Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 08:25PM

He really couldn't stand Atheists, especially the "Fanatical" or "Professional" strains.
From the closed thread I asked what's the difference between "New Atheists" and plain old "Atheists"?
The only serious answers were basically that "New Atheists" are just more antagonistic towards the vast majority of the population who're NOT Atheists.
Sounds like Einstein would have hated New Atheists as much as he hated plain old fashioned "Fanatical Atheists."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 08:35PM

And what of nude atheists?

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 08:42PM

I’ve heard of those nude atheists. Aren’t they led by Richard Gawkins?

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 08:43PM

I thought it was sam's harry.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 08:47PM

I have no skin in this game.

Date: January 22, 2015 08:39PM

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 08:46PM

Koriwhore, what you write in your posts makes clear to me you are an atheist.

I've asked you many questions, which you generally ignore. I've yet to hear you explain your beliefs in a way that suggests you are anything but an atheist.

Feel free to explain how you're not if you're able.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 08:47PM by thingsithink.

Date: January 22, 2015 08:50PM

He reminds me of the self hating closet gays like Ted Haggard. Only Koriwhore is a self hating closeted atheist. In the same way Ted bashed gays, korihore bases atheist. fanatical one at that.

The only one fanatically posting new threads about atheism is Kori.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 08:58PM by MJ.

Date: January 22, 2015 08:56PM

So true.

Until Koriwhore can explain how a pantheist goes about understanding the all-encompassing god (the universe) is different from how an atheist goes about understanding the universe, I'm bored.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 09:29PM

thingsithink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Until Koriwhore can explain how a pantheist goes
> about understanding the all-encompassing god (the
> universe) is different from how an atheist goes
> about understanding the universe, I'm bored.

Bored? Seems Koriwhore has led a bunch of ya through a whole series of posts. Got more than a few of ya a little excited, it appears.

My understanding of one way to answer your question is by way of analogy: the way the brain is to mind is like the way the Universe is to God. Just as the mind does not reduce to the brain, God does not reduce to the Universe.

That's one way, easily voided by insisting that there is no such thing as the mind.

Human

Date: January 22, 2015 09:31PM

Thanks.

How do you define pantheism?

And, can you explain, without using an analogy, how a pantheist goes about understanding the all-encompassing god (the universe) is different from how an atheist goes about understanding the universe? I'm trying to figure out the practical difference.

For example, a christian might say the difference for them is they rely on the bible. I understand that difference. How about a pantheist?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 09:36PM by thingsithink.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 09:33PM

jesus christ Koriwhore isn't there an atheist website you could post all this stuff on.

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 09:43PM

the investigator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jesus christ Koriwhore isn't there an atheist
> website you could post all this stuff on.

Isn't there a rule against using 'Jesus Christ' and 'atheist' in the same sentence? Maybe in the AP style guide?

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 10:17PM

No.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 10:24PM

You kids and your new fangled ways of doing things!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 09:52PM

and you know this how ?

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 11:01PM

. . . was a "Fanatical Theist"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 11:03PM by steve benson.

Date: January 23, 2015 03:52PM

No I'm not any kind of a theist, including Atheist.
I'm not any kind of a gnostic, including agnostic.
I don't label myself in terms I reject, nor will I accept any kind of a label others place upon me, unless they're natural labels, like Homo Sapien Sapien, which is a very meaningful name and all any of us can do to live up to.

The Atheist label only carries with it liabilities and no upside for me,

#1. It's a self applied label that means nothing to me, since I don't believe in any kind of a personal God, why would I label myself with something I don't believe in?

#2. Atheism is not a world view, nor is it a philosophy of life. It's not any kind of a social organization I want to hang out with.

Like Sam Harris says, in "The Problem With Atheism",
"Another problem is that in accepting a label, particularly the label of “atheist,” it seems to me that we are consenting to be viewed as a cranky sub-culture. We are consenting to be viewed as a marginal interest group that meets in hotel ballrooms. I’m not saying that meetings like this aren’t important. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t think it was important. But I am saying that as a matter of philosophy we are guilty of confusion, and as a matter of strategy, we have walked into a trap. It is a trap that has been, in many cases, deliberately set for us. And we have jumped into it with both feet."

