Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: June 03, 2017 11:52PM

My Mother, who is 92 with advanced degrees in Psychology, hides the coffee pot when the Home Teacher or Relief Society comes over to visit.

My Mother doesn't go to church because of physical limitations and the Church is fine with that.

But I notice the Bishop of my Mother's ward comes over to collect tithing. All they want is her money.

Whether this is true for other older members is unclear, but I suspect this is the pattern. Especially when they have money as my Mother does

Comments

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 12:25AM

Well, it is her money. Hopefully you can intervene to curb the blood sucking vampires, but she gave herself over to whatever indoctrination she's stuck with. I'm not sure how "Jesus wants you to be his bitch" ties into the beatitudes, but I'm sure it will come to me in time.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 01:53AM

Hi Brian! Well, if your Mom wants to hide the coffee pot, that's okay. But, I'm concerned about the tithing issue. If your Mom is in sound mind and wants to contribute, that's also her business. (I'm assuming she's paying on money earned from investments?). Remind her that she's already paid tithing on social security f she pad tithing on the gross (what the Morg really likes).

But, what's with the bishop coming over for the money? Perhaps a phone call to the stake president is in order as this sounds like "elder abuse" by an unscrupulous church leader. If you can, maybe it's a good time to talk with your Mom about her desires about what the church gets. Very best! Boner.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 11:09AM

First, talk to your mom and get all of the facts. Does she like having the bish shake her down in her home that way? Is he providing any service when he visits? Like bringing her sacrament or asking if she needs help or company? Unless she waits for and wants these visits, I'd tell this guy that he needs to cut this out. Tell him face to face and in writing and let him know you consider this to be elder abuse.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 02:27PM

1.Someone posted about their mother on her deathbed having mormon visitors who tired her out and harassed her for money. Finally, the bishop came and stayed all afternoon and into the evening. The ailing mom didn't want to tell a bishop to leave and her elderly husband wasn't forceful enough to get rid of him.

The son arrived and found the bishop in his mother's sick room holding her open purse. She had written a substantial check to him. After the bish left, the mom said she had to do that or he would never have left and she was exhausted.

The next day the son called the bank and stopped payment and the mom died less than a week later.

2. My elderly mother received visits from several mormon men who put pressure on her to sign away her assets to the church when she died. They told her she had to do it to avoid fighting among the kids when she was gone and because it might help her chances to enter the Celestial Kingdom.

My TBM sister who lived much closer to her than I found out about this and was appalled. She told mom that her kids needed her accumulated assets more than the wealthy mormon church. Mom told her if she could change the agreement to go ahead. Sis did just that, thankfully. My mom wasn't wealthy and I'd hate to think that the lifetime work of her and my dad would be absorbed like a drop of water or a gain of salt by a bloated lying so-called church.

I think it's common for mormon "leaders" to bully ill and elderly mormons who can no longer attend or do callings but they still have money which the mormon church lusts after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2017 03:12PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 03:43PM

and she will include them in her will.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 06:41PM

There isn't a lot of religion in his visits. The guy loves to gossip, and we hears lots of good stuff about the old ward.

I tidy up the living room and the dining area, which you can see from the front door. Other than that, I don't bother much for his visits. We always offer him bottled water, which he always declines (sort of a pro forma thing, I guess) and it all seems pretty pointless, but after all these years, I have become very fond of this old guy. His wife and I are friends, and our kids grew up together, so I don't mind him coming around. I think I would vaguely miss him if he didn't.

He is an avid reader, and one of his sons manages a Barnes and Noble store somewhere, and sends him boxes of damaged (but readable) books, which HT often brings over for me. He has introduced me to several authors I hadn't known about, including Nelson DeMille, whose raunchy thrillers rather astonish me (coming from a former bishop) but I am a DeMille junkie. The John Corey books especially make me laugh, time after time. If DH knows that I am reading, and he hears me giggling, he will ask, "Are you hanging out with John Corey again??" Yep.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 09:02PM

Hey Catnip, the HT sounds like he enjoys the camaraderie. I used to like my home teachers (at least most of them). But, they stopped coming many, many years ago (I think Mrs. Boner didn't like that they were friendly with me). Now, the men in my ward just shun me--their loss. Boner.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 09:01PM

ziller can confirm this thred ~

ziller am coffee pot ~

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 09:11PM

A woman born in 1925 who has advanced degrees?

She sounds like one helluva person. You must be proud of her, Brian.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 09:17PM

Is your mother of sound mind? If she is, she would probably resent you going to the bishop behind her back. Talk to her and see what she wants. It is her money and her business if she knows what she is doing. If she is suffering from dementia, it might be time to step in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.