Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:42PM

Dayum! I can't believe I missed this thread when it was open. I loved all of your responses. I, too, was in that illustrious group. Some of my memories are:

Watching The Beatles on their first Ed Sullivan Show.

My Sears Silvertone record player that I wore OUT listening to said Beatles albums.

Bra burning and draft card burning.

Resurrection City in Washington, D.C. Anyone else remember that?

Fizzies...little bubbly lozenges you dropped into water to make "soda". They tasted like crap, and we loved them.

Watching Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins of Apollo 13 successfully making it to- and landing on the Moon. Safe return home, too!

Wearing pale, chalky lipstick, Yardley cologne and cosmetics. Trying in vain to make short, brown haired me look like Twiggy, lol.

Feeling the first 'hums' of budding sexual feelings. It was powerful! 'nuff said.

Loved me some old transistor radio- I think it picked up 3 stations?

My transition from a good little Catholic girl to a hippie-type who questioned absolutely everything. How- HOW did I ever fall for Mormonism?

Black and white TV- damn lucky to have it, too.

How schools had the 'cool' kids, the 'middle of the road average kids', and the poor 'unfortunates' that were ostracized. Nope, I wasn't one of the cool ones. Never was.

My 'American Flag' mini-skirt that always ended up in the trash (Dad!!!) and then ended up back on me! I think it was a bit larger than a postage stamp.

My first crush! An older boy, too.

First discovering music that took me to another place and headspace. Led Zep, the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd. My BFF's cousin was the guitarist in Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention and he sent us a copy of their album "Freak Out!" Now THAT was a mind expanding experience!

Anyway, I wouldn't change a thing. Looking forward to hearing more responses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:49PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:59PM

Ed Sullivan

Ed Sullivan showing Elvis from the waist up.

Chubby Checker

The Stroll

Running to the restroom to pull your garters high so your nylons wouldn't bag at the knee.

Sitting in the car with your legs straight out so that your stirrup pants wouldn't bag at the knee.

Bandstand

Backcombing your hair and spraying it stiff.

Waiting to be old enough to wear a skirt below your knees only to have fashion change to short skirts just as you got there.

Madras plaid shirts

Beta Boys

Wiglets

Baby Doll PJs

Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:21PM

Hanging out in the premortal world

Tagging along with my big brother JR who was cool enough to not be embarrassed by me even after achieving superstar status for the whole atonement thing.

Watching heavenly father weep because his children were all having sex, questioning authority and basically enjoying life.

Witnessing heavenly father go crazy from time to time because all his hens were having their aunt Flo visit from another planet.

Going shopping for senine candies at kolob mart.

Flirting with my heavenly sisters and confiding in each other how bad we couldn't wait til we got our bodies and could have sex with each other after a celestial union at the temple.

Wishing my earthly mother luck as she left to inherit her mortal tabernacle in 1961.

Good times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 01:21AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:22PM

Songs:

Come Together
Gimme Shelter
Whole Lotta Love
Badge
The Weight
Like a Rolling Stone
I Am the Walrus
A Whiter Shade of Pale
For What It's Worth
Brown Sugar
Eve of Destruction
Born on the Bayou
Born to be Wild
Mrs. Robinson
White Room

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:27PM

Flower Drum Song, with Jack So, at the Thunderbird Hotel

going on a mission when missions were a lot more loosey goosey

Robert Redford opening Sundance, with $5 lift tickets and my Head 360 skis! my first skis were wood, with cable bindings...

Driving from Vegas to St. George through the reservation.

Dances at the Guard Armory and the scandal of Huey M. doing the 'dirty twist' with a Catholic girl!!

Driving without seat belts. Glass packs and exhaust system cut outs.

Ditching school for no other reason than to ditch school

decorating the school gym for the Junior Prom

spending graduation night with a mormon royalty girl who couldn't
be seen with me in public.

going to my draft physical in Los Angeles, wearing my garmies.

