Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 02:28PM

http://www.ldsliving.com/story/77873-miracle-for-lds-dad-surviving-two-semi-26-car-pileup

Somebody recently posted this on Facebook and it pissed me off. I'm glad he's alive, but one of the comments was "I saw this on the news, and my first thought was 'I wonder if he is LDS'".

In the article he also mentions the "power of the garment". Magical underwear to the rescue!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 02:30PM

past partners (who I am best friends with) was in a pileup 3 weeks ago. One of our other friends was killed in the accident, but my ex's partner did not die. He was pinned for an hour and has lacerations in his kidneys and 5 broken ribs, but he survived, was life-flighted and was in the ICU for a week.

I wonder why God saved this friend of mine? He is resigned LDS and he is gay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 02:30PM by cl2.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 01:13AM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 02:33PM

Well if everyone was Mormon and knew how to pray like one, there would be no more fatal accidents.

Til then better buckle up.

Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:02AM

Wouldn't it have been easier for gawd to just prevent the accident in the first place?

Praise be to the flying spaghetti monster for cotton poly magic underwear.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 04:01PM

That's either a great ad for Chevy trucks....or a terrible ad for Chevy trucks.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 04:34PM

If God was really looking out for this dude, he woulda made him lose his car keys for an hour that morning. Apparently this dude's so-called mormon God likes to screw with his faithful followers and make 'em suffer a little....

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 05:30PM

Maybe they could make garments for cars so they would be protected too.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 06:14PM

When will they make up their mind??????????????????

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/temple-garments
"Some people incorrectly refer to temple garments as magical or “magic underwear.” These words are not only inaccurate but also offensive to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There is nothing magical or mystical about temple garments, and Church members ask for the same degree of respect and sensitivity that would be afforded to any other faith by people of goodwill."

Now this guy is saying "...the protection that he offers His children, and the power of the garment...."

Someone should send him the above news straight from the horse's mouth that they have NO power.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 07:42PM

I saw this article pop up on my FB feed. Just browsing the comments, I noticed mormons were accrediting his survival to being LDS.
I also noticed a girl that I knew we arguing with a guy who called them "magic underwear." The guy claimed he was an ex-mormon, but this girl said he couldn't be since he was referring to the garments as "magic" when mormons don't believe that they can physically protect you.
Funny thing is, I grew up with this girl- we went to the same ward and had the same seminary class. I can confirm we WERE taught that the garments were a physical protection. I'd like to tell her that she's lying, but that's kind of stalker-ish... Still pretty funny to catch mormons lying to preserve the image of the church, and you know they are lying.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 07:48PM

That's what was getting me upset, he survived just because he was LDS. People will now tell this story in testimony meetings with teary eyes saying the church is true because one guy got really lucky.

I know that they claim that it isn't "magic" underwear, but growing up in the church I can't tell you how many times someone had a story in sacrament meeting about somebody getting burned or in a big accident and their garments protected them.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 08:29PM

Of course he was LDS. Anyone else would have been taken by the Lord. That's how it is Mormon Bizarro World.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 10:29AM

........ did you say bizarro? relative to MORmONISM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxjXmh4J2U

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 12:27AM

2 years ago I had a bad accident and ruptured my spleen and broke 3 ribs. I was at home,and laid on the floor for 4 hours,thinking any minute I would be able to get up. I had no idea I had ruptured my spleen and was bleeding to death. By the time I got to the hospital,the doctor said I had less than 20 minutes to live. Not only am I exmo and don't wear magic undies,I not once prayed about my condition. My 2 young kids sat by me the whole 4 hours,and finally convinced me to call 911. They saved my life.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 12:59AM

He was a very, very lucky man. But he should also thank the engineers who designed his truck. His description of it "collapsing like an accordion" with the preservation of the passenger compartment is exactly what the truck was designed to do in the event of a crash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 12:59AM by summer.

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 01:09AM

I was just thinking that very thing, having just come home from being an engineer working late on a highly regulated device. I might feel to thank God, but I hope I'd also call up Nissan and have them send a message to the bleary-eyed protractor jockeys in Japan and wherever else (nissan's airbags are actually done in Bountiful---I chose Nissan on a whim) who subsist on 7pm Ramen so they can triple check that they meet NTSB standards.

By all means, thank God. But render to Caesar, and to Ghosn.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 01:17AM

Wow, it looks like the guy is really suffering. If god can stop this sort of suffering and does not, god is a prick.

If God is letting the suffering happen to teach the guy something, God is abusive.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 03:04AM

... and if the Cougars lose and punch out the other team, it's because some of their players jerk off and drink coffee and beer (and fork cheerleaders) and deserve to be punished by the Lords Only Twoo Football Team.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 03:09AM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 12:38PM

Kaleb lived in the dorm room next to me in helaman halls...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.