Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 06:28PM

I drove my family to the beach this last Memorial Day weekend. My TBM wife had made arrangements for a substitute to teach her Primary class. While we were engaged in loud laughter and frivolous activities on the beach, she told me that she felt much more spiritual and closer to God at the beach than in church, and she wished every church service would be like hanging out at the beach. I agreed.

So, if any leaders of the church are reading, take a quick note. Make church more like going to the beach. If that isn't specific enough, I'll spell it out. Gorgeous views. Awe-inspiring nature in motion. Fun and sun. Feelings ​of freedom and peace. Wildlife to watch and interact with. No self-righteous sermons. No boring songs. No prayers. No sitting still and reverent for long periods of time. No guilt trips or striving for perfection. Doesn't cost anything except gas money and snacks. Romantic possibilities unstifled. Etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 07:04PM

I agree with your wife. I feel closer to God at the beach or on a mountaintop than I've ever felt in any church.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 08:33PM

Dude, don't tell the mormons how to make their church more appealing!
Then more people will stay!!

:)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:13PM

The spirit of god is within you and all around you, not in buildings of wood and stone. Book of Thomas. One of the many books left out of the bible.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 01:41AM

Living in the country like we do gives us serenity that just isn't available in the city. Witnessing a thunderstorm (or 3 like tonight), smelling fresh cut alfalfa or the smell of freshly tilled soil is spiritual to me.

Living in the country like we do gives us serenity that just isn't available in the city. Witnessing a thunderstorm (or 3 like tonight), smelling fresh cut alfalfa or the smell of freshly tilled soil is spiritual to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.