Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:46PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:23PM

My guess: Someone in the top 15 is going to be kicking the bucket here very soon.

Posted by: zenmaster (nli) ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:47PM

Very good inference...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:49PM

Here is a taste of this man's ways.

"Even considered in the light most favorable to HBS, the facts of this case are outrageous. The editor of an independent newspaper at HBS was called into a special meeting by the director of his program and told that a satirical cartoon, tame by any standards, could constitute a disciplinary violation. Investigating a cartoon is terrible enough. Officially warning a student editor and publicly calling this a violation of HBS policy are simply beyond the pale."
http://www.thefire.org/fire-letter-to-harvard-business-school-dean-kim-b-clark-november-19-2002/

Perfect for an Apostle of The Oaks variant, I mean Lord.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 06:04PM

Wow. I can only imagine the marching orders given to the BYUI Honor Council by Ricksfeurer Kim Clark. I would have for GD sure been kicked out if he'd been Ricks Dictator when I was there.

Ron Burr

Date: January 27, 2015 09:57PM

Yeah. And what a dictator.

"Investigating a cartoon is terrible enough."

Given the somewhat recent event in Paris makes this guy's actions back then look like he is a crazy dictator.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:36AM

My little brother is currently at BYU-I, and he tells me that Clark has actually got rid of all the RA's so there are fewer people to spy on you while at school now.

But then again, he's tightening up the reins on individuals to rat out one's roommate for "choking the bishop" with the door open.

Date: January 28, 2015 02:03PM

Lots of raging hormones and bishop choking going on when I was there in '66-'67. No one got ratted out on my dorm floor (3rd North- Ensign Hall) that I was aware of.
The big worry back then seemed to be keeping ones grades up to stay out of the draft and not go to 'Nam, and making sure they were virtuous and worthy to get their mission call.
John L. Clark was the Ricks Prez. back then. Met him once. Quiet short guy (I'm 6'4" so most people are short to me) and never heard anything more about him. I think Henry B. (Blubbering) Ahole was right after him, but I could be wrong about that.

Ron Burr

Date: January 27, 2015 05:53PM

"President Clark closed the session reinforcing these comments and adding that “responsibility is not easy to do. It is not only about the heart (who are you, what you stand for) but also about the mind. And it takes a great deal of thought to identify what it takes within a company to address these issues.” He cited William James, the famous nineteenth century philosopher and psychologist, who saw the virtues of being tough minded but not hard hearted."
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865586935/Fellowship-in-honor-of-President-Kim-Clark-established-at-Oxford.html?pg=all

I guess he doesn't have a heart soft enough for satire.

Date: January 27, 2015 06:07PM

Satire and sarcasm is completely missing from the TBM's psyche. Every time they encounter it they perceive it to be an attack on their faith, their salvation and their person. Totally fucked up culture.

Ron Burr

Date: January 27, 2015 10:02PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Satire and sarcasm is completely missing from the
> TBM's psyche.

I would qualify the TBMs personally. My family doesn't get satire and sarcasm like I do. I think I'm the most sardonic of the bunch by a large margin.

I would have to tell them when I interacted with them that I was being sarcastic.

There were a few exceptions but aging (and one joining a polygamist cult) has entrenched Mormonism in them squeezing the little sarcasm they had out of their Mormon souls.

My wife's family is all about sarcasm. They are some of the few TBMs I've met that are. TBMs into sarcasm are as numerous as TBM Democrats.

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 06:41PM

I am rather confident that William James would have despised the environment at Ricks, er, BYU-I.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:02AM

So is this the third BYU-I president in a row to come from a prestigious job at Harvard to come rot away in the cold wastelands of Idaho? Good God.

I know Bednard was at Harvard for awhile, and so was Clark, and it sounds like Gilbert taught there. Wow. Well, way to go from diamonds to shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 09:27AM by midwestanon.

Date: January 28, 2015 12:22PM

midwestanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know Bednard was at Harvard for awhile, and so
> was Clark, and it sounds like Gilbert taught
> there. Wow. Well, way to go from diamonds to shit.

Using Harvard is LDS Inc.'s attempt to polish a turd.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:32PM

Bednar was something of an academic, but never at that level. I think his closest connection to Harvard was that his mentor, Steven Covey, got an MBA there. Bednar got two degrees at BYU and a PhD from Purdue. Then he taught and managed at Arkansas and Texas Tech for about 15 years.

Date: January 28, 2015 12:36PM

I can't believe it. Devo appeared at BYU Idaho with Elder Nelson? That is some serious mainstreaming going on.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:35PM

He was in my Honors colloquium when I was a Freshman at BYU.

I had no idea he was head of DN.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:43PM

Crack that whip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 12:44PM by Shummy.

Date: January 28, 2015 02:19PM

That is some great, great music there.

Give me my life back!!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:59PM

"Are we not *speaking as* men? We are *speaking as* Devo!"

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:48PM

Monkey men all
In business suits
Teachers and critics
All dance the poot*

*break wind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 01:52PM by donbagley.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:57PM

I guess I was wrong about Bednard. Maybe the story was that he turned down a position at Harvard to go to BYUI- I could be wrong about that, too.

Date: January 28, 2015 02:09PM

It's interesting to consider what opportunities Bednar might have had during a normal, non-church academic career. I'm sure he would have risen further than he did.

Date: January 28, 2015 02:15PM

But what a Golden Moroni retirement! Adulation till you die and financial security no matter what you do - just don't dissent.

Date: January 28, 2015 02:29PM

Silence is golden, and golden plates are always hidden.

Date: January 29, 2015 11:45AM

...until God found one faithful in whom he could confide.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.