Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 12:07AM

I started college in 1978, so it was the end of the 70s and before sexual harassment cases really started. For those who went to college later, has prof/student sex toned down any?

I went to U of MD, College Park, where people openly smoked joints on the mall area of the campus. I took a class in jewelry making (love those oxy acetylene torches) and the assistant professor kept a bong in the supply cabinet. He was sleeping with one of students and later moved on to another, when the first one dropped him.

There was an art teacher who was Native American and he had a sweat lodge for his groupies, from whom he picked his current girlfriend. I had roommate who was sleeping with our history teaching assistant. Damn he was cute, but ultimately a jerk.

Another roommate had a date with an assistant professor who taught health or something and his claim to fame was bio-feedback and he could make his heart skip a beat. She had a hot date and he was a no show. Turned out he was spelunking and got a hernia from slithering through a rock tunnel on his stomach and was rushed to the hospital for surgery. I thought it was reasonable excuse but then she found out he was a slut and was sleeping with other girls in the class.

A sociology professor told a story to the class about a girl who kept going to his office and asking WHAT she could DO to help her grade. He suggested additional reading and she kept coming back to him. Finally he figured out that she was offering sex for a grade. He asked her “What makes you think you are worth an A?”

Ah, good times……

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bellypiercing ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 12:18AM

I am finishing my undergrad. Three years ago I had the sexiest british instructor who was getting his Masters. We probably eye-f***ed every day and he was the only reason I went to class.

Once he got his degree he found me on facebook and we hungout/hooked up, etc for a month. Until I realized he was waaaay too feminine for me and all of the sudden his sexiness melted away. If he had approached me WHILE he was my instructor I would have DEFINATELY jumped to the occasion. 0:)

There is also a professor who slept with a girl in my firend's Ochem class so she got an A. Whatever, no big deal. Oh, wait, he was married with 3 kids. Jerk.

Posted by: Eldermalin ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 12:22AM

Back when I was a TA at BYU we weren't even supposed to date anyone we taught. And there were plenty of people ready to tattle on you.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 10:42AM

Back in the earlier days of UVU, when it was UVCC, I know there was a lot of student/teacher liasons going on. I know this from personal experience, unfortunately. And some turned into really messy situation. I was a divorced student in my 30s and some of my best friends worked at the college, so I was privvy to a lot of the talk and the stories.

I'd say most of these people were inactive or disaffected LDS. The professor I dated several times swore he was divorced. One of my friends who worked in HR clued me in that his wife and kids were still on his insurance and their status was still married. In fact, I had just gone to Vegas for the weekend with him and another professor that my friend was dating. He had some excuse--like the divorce had hit a snag and they were just trying to work things out, but I didn't want to be part of that. A few months later I heard he'd knocked up a student, but still hadn't gotten that snag worked out.

There was one guy who came across as very active LDS, family man, in the bishopric, etc. He later was sued for divorce by his wife after he also knocked a student up. But anyway, this was late 80s, early 90s and it was still a small community college. I think it has to have been addressed since then.

Posted by: exmowife ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 12:27AM

Worked for several years at a state college; know this stuff is still going on. The Arts and Humanities seem to lead the pack, but there was no shortage of rumors from other areas of the university.

Date: March 29, 2011 12:30AM

At least the cases I knew of, the men were not married. That does not mean that they didn't have another gf or two or three, but no band of gold.

I had a female professor who was divorced and in her mid 30's but dressed and acted way too young (long hair in above ear pig tails). She had a guy assistant who was her little puppy. He would have done her in a NY second (heck, I would have done her) but she was after bigger fish and liked older men. Now, with the perspective of age, I think that she had issues. Once I met her at her house to discuss grad school (I aspired to be a demographer) and before we were done talking some man showed up at the door. She was dressed very nicely with makeup, which seemed odd for a Saturday afternoon. I thought it was rude to not tell me there was time constraint.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:17AM

...who was openly frustrated that I had zero interest in him. I had a French professor who was quite sexy, but for whatever reason, I decided not to throw my hat in the ring. I'm sure that plenty of other women did.

I knew that professor/student relationships went on, but I didn't want to engage in one myself and I didn't personally know of anyone who did. It wasn't so much the ethics of it (although that played a part) but just the feeling that we were at different places in our lives.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 10:11AM

I had a professor who was probably 40. He divorced his wife and married a young student a couple of years before I got there.

I had an Anthropology teacher who was a tall hot female. She could turn any subject at all into sex. Amazon tribe cooking habits= sex. Polygamy in Africa= sex. Hunting= sex. Money and Barter systems= sex. Etc. Some subjects naturally included sex, but she could make any subject at all come around to sex. I loved it.

I'd walk from class to my next class with her, going to another building, it was mostly to learn more in our talk, but her being hot was also part of it.

I remember one male teacher one male teacher sitting after class, and a girl from class going up to ask him a question, and totally bending over facing him to show her boobs. She milked the conversation to use more time, and never stood up till she was done. The whole time it was two melons right in his face. It was so overt that I couldn't believe it.

As a male, I only had one hot teacher in six years of college. But that one was fun.

Date: March 29, 2011 11:03AM

The hot professor that I talked about is still the same all these years later. The first reply on Rate My Professor says, "She is open to discussing every subject. Somehow finds a way to relate everything to sex,..."

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=256742

Posted by: tony ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:32AM

...reveals that she's still pretty hot! Don't know when you had her DNA but she appears to aged well! Looks like she has an interest in mormonism based on this link.
http://mormonstories.org/?p=1000

Date: March 29, 2011 11:41AM

I had her a decade ago. When she doesn't have the librarian glasses, she's a way sharp looking lady. Tall and slender, and extremely intelligent.

She comes from an education family. The Bennion Center at the University of Utah is her family.

