Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 03:06PM

Are we allowed to announce this?

Interview regarding the church press conference yesterday.

Count down to lunacy blast-off. Put on your B.S. deflectors.

Post your reactions...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 03:14PM

Posted by: jakers4 ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 04:06PM

Pretty much all Christofferson and Oaks did was dodge questions, and demonstrate how out of touch they are.

There where some very cringe worthy moments:

When they were talking about how they are familiar with gay and lesbians, but aren't familiar with transgenders.

When they said they weren't familiar with anyone facing discipline for supporting same sex marriage. John who you say?

Their comments on life long celibacy. WTF!!

These guys definitely aren't inspired. No way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 04:09PM by jakers4.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 04:45PM

14:20 Oaks says "less-bians"

23:00 Oaks says "We don't have coercive means, but we have goodwill, and we have a bully pulpit from which to teach. And we have some ideas about principles. And that's why we're in the game."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_pulpit

"A bully pulpit is a position sufficiently conspicuous to provide an opportunity to speak out and be listened to."

Oaks did not mean "bully" in the usual sense we use the word today.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 05:42PM by beyondashadow.

Date: January 29, 2015 05:37PM

adjective: bully
very good; first-rate.
"the statue really looked bully"

Date: January 29, 2015 05:40PM

Gotta remember, Oaks may have an older vocabulary than you!

;^)

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:52PM

I actually used to work for him (Dallin). He was President of YBme when I had a part-time job (1971) at KBYU-TV doing on-air program playback/switching and transmitter monitoring. My job required a FCC First Class Commercial Radiotelephone License. I still got paid minimum wage $1.85/hour despite the license requirement.

On the plus side, I got paid to play-on-the-air (and watch) Sesame Street, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, Electric Company and other faith promoting programming.

Later I quit BYU to work for Megadiamond Corp (Tracy Hall, Duane Horton, Bill Pope) designing and building production sequencing controllers for their diamond press equipment (see Fig. 3 in the paper below). Very cool job ... making diamond grit from graphite in 3 minutes at 1,000,000 psi.

http://htracyhall.org/papers/megadiam.pdf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 06:05PM by beyondashadow.

Date: January 29, 2015 06:06PM

He was in the Stake presidency of the Stake where my parents lived in the Chicago area (Chicago South Stake). He and June (his first wife) were close friends of my parents. His brother in-law was my Priest Quorum adviser. His son, Lloyd is just a shade younger than I am.

I, too, am familiar with the man. I believe his use of "bully" was in the adjective sense.

You're entirely welcome to your opinion, as are any others reading this thread!

Date: January 29, 2015 06:22PM

I've listened to his reference on youtube enough times now (just short of nausea) that I am advocating your definition, beyondashadow.

I relent!

Date: January 29, 2015 05:26PM

Oaks said he can't recall any discipline relating to members supporting LGBT people. What? Bishops will continue to decide on a local level because they have the mantle.

He tried to rationalize his never apologize statement.

He equated "same gender attracted" unmarried members with those who couldn't afford to get married, those who hadn't yet found a partner, and those with handicaps. (All in that category need to remain celibate, forever.)

Christofferson kept laughing, no matter what serious questions were asked (watch him). Teen suicide is so hilarious.

They dodged nearly every question.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:50PM

Oaks is struggling with a cold? Doesn't he have the faith to be healed? Doesn't one of the other apostles have the faith to heal him?

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:52PM

A warm cup of tea would calm down his throat so he could speak. But, that ain't gonna happen.

Date: January 29, 2015 11:46PM

That would be funny to see the look on his face if someone offered him tea with lemon and honey for his throat.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:23PM

The fact that there is no evidence of legislators being punished by the church because they voted wrong is only true because the legislators cave to the threat that they will be punished and therefore always vote the way they're told to vote.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.