"winning" the draft lottery: I was #365.

waiting for my first child to be born in Provo Hospital

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:31PM

if you can remember the 60's you weren't there.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:57PM

I registered to vote on my 21st birthday (you had to wait that long back then.) It was in 1969. So I most certainly did come of age in the 60's, and remember them well.

Marches

Protests

Sit-ins

"Hell no, we won't go."

Grieving for former classmates who died in Vietnam.

Beads

It was the BEST time to be young.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 01:22AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:49PM

so I didn't come of age in the 1960s but I remember most things posted.

I still have 300 45s in my closet from the 1970s.

I got ready for school everyday listening to my brother playing the Doors,

I was allowed to wear mini skirts. My mom bought them and sewed them for us.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:54PM

Freshman initiation-today they call it hazing

Homecoming parade-a big deal in my little town

Cuban missle crisis--Beehive teacher crying in class and scaring us so much we thought we were going to get bombed

JFK assasination-Freshman in HS-Career day-teachers so upset they dismissed us and told us all to go home.

Ski club-all the cool rich kids were in it. Begged parents to buy me all the gear and then I fell off the tow rope, lost a ski and so embarassed that I quit ski club

KOMO

BEATLES- obsessed with them!

Classmates going off to Vietnam--so scared

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 11:54PM by gemini.

Posted by: claraoswald ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 12:23AM

the best was plopping the fizzes on your tongue to let them dissolve there, root beer was the best.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 10:52AM

claraoswald Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the best was plopping the fizzes on your tongue to let them dissolve there, root beer was the best.

Even better was breaking up a few and stealthly dropping the pieces into a few sacrament cups as the tray went down the row. Watching the "Primary Colors" fizzing away as the tray was passed from hand to hand was quite amusing.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 12:29AM

Watching the original airings of Star Trek on NBC. Wagon Train in the sky. I learned more from Roddenberry about humanity than I did from the church.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 12:42AM

I don't know what was mentioned in Round 1.

I won't even get started on the great songs, performers, and musical groups.... There's been nothing like that, since, IMO!

The Twist

Diet Rite Cola

The Watusi

The Pony

The Bop

The Mashed Potato

The Jerk (Yes, it was a real dance)

The Swim

The Beachboys at Lagoon

Bear-trap ski bindings--your skis would never fall off--loved them!

Charm bracelets that would rattle in church (mine had a tiny cow bell on it.)

Thick black eyeliner

The beehive hairdo. The rumor about a girl who didn't comb out her ratted beehive for a month, and she found a nest of black widow spiders in there.

JFK

MLK

Mandela imprisoned

Sputnik--dogs in space

The Moon Landing

Polio vaccine!

One neighborhood "heart-throb" drove a fiberglas Corvette, and another had a T-Bird sportscar (metal). After a huge debate, the T-Bird won out.

Flip-flops were called "thongs," and the church definitely didn't approve of those.

Haight-Ashbury, Finoccio's, the march on Washington, Black Panthers in Oakland, Stanford U discards the grading system.

Stanford Professor conducts studies comparing African brains to Caucasian brains, his lawn is burned, and he and his family hastily move to another country.

There is a "march" on our small California town, and the bank where I'm working locks its doors, and armed guards are called in.

the Viet Nam War.

Against her parents' wishes, my friend marries a beatnik musician guy named Jerry Garcia.

The Pill

Andy Warhol

The very first Superbowl, in LA, the Green Bay Packers vs ??

Psycho
The Birds
Sound of Music
James Bond begins (Goldfinger)
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Kurt Vonnegut
Stephen King
Sylvia Plath

Anyone remember Barry Goldwater's slogan, "In your heart, you know he's right." I suspected a Mormon came up with that one.

Oh yes, the Communism scare and the John Birch Society.

The Cuban Missile Crisis

The Berlin Wall went up.

The Peace Corps

My friends all wanted to be stewardesses.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 12:50AM

You forgot the Bristol Stomp!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 01:01AM

My first co-ed skinny dipping party. Must have been 30 of us...with lots of booze...