She would have been hot even if she wasn't talking about sex all the time.

Date: March 29, 2011 01:27PM

If you had her a decade ago that means I'm probably older than you at 46 and to this rapidly-approaching-middle-age-if-not-there-already guy she still looks pretty good!

Date: March 29, 2011 01:32PM

She's your age, and so am I.

I tell you, that picture doesn't do her justice.

Date: March 29, 2011 01:45PM

That's even better! LOL

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:54PM

Ha ha ha .... I know Janet ... will send her a link to this.

Posted by: anonny ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:50PM

She went to Portland State. That's probably where she honed her skills.

Portland is a great place to live and learn all about yourself, and sometimes others. I love Portland.

Posted by: anonny ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:01PM

High School, not college.

This English teacher would be behind bars if this happened now.

Highschool friend (TBM no less) was sleeping with his HS English teacher. He was a senior, but not 18 yet. He graduated, they got married. She put him through medical school. Now he's a surgeon.

They've been married since 1972,

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 12:26AM

thanks for the link.. that was a fun listen. very interesting.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 10:26AM

We've fired instructors for that.I'm guessing it doesn't happen too often at our campus.

Posted by: just for fun ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 10:27AM

When the math professor's wife returns home from work, she finds an envelope on the living room table. She opens it and finds a letter from her husband:

My dearest wife,

We have been married for nearly thirty years, and I still love you as much as on the day I proposed. You must realize, however, that you are now 54 years old and no longer able to satisfy certain needs I still have. I very much hope that you are not hurt to learn that, while you're reading this, I'm in a hotel room with an 18-year-old freshman girl from my calculus class. I'll be home before midnight.

Your husband, who will never stop loving you.

When the professor returns from the hotel shortly before midnight, he also finds an envelope in the living room. He opens it and reads:

My beloved husband,

You may recall that you, too, are 54 years old and no longer able to satisfy certain needs I still have. I thus hope that you are not hurt to learn that, while you're reading this, I am in a hotel room with the 18-year-old pool boy.

Your loving wife.

P. S. As a mathematician, you are certainly aware of the fact that 18 goes into 54 many more times than 54 goes into 18. Therefore, don't stay up and wait for me.

Date: March 29, 2011 10:38AM

just for fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When the math professor's wife returns home from
> work...

LOL

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 10:44AM

Ewwwwwwwwwww. Yuck. Gross. Bleh.

I can't think of ANY hot professors that I ever had in college!

But I sure miss my old drinking buddy/psych professor from grad school, Dr. Gross. Every Thursday night after class, a group of us would hang out at the campus bar/pizza parlor for several hours.

We'd talk about psychology, religion, politics . . . you know, solve the world's problems as only 20-somethings are brash enough to do. But Dr. Gross was as old as the hills! I often wondered how many pitchers of beer he'd shared with college kids over the years - he really *liked* hanging with us.

But would I do him?

Nah.

;o)

Posted by: petergunz ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:05AM

I go to UC Berkeley and not only would I say that none of that is happening, but that most of the student body isn't having that much sex either. I live in a frat house (I'm not apart of the frat), and aside from maybe 3 guys out of 40 I don't think any of them are getting laid. Kinda makes me wish I would have gone to UC Santa Barbara.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 12:15PM

My college calculus one class was taught by a cute grad student from Columbia. One Friday night I went to the local college hangout bar and there she was. She recognized me and smiled and I went over and one thing led to another and the next thing I know she at my place and we are doing it. We had a little thing going after that.

She was always professional in class treating me like everyone else. Not even a little smile when she handed me my test back. Then in private, wow!

It was great. She would funk my ass too if I deserved it. I had a lot of respect that our romantic fling had no effect on her job. She was a great chick.

Date: March 29, 2011 12:44PM

And it sounds like it was a pretty good time!!! LOL

Date: March 29, 2011 01:34PM

I'm a funked ass virgin I think.

Posted by: dandie ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:34PM

Long time ago I taught community college courses in a maximum security prison. Never had sex with any of the students.

Date: March 29, 2011 01:41PM

dandie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Long time ago I taught community college courses
> in a maximum security prison. Never had sex with
> any of the students.

Good to know! Well, done, I guess....

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:28PM

I went to Rick's (Glorified High School and LDS Seminary posing as a ) College (LDS Inc Church Education System sister school BYU would not transfer many classes from this POS joke of an academic institution, so why would any other state schools).
This was prior to *my* mission. Sex was so vilified there, especially by the faculty, that it's mind boggling.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:18PM

I teach at a university now, and beleive me there is NO way I would become sexually involved with a student. It is professional suicide.

There are cases where a relationship develops with students and teachers of similar age. If the teacher reports the relationship and the rules are followed (eg he/she does not mark that students work etc) then a relationship can develop. I have seen that happen once, and the relationship resulted in a happy marriage.

I become very good friends with some of my students at times, as a good part of my job is councelling them when things get rough. But NO not once have I stepped over the line, and neither have any of my students. For the most part that is due to age, I take the part of a mother/aunt figure, but not always, it is simply a respect thing, on both sides.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 09:23AM

I graduated from there, too. Never had all the cool experiences.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 09:53AM

It's inappropriate because it represents a power imbalance and creates an atmosphere that is ripe for abuse.

That said, I once had a fling with a marketing professor. He was not MY professor, as I didn't take any marketing classes. His brother was my BFF's boyfriend, so I'd met him through them. I was seeing other people at the time and assumed he was as well. No harm, no foul, not a big deal.

BTW, for all the stories reported here, I wished there were more dates to anchor down exactly when the practice started to trickle off. I went to college from 1987-1991. It was taboo at that time to bang your own prof, but any random, single prof? Have at it. As long as you didn't get your grades from the person you were fucking, no power imbalance, no problem.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.