amit Goswami, a former quantum physics professor, explains why consciousness is the ground state of reality. He explains why the upward causality of the material philosophy to produce life is physically impossible and why the downward causation of consciousness is the only thing that makes sense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQ63AOrs6s

He calls this view "monistic idealism". It works very well with Rupert Sheldrake's morphogenetic fields. Sheldrake presents cutting edge consciousness research that demonstrate the non-material nature of consciousness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnA8GUtXpXY

This is weird stuff only because you were raised with material dualist doctrine that's in conflict with direct experience. You don't remember being a toddler experiencing one thing and being taught another. So, roll back the clock and watch the videos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 01:09PM by bradley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 01:19PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 01:28PM

Thanks for pointing people already possibly a bit confused to complete nonsense that will confuse them even more.
(that was sarcasm)

"This is weird stuff only because you were raised with material dualist doctrine..."

No, actually, it's nonsense because it's nonsense -- and "weird." A good example that otherwise "smart" people can be complete idiots.

You'll note, I hope that there is no evidence of any kind to support his claims. The same goes for Rupert Sheldrake.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 03:09PM

Im not quite atheist, but its not because of any "warm and fuzzy" bs which dont mean anything anyway.

Reconciling the supernatural with reality is easy... I have an active imagination. there, reconciled.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 03:26PM

nonsequiter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reconciling the supernatural with reality is
> easy...

Yeah, some super adhesive glue, a horn, and a white horse.

And maybe a virgin.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 06:34PM

I believe in nothing. I am also open...

What I mean by this is that my views are not fixed. I feel that TBMs, hard core atheists, new agers, fundamental Christians, you name it, are believers. They are stuck in their beliefs and are rigid and will defend them to the ends of the earth.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 07:03PM

Ah, the old, you feel for the Mormon BS, I'll bet I can get you to fall for MY BS as well ploy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 07:04PM by MJ.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 02:47PM

saw that theory presented on an episode of "Baywatch" but then the girls started running on the beach again and I got distracted.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 06:50PM

(quote from a 'Friends' episode, from Chandler)

"Look at 'em run!" :)

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 07:03PM

Consciousness is the ground state of reality. Lordy, lordy.

I going out on a limb here and thinking that he meant human consciousness. He wasn't referring at all to the consciousness of say a Gorilla, or Dolphin, or Meerkcat. What happens if all humans die? Does the universe cease to exist?

I think this guy just can't get past the fact that the universe was not created for and by one species on a planet with billions. His little explanation keeps his comfort zone about the whole thing safe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 07:06PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 08:00PM

Goswami wrote the text we used in my upper division QM class.

However in this area he has stopped being a physicist and become
a philosopher who is heavily influenced by his Hindu background.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 08:10PM

But I know for a fact he is no less full of $hit than his cousin Deepak Chaparitto....

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 10:39PM

A Touch of Atheism softens your hands as you wash the dishes. Now available with fragrance.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 05:47AM

Oh, while I like a bit of fragrance, I'm afraid I have allergies. Does the non-fragrance variety come without bullshit? I have a highly sensitive bullshit-o-meter and so far I've been quite happy with the full strength atheism. I've never experienced a rash from it, AND it's strengthened my resolve as well. ;-)

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 10:48PM

I guess there are some opinions on this subject!
Personally, I think consciousness is fascinating, even if I don't know what to make of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.