Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 05:16PM

I live in the DC South Mission. One of the missionaries is a kid from Utah who I was his Sunday School teacher, and teacher adviser a few years ago. I just found out that he's serving out here, and we added me on FB. He's a nice kid, and has no idea of my unbelief.

I decided to look at the facebook page for the mission. And I saw this little gem.

"The missionaries in the DC South Mission are striving to have effective studies in the morning in order to be prepared to find and teach the elect!"

And I had the thought....does that mean that if you don't listen, then you aren't "elect" and just aren't worth anything?

It's so see to see with things like this why Mormon's look down on others. Because they feel they are better then everyone else.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 05:46PM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 06:37PM

Sounds calvinistic to me. I didn't think the morg was into calvinism.

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:01PM

Makes me dislike them even more. I can't stand any forms of Calvinism.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 07:09PM

I'll avoid the south side of the region for a few days. I'm not elect anyway.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 07:17PM

Interesting. They used to say their goal was make sure everyone on earth had a chance to hear and accept the gospel. Now they only want to bother with the "elect". Who talks like that anyway?

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:03PM

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 10:47PM

I thought all Mormons thought they were chosen and elect. I've heard many a time that "many are called, but few are chosen" and that we (Mormons) are an elect people (because they chose to believe the gospel).

When I left the church, among the many varied emotions I felt was one of disappointment at no longer being special and chosen, haha! Just a fleeting emotion. You hear SO MUCH about how you're such a special beloved daughter of god.

I think it's a way for the members to soothe themselves by labeling others as NOT elect if they don't accept the gospel.

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:03AM

Taking a shortcut, I recently drove through the worst neighborhood in my midsize community. It's pretty ghetto; I wouldn't drive around there at night.

Lo and behold, whom do I spot wandering the street? You guessed it!

The mishies here must not have got the memo about the "elect".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.