Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notinkansas ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:56PM

1. Why the Baker's Hats in the temple?

2. Why the veiling during the ceremony for women?

3. What's the story behind the leafy-green crotch flap that goes over the robe?

- I'm most intrigued by the Baker's hat (I never made it to the temple)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 10:57PM by notinkansas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: finallygetsit ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:17PM

It's too sacred to talk about.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:20PM

It's too stupid to talk about.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:23PM

It's too humiliating to talk about.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:23PM

The green apron is the fig leaf covering from Genesis. The veil is because women are scum to gawd. The baker's hat is an eternal mystery. Unless someone has a better memory than I do.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:30PM

JS Jr. loved cakes, cupcakes, fresh bread. Baker's hat to always remind him. Joking of course.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:28PM

The baker's hat is to remind you that the temple is baking up a load of shit to give to you and that you must receive it or else.

The women veil their faces to remind you, a man who is trying to put off the natural man, that you are never to see a woman in all her nakedness, not even on your wedding night, because of the garment rule.

The green apron, is to remind you that you need to eat an apple every day to be strong and virile, in case you have to be profit one day. See, Tom Monson didn't eat his apples. He drank pepsi and look at him now!

And i say this with the sure sign of the nail, at the veil.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:28PM

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:29PM

Sit back and be instructed. In the 19th century America, Freemasonry was everywhere. A male was odd if he didn't participate in some form of Freemasonry or its offshoots. So when JS instituted the temple ceremonies he was doing nothing more that what was expected, in some circles anyway. There was certainly antipathy between most of the churches and Freemasonry, but as an avowedly revolutionary religion, Freemasonry made perfect sense as an addition to all those ancient scriptures and heavenly messenger service. Note also that at the time the churches were largely for the women, often as a counterpoint to the Masonic, no-girls-allowed boys' clubs.

Freemasonry includes lots of things that are there simply to look ancient and mysterious. Most Masonic rites include robes, special hats, and aprons. Some of it is a hold-over from Freemasonry's medieval roots, when robes and hats and even aprons were quite common, especially among manual laborers, which is where the Freemasons arose (or at least wanted people to think they arose. The jury is still out on that one). Look on line for examples. JS was simply copying what was all around him. Over the years the clothing worn in the LDS temple had evolved many times to get to the stage we see today.

Also note that there was a huge variety from lodge to lodge as to the nature of the rites and the clothing. There is no such thing as a Freemasonry clearinghouse through which every detail has to pass prior to approval for dissemination to the provinces. So the specific garb of the endowment may not be found in any current Masonic lodge, but it very well may have been worn in one or more of the lodges with which JS was familiar.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:49PM

I just read about that somewhere.

The hat has something to do with being crowned with the priesthood. The weird little string (three sections) connects the 3 Priesthoods to the robe which the little loops on the shoulder represents the 12 tribes.

They don't tell anyone any of this stuff, so it's all pretty meaningless to the majority of mormons. They just put the silly outfit on because they're told to.

Posted by: Searcher ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:55PM

I once saw a troupe of male Greek dancers that looked like they were going to the temple.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:03AM

I still have my original temple clothes. Haven't looked at them in over 20 years since I modeled them for my then sig other and my sister who has not had the pleasure of her own endowment.

I think there's a white plastic disk inside the Baker's Hat to give it a little shape and make it a little less floppy. After all, you don't want to look ridiculous in the temple.

The plastic shield may be there to prevent unwanted inspiration from entering you brain in the temple. Inspiration like "WTF is this shit? Look around and find the nearest EXIT sign and hie yourself in that direction as fast as possible."

The string from the Baker's Hat to the robe shoulder is to keep the hat from blowing away on the Morning of the First Resurrection when you fly out of your grave and zoom across the sky to meet Jesus descending from heaven in a Chariot Handcart Sled drawn by a Team of Domesticated Tapirs.

=========

BTW, the Tapirs need to form a union or coalition or something and get themselves some better PR. I feel ashamed that I've participated in the ongoing RfM Tapir mocking. Their mothers love their Tapir babies, and Jesus loves them too. Who am I to disagree?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tapirs&newwindow=1&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Dm_IVK7-HMrdoATi14CIBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1842&bih=952

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 12:10AM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:35AM

A few years ago at a Washington DC Exmo gathering, we took a tour of the Masonic temple there. I was amazed by how much the Mormon temple ceremony was lifted from Masonry. Symobolism, clothing, handshakes...it was all there. I'm sure Mormons have some bullshit apologetics for the similarities, but it's pretty clear if you visit any Masonic temple where old Joe got his temple ideas.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:15AM

Had he throttled himself back a couple notches and pissed fewer people off (not effed as many teenagers) he might have lived long enough to reach his goal of King of the World.

Or until his head exploded.

Or until his love stick broke off.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:54AM

The apologetics are that since Mormonism is true Christianity, Masonry stole from the leaked temple rites back at Solomon's temple. So Freemasonry actually stole from Mormonism.

Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:14AM

1. The hat is to remind you to not use your brain.

2. The veil is to remind women that they are really Muslim.

3. The green leafy apron is to remind you that Joseph Smith loved money and virgins.

You are welcome.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 10:01AM

...ancient Hebrew temple garb. Note the similarity to Mormon temple clothing here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_clothing#mediaviewer/File:PLATE4DX.jpg

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:42AM

Here you go: meaning of temple attire. It's all symbolic. Every bit of it.

http://www.i4m.com/think/temples/temple_clothes.htm

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.