RB

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 01:20AM

"White Rabbit" , Jefferson Airplane , 1967

Leaving on a Jet Plane, Peter, Paul and Mary, written by John Denver in 1966

The Hilarious House of Frightenstein, with Igor dancing, and Vincent Price, among others. (Only for Canadians maybe?)

Although they likely started earlier than the 60’s, I’m going to add the A&W drive-ins, with carhops, and the trays that hooked onto your window.
I don’t think those came to where I lived in Canada until the late 60’s.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 01:25AM

Drugs will get your post pulled.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 01:55AM

Fats Domino

Chubby Checker

Obese Backgammon

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 03:46AM

Dr. Tim, experience, Watt's "Way of Zen", Baghavad Gita, OM yoga, surfin, pink wedge, Wolfman Jack and the mighty XERB! Cream, Hendrix, surf music. Sandoz, and "Da Bear" Augustus Stanley. Tahquitz Falls, Brotherhood of Eternal Love, Laguna. Eternity Beach.

Trips to Mexico, camping for weeks on the wild beach. Empty North Shore, South Shore, Rincon, Ventura and SB, Trestles, San-O, Swamis, Cardiff, Terra Mar. '50 Ford Woodie wagon, '55 Ford panel van, Mexican straw hats and sandals, cactus! Tacos, burritos, jalapenos! Mota...

My Baby Luv <3 <3 <3

~3.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 04:42AM

Itchycoo Park

Sally Goes Round the Roses

The Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus

Tomorrow Never Knows

Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Just Checked In (to see what condition my condition was in).

Did I mention I saw The First Edition in concert at the Smith Fieldhouse? True story, first semester, 1968.

Thelma Camacho looked pretty hawt in her white jumpsuit.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 05:27AM

Ah yes, our condition.

Shades of green, won't that be cool...

Date: January 30, 2015 06:31AM

hello Wrote:
> Ah yes, our condition.
>
> Shades of green, won't that be cool...

Thou knowest.

A Green & Gold ball for the exmos.

That would be trippy.

Date: January 30, 2015 06:40AM

>>>>Anyone remember Barry Goldwater's slogan, "In your heart, you know he's right." I suspected a Mormon came up with that one.

OK Breeze, equal time for non-Goldwater supporters:

"In your guts you know he's nuts"

Posted by: optional2 ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 05:45AM

Thanks for the memories! The names of the songs bring back so many memories!

Brought back the time when my sister showed us how to do the twist and the jerk in the kitchen ...
When she drove us in her car to the drive in theater to watch "To Kill a Mockingbird", and many others!

Fred Flintstone pounding on his door, My Dad loved watching that with us!

So many good memories.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 05:56AM by optional2.

Date: January 30, 2015 06:00AM

Remembering 1968 when my Mom came up to Provo for a visit.

We decided to take in a movie so she hopped on the back of my motorcycle and off we went to the UT.

She was ok with the ride but she wasn't too impressed with my choice of a movie.

It was "The Graduate".

Hey, I was a college kid, right?

Besides, Kathryn Ross is a BYU film school alum, I'll have you know.

So here's to you, Mrs Shummy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 06:13AM by Shummy.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo GOD ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 09:19AM

Yep, watched some of you burn draft cards and flags and bitch and whine about VietNam and military service. Cowardly bitches, the whole lot of you.
Many of us served our nation in the military and still figure you yellow bastards should be castrated and hung.

Date: January 30, 2015 10:06AM

Why such anger after all these years. Vietnam was an ugly scar on the lives of most of us 60s kids. I didn't know anyone who burned their draft card, but I knew three guys who came home wounded and three more who didn't come home alive. Then there were the guys who didn't come home at all. I worked with a bunch of hawks who had done military service during the lull between Korea and Vietnam and didn't like my MIA bracelet. My husband had tried to enlist, but flunked the physical and got a 1Y classification. That meant we lived in limbo until the lottery. Every six months he had another physical and at any time they could have changed his classification to 1A and he'd be gone. It was hell. They wouldn't let him go and get it over with and they wouldn't cut him free.

