Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 11:07PM

Lately, I'm going back to reading some of the history and stories that I grew up on. When I was on my mission and in seminary, we read and memorize only certain scriptures and even though we read the BoM & Bible, we don't really reason out "Why" the scripture or commandment was given.

Many of them, like when Joseph Smith was tarred and feathered in Ohio was taught to me as a "faith promoting" story. Well, after Steve brought it up, I found and discovered the cause and history of why J.S. was suddenly tarred and feathered by the same family that had offered him room & board. "...and now for the rest of the story" and I laughed, cried and told my dog all about it.

I also am re-reading D&C 9:7-9, D&C 132, etc... and researching why certain scriptures and commandments were "suddenly" received.

The whole history on the priesthood restoration, keys rcvd and the organizing of the offices and powers of the church. (why did it take 5-10 years for Joseph Smith to provide his visitations from John the Baptist & Peter, James & John???)

Grant Palmer has really helped me understand where the BoM really came from. RandyJ helped guide me to research why and how the BoA was translated at the time it was and how it helped establish and confirm things like the King Follett discourse and other "new" understandings on the pre-existence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 11:19PM

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 11:23PM

I've read your moniker and kept thinking, "Dydimus...dydimus...Now why do I know that term?"

The other day in my HS class, we reviewed the sexual organs of human biology and of course epidydimus was in the review. I smiled and remembered your moniker, then wondered why you chose dydimus as I could not remember in the previous "Why your moniker?" threads.

Date: January 31, 2015 12:07AM

It's a purposeful typo of Didymus. John 11:16--16 Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.

Thomas is my real name.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 12:18AM

It's amusing how these things can be interpreted. Never would I have thought of a biblical reference.

For tar and the feathering visual of an assbadger that abuses people, I give you this AHS gem: http://previously.tv/m/cache//2014-12-04-ahs-18/184975636.jpg

Date: January 31, 2015 12:32AM

Yeah, if someone googles epididymis, they're going to see some fascinating male organ diagrams.

Posted by: BensonsLegacys ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 08:05AM

Steve Benson, with all of his intelligence, will be greeted by his Grandmother in the hereafter.

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 08:59AM

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 11:45AM

"Steve Benson, with all of his intelligence, will be greeted by his Grandmother in the hereafter."

What about Steve's grandfather, Ezra? Are you implying that Ezra isn't in Mormon heaven, and thus won't be available to meet Steve? :-)

Not that anybody on this BB would even want to live in Mormon heaven.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 06:22PM

Meaning the sanitized Mormon one that's all been made-up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2015 06:23PM by steve benson.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 09:32AM

He helped countless people, but....
Couldn't help himself.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 10:01AM

Mormon history as put forth by TSCC is really just "smoke and mirrors" with a large dose of "faith promoting bullsh!t" thrown in for good measure.

Truth and Mormonism have never met!

Date: January 31, 2015 10:25AM

I know, right?!?! There I was living my happy little TBM life, when someone showed me some true history. At first, like most TBMs, I thought it was anti- and decided to do a little research (thank the Google God). It took all of about 15 minutes to destroy what I had been taught and to discover what I hadn't been taught. What I hadn't been taught or shown made me so angry and feel so ignorant, that's when I went searching for more.

I was one of those who used to dismiss everything as..."Well that's from the Tanners" or "That's a story from an apostate over hundred years ago". Then Richard Bushman and Todd Compton's books came out which I devoured.

Date: January 31, 2015 10:46AM

The very first "anti-mormon" or, as I like to say, "pro-truth" book that started me on the road to recovery was Jerald Tanner's "Changes in Joseph Smith's History".

I was initially shocked to learn that Joseph had "a beer" and that the angel was Nephi and not Moroni. I reasoned that if the church were true as they claimed, why would they have to misrepresent (lie about) their history?

Soon after, the BoA papyri were shown for what they really are and I left the mormon CULT for good.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 10:33AM

dydimus wrote:

>I also am re-reading D&C 9:7-9, D&C 132, etc... and researching why certain scriptures and commandments were "suddenly" received.

Some time ago I read a biography of the prophet Mohammed (PBUH) written by a believing Muslim. I noticed that the same thing happened to him: a problem would arise (often something quite temporary or mundane) and suddenly there would be a new Sura for the Quran.

Posted by: notGod ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 10:55AM

Steve-o is a sweetheart. He never ran around naked in the House of The Lord.

Oh, edit.

Steve-B is a sweetheart.

Oh.

Take off your shoes and throw them at a non-political person like a corporation. Corporations are people my friends!

Oh.

Steve-B washes clean the hubcaps of humanity.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 11:50AM

.....that almost all of Joseph Smith's "revelations" were produced to respond to a current, often trivial, mundane, issue, or to obtain money, power, or women for himself.

Date: January 31, 2015 12:50PM

And after 1838, a full six years before his death, almost none were produced. Too many had failed or become out of date and required rewriting. Joseph's "thus said the Lord" days had pretty much come to an end. Of course, exactly when and by whom section 132 on polygamy was written has never been clear since it wasn't even known in the church until well into the Utah period.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 06:20PM

"Why didn't you tell me all this stuff before? I want a do-over!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2015 06:24PM by steve benson.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 06:35PM

Hmmmm, I don't think prophets, seers and revelators get mulligans.

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 07:53AM

Wow a mulligan lol!!! How ironic is it that a church that is so uber moral was founded by a guy that made up doctrine to pick up chicks! That is funny...I don't care who you are!

Thank you guys!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.