Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:03PM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheOnlineMissionary/permalink/705379032913273/

Yikes!While browsing 'The Online Missionaries' Facebook page I stumbled upon this gem.

'There are no tough investigators, only unprepared Missionaries who need to go home and give their spot to a real spirit filled Missionary!'

Here is a guide on how you are to answer difficult questions on your mission!
Remembering of course there is no such thing as a hard question,only an unprepared missionary!Well I could argue with them from the outset there as a Nevermo that there are tons of difficult questions with No satisfactory answers.

Joseph's dodgy character,the lack of evidence for his vision,no proof of the happenings in the Book of Mormon all spring to my mind...

There are clear instructions on how to answer about Smiths multiple wives :
'The answer to "How many wives did Joseph Smith have?" is always, "I don't know - quite a lot!" then chuckle. You see, that's not important to the message, and you should now say that to the investigator. "He had as many as our Lord wanted him to have, and he preached a message that is true and good. We're here to share that with you."

Now when the potential investigator says they have some difficult questions they should reply:
"I'm sorry, I know that when any first start investigating our faith that it is easy to get distracted - biased anti-Mormon websites, and sometimes family, friends and ministers will tell you how bad we all are or give you 'tough questions' to ask".

They also mention getting your own planet:"We do believe that as children of God that we will grow up one day and be able to watch over and care for our descendents".

Yay,people are smart!!They must be asking these questions!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:09PM

is there a textbook answer for the ferret?

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:25PM

What a DISPICABLE shame for young teens to have to be hearing such statements. This statement tells them the fault is their's if they cannot answer the investigators' questions. Oh, reading this is making my blood boil, and partly it is that I just read an email from my granddaughter, a teen missionary in Spain who is now in her first area, of course, brainwashed and ready to change the world. She has been taught the same type of nonsense and indoctrination.

This is what she said: "Sister Leavitt (not real name) and I are trying our best to be exactly obedient so that we can see miracles in this area."

Hummmmm.....I wonder exactly where these words came from? What a heavy, heavy burden to carry....that IF you are NOT EXACTLY OBEDIENT you will not see miracles in the area.

The church needs to implode NOW. I detest it.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:49PM

This is one part ridiculous and another part pathetic.

There are clear instructions on how to answer about Smiths multiple wives :
'The answer to "How many wives did Joseph Smith have?" is always, "I don't know - quite a lot!" then chuckle. You see, that's not important to the message, and you should now say that to the investigator. "He had as many as our Lord wanted him to have, and he preached a message that is true and good. We're here to share that with you."

Adults are teaching children that this reasoning is adequate and even reasonable. This is utterly setting children up for failure and rejection. If an investigator is asking "how many wives did Joseph Smith have," and they're an honest investigator, they're not asking a "gotcha" question. They're asking, "Tell me how I can get behind this wife thing, because it's a stumbling block for me with your church." As a missionary, they're giving you an opportunity to convince them. If you answer, "Quite a lot!," then chuckle, a generous investigator may overlook it, a serious-minded person will think you're a chucklehead, and dismiss you. If you continue, "He had as many as our Lord wanted him to have," you're starting to piss people off. Most people you'd be talking to either are Christian themselves already, or they know plenty about Christ. For a young kid missionary to take the position that JS and "the Lord" are in some kind of exclusive bromance, and to take that position with people who aren't yet ready to accept that, makes the missionary out to be an arrogant jerk (if male), or an ignorant no-nothing (if female), and you've lost the investigator because they don't want the Lord's morality implicated so casually. If then you on about how JS' got a message that's "true and good," when the investigator's first question was directly on-point, asking how JS could be "good and true" when he had multiple wives--that just doesn't accord with conventional truth and goodness; and then you dodge it, thinking you're clever by saying "this isn't important to the message," when it's directly important to establishing the credibility of the message; an intelligent investigator is already either trying to get away from you or is starting to make sport with you, from this point on. Not teaching kids how real discourse with real adults works, setting them up to fail in this way, and then blaming them for the inevitable failure, is simply reprehensible.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:40PM

Get the scene: you're missionary for a church, trying to convert a listener. Most likely, the listener has a background in Christianity, and a basic sense of morals, ethics, and marital fidelity. The listener asks you how many wives the founder of your religion had, and you respond "Quite a lot!"

How does the missionary think that listener will react to that response, especially if the listener is female? Does the missionary not realize that most listeners are going to have serious doubts and questions about a religion whose founder had "quite a lot" of wives?

How many wives have the founder of most Christian religions had? One, maybe two at the most, and never more than one at a time. Missionaries are fooling themselves if they think that's a good response to their investigators in this day and age. Most investigators can go right to the internet and find out the number of Joseph Smith's wives in seconds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 11:41PM by randyj.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:52PM

If I was at the MTC and they would of given me the essays and the real history of Kirtland and Nauvoo... I think I would of packed my bags then and left for home.

Just saying, even at 19 I would of had my testimony destroyed and wouldn't have been able to peddle the junk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 03:53PM by dydimus.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:02PM

If that were true, there would be a lot Mormons in the world - instead of the tiny fraction of a percent we have now.

It makes you want to bang your head on the wall when they have such an inability to compare what they are told with what is in front of their faces.

Posted by: anonski21 ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:06PM

That's gotta be a troll page.

There's no way in the world the Church/MTC would be crazy enough to post that.

Umm..right?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:15PM

It would be wonderful to print this up to pass along to people who are taking the lessons...

But it's somewhat heartening to think that the mishies think it's that easy. Don't they ever see the pattern, in terms of who they are able to convince to join?

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:34PM

Lest anyone forget its a cult we are dealing with here!!

Any potential investigator should really read this!!

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 12:03AM

Ah, but remember that missions are not for converting the investigator; that is only a serendipitous bonus. The mission is to convert the missionary . Some you 'convert' by making them feel so guilty that they can't see beyond their supposed sinful self. That way, when they get home, their bishop can use the same guilting methods on them to keep them paying praying and obeying.

90000 missionaries divided by 2= 45 000 couples, approx. married and ready to make babies. Four or more babies per couple = a carload of future tithe payers.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 12:15AM

>90000 missionaries divided by 2= 45 000 couples, approx. married >and ready to make babies. Four or more babies per couple = a >carload of future tithe payers.

And that's every two years!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.