Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 10:47PM

I've heard folks on RfM refer to Bill Maher in the same reverential tones tbms use for Joseph Smith. I hadn't listened to him before, so tonight I was pleasantly surprised to find him on t.v. as a was flipping through channels in my hotel room. However, I was pretty disappointed with what I saw.

Bill seems to be the intellectual equal of Rush Limbaugh, i.e., a very limited world view dictated by his political ideology. Bill's inability to objectively analyze issues mirrored Rush's same limitation, although obviously they fall on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

I was also under the impression that Bill was supposed to be funny. However, his humor primarily consisted of histrionics coupled with profanities, and it seemed pretty childish to me.

From messages on rfm, I expected Bill to be a font of wisdom. Maybe I caught him on a bad night. However, I must say I was not impressed. Not at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 10:53PM

He's good, as a commentator, and good on his show when he moderates a panel, but I never found him particularly funny either, well except for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8U_JveHS8E

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 10:56PM

He is an outspoken atheist. Hence he is popular here. I agree with many of his political views and he can be funny, but he just oozes superiority which I find off putting. He also has some strange views such as being anti vaccine. A little of him goes a long way with me.

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 10:59PM

Agree about the vaccine thing.

Date: January 20, 2015 11:10PM

You nailed it on his sense of superiority, and I found that characteristic to be particularly disagreeable. Additionally, I have a hard time respecting people with a superiority complex since their self perception tends to be based more on a lack of self awareness than an objective evaluation of their abilities/intelligence.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:14PM

I find him trenchant.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:18PM

Well, you didn't catch much. But if the profanities throw you off, don't bother listening to more.

Date: January 20, 2015 11:26PM

The profanities, per se, don't throw me off. It's just there didn't seem to be any substance behind them.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:18PM

He's a mixed bag, and his arrogance can be tiresome, but I greatly appreciate his no-nonsense apolitical stance on free speech. It's refreshing.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:26PM

My impression also.

Then I heard he was anti vaccine. Obviously he's never seen a baby die of whooping cough. Never seen a baby whose mother was exposed to measles, and never seen a child lying in a hospital bed dying of polio. That's just the tip of the iceberg. His ignorance on that topic alone was enough.

Date: January 20, 2015 11:36PM

He fancies himself an expert on everything-science, politics, religion, vaccines-you name it. Hello,Bill, you are a comedian,not the final authority on everything under the sun. He is definitely a mixed bag.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:42PM

Have you seen those things? That must have been awful, I'm sorry you went through that.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:31PM

The two biggest threats to Joseph's Myth, Islam and all the other batshit crazy religions.

Date: January 20, 2015 11:39PM

Does he speak the truth or his opinions? From the limited amount I saw of his show, he seemed to spout his opinions, but not a lot of facts. I wasn't aware previously that he was anti vaccine, but that makes me doubt his ability to recognize the truth. The case for the efficacy of vaccines is almost as convincing as the evidence against the book of Abraham being a divinely inspired, historically accurate document.

Date: January 20, 2015 11:52PM

I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but PETA goes waaaay too far and he's on their board of directors.
They're busy fighting purebred dog breeders, while Rhinos and Elephants are going extinct due to idiots killing them for their tusks and horns, believing they have medicinal benefits, when they're about the same as your fingernails and teeth.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:41PM

In his own words:

"What I've read about what they think I'm saying is not what I've said. I'm not a germ theory denier. I believe vaccinations can work. Polio is a good example. Do I think in certain situations that inoculating Third World children against malaria or diphtheria, or whatever, is right? Of course. In a situation like that, the benefits outweigh costs. But to me living in Los Angeles? To get a flu shot? No."

Date: January 20, 2015 11:42PM

Mostly his opinions. Since I tend to agree with his politics,I do have mixed feelings about him.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:48PM

He generally tells it like it is, although I disagree with a few things he has said. He's not right about everything, which would come as great surprise to him if he ever realized it.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 11:50PM

I think the reason that Maher specifically is popular on RFM is due to "Religulous." IIRC, Tal Bachman was interviewed on the movie's Mormonism segment.

ETA:

(Psst, Tal. This is your cue to talk about any impressions from the interview or other behind the scenes stuff on the movie.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 12:09AM by Book of Mordor.

Date: January 20, 2015 11:56PM

Ah yes, Religulous. I forgot about that. I'll have to watch it one of these days, especially if Tal is on there - I'm sure he had something good to say on the topic of Mormonism.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:00AM

Not a fan of Bill Maher...or most of the other self important talking heads on TV who think their superior view of things trumps all others....but Maher's views of religion bear paying attention to.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:09AM

I'm a liberal and an atheist and I don't really care for him. There's something off-putting about him. He has a very arrogant and condescending demeanor. And I wasn't a big fan of Religulous. I liked the concept of the movie but thought the movie failed on its mission.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:17AM

I like some of his material. I give him more credit than Rush Limbaugh because Maher only claims to be a comedian, while Limbaugh sells himself as a pundit.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:23AM

"his humor primarily consisted of histrionics coupled with profanities, and it seemed pretty childish to me."

Yep, he's a lot like Jon Stewart. :-)

Seriously, I liked what he had to say on Jimmy Kimmel's show last week. Look it up and watch it if you haven't seen it.

In many ways, he's a "friend" to the Ex-Mormon community because in his movie "Religulous", he interviewed Ex-Mormons Bill Gardiner and Tal Bachman.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 11:19AM

procrusteanchurch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard folks on RfM refer to Bill Maher in the
> same reverential tones tbms use for Joseph Smith.

Oh, stop. That's completely false. Nobody here has shown any "worship" of him, there's been no demand to accept uncritically anything he says, nobody thinks he's always right, and nobody demands you 'believe' what he says. Your statement is the rankest and most dishonest kind of hyperbole.

The guy speaks his mind, usually in a witty way. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't (his stance on vaccines is just stupid, for example). When he says something funny and/or poignant, it's worth sharing.

Stop pretending anybody worships him like mormons do Smith. That's ridiculous and dishonest.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 11:32AM

+

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:29PM

Exactly Kolob, who exactly "worships" Bill Maher at RFM?

Me?

Others?

That's silly. He's definitely a mixed bag. He's definitely arrogant. Even insufferable.

But sometimes, he's spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipu0ifyC-Xc

Sometimes.

Date: January 21, 2015 03:46PM

Holy cow, that's quite a reaction to what I had intended as a fairly innocuous statement. I've learned my lesson, though. If folks on rfm are so hyper sensitive, I'll avoid making tongue-in-cheek comparisons in the future. Sheesh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 03:46PM by procrusteanchurch.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:13PM

I don't know that I'd say the guy is popular with me as a person, but he definitely comes up with some quote worthy gems now and then.

Posted by: captain ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:40PM

The thing that drives me crazy is he always laughs at his own jokes.

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 12:43PM

He makes fun of Mormons and calls them out on their craziness.

Date: January 21, 2015 03:09PM

He's one social commentator who's not afraid to call it the way he sees it and doesn't apologize for it afterwards.

Posted by: Other Than ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 03:10PM

Mahr is a mixed bag. But I wouldn't put him in the worthless category Rush Limbaugh inhabits. Mahr actually has good ideas once in a while.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.