Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 08:45PM

Sent this to someone:

http://theconversation.com/if-earth-falls-will-interstellar-space-travel-be-our-salvation-35523

He said: "The Lord already has it all figured out. Let me know if you'd like to know more."

What do the Mormons really believe about climate change or overpopulation or what will happen if the earth becomes uninhabitable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 11:40PM

I'm holding out for a gin joint caberet in Philly.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 11:44PM

Mormons are Millennium believers. Jesus Christ will come again and there will be 1000 years of theocracy, during which temple work and golf will be our main occupations.

You can either read Revelations in the bible or watch the American Dad episode about the apocalypse. They are equally the truth, in a sort of fictional way.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:20AM

No doubt the Quakers cleared some acreage for us on the light side of the Moon.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 01:39PM

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:48AM

We wont live, we'll be dead.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:19AM

I thought I would turn this into a fun little multiple choice exam to test my fellow nevermo's, just to see how they're coming along in their learning.

1. Where Will We Live After Earth?

a) In a great and spacious building.
b) In Utah
c) In a little factory.
d) Don’t worry about it,
… the thinking has been done.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:49AM

I'm going with: We won't live, we'll be dead.

And, I really, really enjoy the fact that I have arrived at a place in my thinking that I don't spend my time worrying about who will review the video (gasp) of my life or what handshake I must perform to get into a heaven.

Much nicer to spend my time hiking in the lovely mountains, smiling at the wisdom that surrounds my grandchildren's observations and comments, and snuggling down for a winter nap when I want one.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:49AM

Mormons believe Jesus will come back and fix everything. There is no climate change denial correlated with religious and political blocks here in scandinavia as there is in the US, so mormons here tend to see it as a sign that we live in the end of times instead of arguing that it's not happening.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 07:04AM

This is exactly what evangelical Xtians , pentacostals etc. also believe so they don't worry about it. Jezus gonna fix everyting. The rapture will happen before that.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 08:51AM

I don't understand this logic. Even if a Deus Ex Machina will fix all our problems, do you think God will be happy with what we did to his Creation?

Like Tom Cruise in Risky Business, don't you think Mom & Dad will punish us for trashing the house while they were away.

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 08:10AM

Well duh, we aren't going anywhere. The earth will undergo a change into a giant Urim and Thummim. We will be like characters in one of those Christmas Snow Globes.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 08:49AM

Instead of learning to live within our means and nurture the planet, we will travel out beyond Earth and devour other planets until they become uninhabitable. The future of humanity is to become the locusts of the Universe.

I seriously doubt we will develop the ability to colonize other worlds before this one collapses. Humanity will be fortunate to survive the 21st C., and unfortunately we will take down all the innocent flora and fauna with us.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 09:31AM

I'm going to try to say this without being political but... Most Mormons listen, live and breathe right wing radio. Also they hear a lot of other churches teaching against "Global Warming" and how God will provide, etc... So the members are echoing Glenn Beck, Rush, Fox, etc... because they've chosen that camp.
Yet, MorgCorp has actually allowed many of it's scientist and biologists to "preach, teach, publish" against this. You can do a search on their website but here's probably the best one written back in 1991 https://www.lds.org/ensign/1991/07/earth-a-gift-of-gladness?lang=eng
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/environment-statements

So, I know that so many members are so hypocritical on this; Their ignorance is due probably because it isn't preached at the pulpit but rather tucked into magazines and side notes.

A side note. TSCC owns and runs game preserves for hunters. This is good for the environment, Yet the WoW says not to eat meat except during times of famine and winter. Joseph Smith said, "•“Men must become harmless before the brute creation, and when men lose their vicious dispositions and cease to destroy the animal race, the lion and the lamb can dwell together, and the sucking child can play with the serpent in safety”-- Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 71.

So why do Mormons just love to go hunting???

Posted by: Airizona ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 09:40AM

I'm heading straight for Uranus

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:08PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 12:23PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:05PM

I figure there is a lot of room in the cosmos among the billions and billions of stars and planets and galaxies for some kind of energy to survive. I created my own afterlife that suits me!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:14PM

The earth will be like a sea of glass. Or a giant crystal ball. Sounds like a cozy place.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:17PM

No throwing stones!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 06:36PM

I lived in Oildale for a while, just across the river from Bakersfield.

I hope it's not there...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 06:56PM

Despite its having been mentioned in a Rolling Stones song, I've never cared much for Bakersfield. Even the air is hardscrabble there.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 06:49PM

Let's look at this rationally.

Population, if unchecked, grows at an exponential rate.

Let's look at the biggest possible space we earthlings could
occupy. An expanding sphere, centered at the earth, whose
radius expands at the speed of light. Thus the VOLUME of this
sphere at any time, t, is

V = 4/3 pi (ct)^3

The population, as I pointed out grows exponentially so the
population is

P = Ae^(kt)

So the ratio of available volume per person is

V/P = (4/3 pi c^3 A) (t^3)/[e^(kt)]

It is a fact of mathematics that exponential growth always
outstrips polynomial growth so as t gets large the ration V/P
goes to zero.

So, we can't keep populating at our present rate forever and
look to space travel to supply enough space for it.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 06:55PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 06:55PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.