I admire all of my friends who served in Vietnam and to this day I mourn the death of the soul mate who didn't make it out alive, but I can't help wondering what wonderful things he and the other men, whose names surround his on the wall, might have done if they had lived.

I believe that if all of those "whiners" you speak of had been able to convince the government to get out, before we lost, many lives would have been saved.

My grandson served a tour in Iraq and I just wonder when will it end. Thankfully he came home unharmed physically and he's doing his best with the mental demons.

I thank you for your service and I hope that you get past the anger, though the pain phase isn't much better.

Date: January 30, 2015 10:23AM

Wearing your boyfriends class ring with gobs of tape on it to make it fit.

Being in the school Musical.

Staying out all night after graduation.

Riding on the school float in the hometown 4th of July parade.

Learning to drive.

Learning to drive a stick.

Debate club

Sitting in Geometry and hearing that JFK had been shot.

Watching TV all weekend and hearing the sound of the drums.

Going shopping in Salt Lake wearing gloves and heels and a bag that matched.

Going for your first job interview and worrying about smoothly getting the glove off your right hand at the end of the interview so that you can shake hands.

Dressing up to go to the movies.

Wearing a dress and heels to fly on a plane.

Wearing a hat to your Catholic friends weddings.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 09:55AM

Cruisin' Van Nuys Blvd. on Club Night, lining up at Bob's Big Boy for Car Hop Service, listening to The Real Don Steele on K HJ (Tina Delgado is alive! ALIVE!) Sometimes heading over the hill to Hollywood Blvd, then to the Sunset Strip, then out to Will Rogers' and hanging out on a lifeguard tower and...

Weekends and all summer Zuma, Santa Monica (Sorrento Grill) or 26th St. Manhattan Beach, Dewey Weber Surfboards, Hobie Cats, Surfer Magazine (Murphy Decals)...

Dances at the HS gym with live bands, and dopey dances at the stake center with deejays like that Bryson guy...

White Levi's, Pendleton shirts, Fairchild moccasins, Letterman Sweaters...

The music of the sixties was incredible...too many songs to list, Lloyd Thaxton, Wolfman Jack, Robert W. Morgan, Shindig, Hullaballoo, listening to "Chicken Man!" serial episodes, and the "Credibility Gap" on KRLA...

The best of times...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 11:44AM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 10:17AM

I assume Round 1 is a complete list that I could only repeat. For me - Cavern Club in Liverpool with Cilla Black taking the coats and 'that new band' playing in cheap suits and guitars bought from Rushworths Music on weekly instalments.

Dave Clark Five, Herman's Hermits, Beach Boys 'Good Vibrations' and receptions where ladies were offered Babycham.

Silver Blades Ice skating rink in Kensington Liverpool - good times there - and everything else mentioned in earlier posts.

Being a teenager in the 60s, here in Lancashire, especially with my job, was a roller coaster ride that I'll never forget.

However, we thought it was just a phase that would pass at the time.

Briggy

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 10:41AM

Did anyone mention the Ed Allen exersize show, and his wife Barbie?

Jan and Dean
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
The band 'WAR' (Cisco Kid, Why Can't we be Friends, Low Rider, Spill the Wine)

Miles Davis Bitches Brew Album was conceived, the first jazz 'fusion' album, starting the genre.

The James Bond film series began in 62' with Dr. No

Segregation ended in the 60s due to federal legislation.

So much more, what a dynamic cultural time... what happened, did we all fall asleep again?

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 10:44AM

Saw the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band at our high school. We also had the Coasters, The Drifters and quite a few others at "assemblies"...

Date: January 30, 2015 10:52AM

Wow, I'm impressed. I saw the Beach Boys at Lagoon.

Date: January 30, 2015 11:18AM

torturednevermo Wrote:
> Did anyone mention the Ed Allen exersize show, and
> his wife Barbie?

Meh.

Jack Lalanne, a real man's man and Aquanetta his lovely wife..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.