Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fully Disvested ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:37AM

Well, the press conference on Tuesday was a first. I have never previously heard a Church spokesman say the words "gay" or "LGBT." All of a sudden, they are all saying "LGBT."

What happened to the usual verbiage -- those that suffer from "Same Sex Attraction?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:38AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:40AM

Moving into the 20th century? Give it another 20 years and they'll be catching up to 1960.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:42PM

Hey, moving to "same sex attraction" was a huge step into the 1960s for them. For so long they were stuck on "same gender attraction." Couldn't say the S word.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:57AM

Whenever Mormons talk about people "suffering from same-sex attraction" I respond by talking about people who are suffering from Mormonism.

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:22AM

Thanks man, I think I might use that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 01:22AM by iamanevermormon.

Date: January 29, 2015 01:23AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 01:24AM by iamanevermormon.

Date: January 29, 2015 01:24AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 01:25AM by iamanevermormon.

Posted by: Goalie Host ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:51AM

hahahahaha, I snorted. :D +1,000

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:17AM

I haven't had much time to read here yesterday and today. Has anyone identified the woman who was speaking?

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:42PM

She is Neill F Marriot, counselor in the YW presidency.

https://www.lds.org/church/leader/neill-f-marriott?lang=eng

Not sure how they would decide to ask her and I didn't see any video of it. It probably means that she'll be the next YW president.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:13AM

I can barely recognize her compared to her appearance at the news conference.

Just watching her reminded me yet again why I am so glad I'm not a Mormon.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:47PM

I guess SSA is now just for gay guys married to women pretending to be straight.

Someone tell North Star.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 01:47PM by axeldc.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 02:22PM

Well the ones suffering from their SSA are the ones in heterosexual marriages.

The rest of us arent sufffering.

Posted by: Mollienomore ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:46PM

Bravo on that response!!!

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:11AM

Spot on. This press conference was not about the "good" i.e. celibate / living a lie folks.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:49PM

It might be because they're speaking of non-Mormons. Mormons aren't gay, they're just "same-sex attracted." Non-Mormons get to define themselves.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:56PM

Take away the suffering and I have no issues with the accurate descriptive term of same sex attraction. Maybe they learned that there are many people that do not take it as the slur that was indented.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 12:43AM

In the lgbtq spectrum the church has recognized bisexuals for along time, they are beginning to acknowledge those who identify themselves as lesbian and gay (recent talk by Holland GC comes to mind, where he says he doesn't know?), but still they don't recognize transgender or queeer. The word queeer is still banned on this board, I think?

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 12:53AM

I think that was for the public, so they seem with it to the average Joe. in the privacy of their GC's they will still say "same sex attraction". Just like Hinckley's MO. That's how they've always rolled. Lie to the gentiles, they won't know any better.

Date: January 29, 2015 01:26AM

They realized they're getting a lot of hate, so they are taking the first steps of folding, like usual.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:36AM

That's another phrase they've liked to use in the past. From Gordon B. Hinckley, as quoted in the current "Eternal Marriage Student Manual:"

“'People inquire about our position on those who consider themselves so-called gays and lesbians.'"

https://www.lds.org/manual/eternal-marriage-student-manual/same-gender-attraction?lang=eng

I think we'll be seeing less of it.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:23AM

The problem is that the church thinks it's all about language. They have no concept of depth because they are so focused on the label that they don't see what's inside the package.

Changing gay to SSA did nothing. I'm surprised they haven't started using the term "heterosexually challenged." Wouldn't that be a hysterical hitch in the semantic game they play?

Four decades ago when I was at BYU we all knew who was gay. That wasn't the question. The constant question was, "Is he out?" It meant more than most people would know. And being out then was just to other gay people still, not to everyone. But it meant a lot.

Being out really meant, Is he free? Is he happy? Has he come to terms with who he is? Is he ready for real life? Is he ready to claim his life?

Oh, I guess I'm just reminiscing now. Those were the days my friend. We had each other some of us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.