Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mmass ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 02:13PM

4 weeks ago telling me that the letter was being forwarded to local leaders.

I haven't heard anything since.

Does anyone think it possible that they have just checked a box and sent it back for processing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 02:26PM

..or the local leaders are so busy helping the needy, sick, and despairing in their ward/stake that they haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm kidding of course! :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 02:26PM

You'll get a letter from the local bishop wishing you well and leaving the door open for your anticipated return.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 26, 2017 01:59PM

I wonder if they actually ever get their hopes up.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 02:57PM

The bishop of your local ward is doing some paper-shuffling. Give it another month or so, then contact the Member Records department in SLC if you haven't received the final "you're out" letter by then.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 03:05PM

In your situation I might call SLC Member Records and ask them to move the process along. This usually works for exmos who are anxious to get their final letter, especially if they speak with authority in their tone of voice. Good luck.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 03:09PM

Yes, do this. The locals are known for dragging their feet but a blast from headquarters usually lights a fire under their back sides.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 03:45PM

It's my understanding that once they receive your letter of resignation, and in this case, acknowledged it, you are no longer a member. What the locals or others do is just their internal bookkeeping and doesn't involve you as you are no longer a member.And yes, apparently, they see no need to complete their process in an expedient manner.

You are done, done, done! Congratulations on taking your power back and owning it.

This is your life. You live it as you chose. You are in the drivers seat! Have fun trying on different ideas and creating a World View that makes sense to you!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 10:41PM

When I resigned in 1994, I received a letter from the church offices, telling me that my resignation would take affect in sixty days and that any time before then, I could change my mind. I waited sixty days and then figured I was free of them. Considering how I called the church a cult, in my resignation letter, I am surprised they made me wait sixty days.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 11:02PM

The COB is playing games with you. Once they get your letter saying you have resigned, you're no longer a member. You are under NO obligation to talk with your local leaders or wait for the church's timeframe.

However, you may wish to send the membership department a copy of their letter with a strong reminder that by sending it to you, they have acknowledged that they received your resignation and that you consider additional contacts to be harassment.

Remember, Mormonism only has power and control over you if you give it to them. Don't give them anything but the middle finger. Best wishes, The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 11:02PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 25, 2017 07:22AM

It's boiler plate. You are out of the church, regardless. Not to worry. Had you known to do it, you could have avoided this by stating in your resignation letter that you were "aware of the consequences," and refused all future contact with local leaders.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: July 25, 2017 03:57PM

As others have noted, you're out. Now. You've officially been out four weeks.

Your letter of resignation is your resignation. Their reply four weeks ago confirms their receipt of same. That's it.

They like to pretend otherwise but in fact they have no power to deny or delay. You're out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.