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/the-problem-with-atheism

A mostly White Male cranky sub-culture, with a serious sexism problem.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/03/new_atheisms_troubling_misogyny_the_pompous_sexism_of_richard_dawkins_and_sam_harris_partner/

As to what I do believe, I'm to the far left of the attached.

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2012/07/evolution.gif

So the closest I'd be on that chart is Buddhist, although I have my doubts about the some Buddhist teachings, like reincarnation. I'm with the Dalai Lama, "If there are discrepancies between my beliefs and the reality revealed by science, I need to change my beliefs, even if it was the Buddha himself who said it."

I'm about 99.99% certain that Evolution is real and how we got her over the past 1 billion years of life. I don't know how life started, but I see plenty of reason to believe that the genius that is the basis of life, came from elsewhere, like inside of a virus that got transported to Earth by some other celestial body that slammed into Earth.

My beliefs are closest to Epicureanism, combined with some elements of Stoicism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism, existentialism, American Transcendentalism and Native American Folk religion.

In a word, I'm a Dudeist, the slowest growing religion on the planet.

http://dudeism.com

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 03:57PM

I agree that new atheists are fanatical and I agree that Kori is an atheist regardless of what he likes to call himself.So is Sam Harris. Now can we talk about something else?

Date: January 23, 2015 05:30PM

If I'm an Atheist so was Einstein, a label he rejected numerous times on no uncertain terms. So do I.

Posted by: bonna dea unregistered ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 05:35PM

I have read alot of Einstein too. He denied being both a pantheist and an atheist. He simply did not believe in a personal god. There are lots of other options besides theist,pantheist and atheist. Deist for one. At any rate you have beaten this subject to death and done so on more than one board. Give it a rest.

Date: January 23, 2015 06:09PM

What are you the internet police?
You sound kind of like Joseph Smith ordering William Law to be silent or else!!!
Or Daniel Peterson attacking the messenger instead of really addressing the issues.
Einstein didn't like labels. Neither does Harris and neither do I.
He wasn't an Atheist. Neither Am I.
Is that ok with you?
If not, bite me.

Posted by: bonadea unregistered ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 06:19PM

I am not the internet police,but I am sick of watching you beat this dead horse. That is my opinion which I have a right to express. At least I am not taking up bandwidth with thread after thread saying the same things over and over.I imagine that I have some company on this,but,by all means, start a few dozen more threads on the subject.

Date: January 23, 2015 07:23PM

More than rapists.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 07:29PM

Well, that is extremely interesting since I am not an atheist. I am also not religious in a traditional way.I just wonder how long you are going to keep starting threads on the subject?

Date: January 23, 2015 07:53PM

Much less respond if you're sick of the subject then move along, duh!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 05:48PM

I might be an atheist. I don't know because of all these different kinds atheism. It's like "I can't define the thing I don't believe in, but whatever it is, I don't believe in it".

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."
-- Willy Wonka

Date: January 23, 2015 06:10PM

Seems like a cranky old man kind of a thing to do.
I much prefer articulating a meaningful world view.
Atheism ain't it.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 06:28PM

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 06:49PM

It does not matter that you may be: atheist, gnu atheist, or theist. The important thing is that you have found a way to feel superior to both.

HH =)

Date: January 23, 2015 07:27PM

At least claim to be superior to both. To me he is behaving as if he has to prove something in regards to both. That is not the behavior of someone that is superior to both.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 07:46PM

I agree with you. I've received many rude replies to my postings on this topic just because I honestly believe in nothing, really and have no desire to slam my beliefs down others throats..

Also, I've explained my position. In that my husband died suddenly about 21 months ago from a brain aneurysm. His passing has caused me to be more open and to try and be a nicer person. And, not ONE poster has ever said they were sorry for my loss or even expressed one ounce of concern...

Date: January 23, 2015 08:06PM

I lost the love of my life to breast cancer a couple of years ago. It makes you grateful for every day.
I believe what Aurelius said,
"Live a good life.
If there are Gods and they are just, they will reward you for having lived a good and noble life.
If there are Gods, but they are unjust, why call them Gods?
If there are no Gods, well then we will be dead, but the memory of our good and noble will live on in the hearts and minds of our loved ones."

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 08:01PM

I don't read every thread and was not aware of your husband's passing. You have my deepest sympathy. I suspect many people were also unaware of it or they would have responded.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.