Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newnamejapheth ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 12:00AM

I emailed the church Sunday with my resignation. Got the letter today stating it is a local matter, along with the pamphlet. Now what do I do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 31, 2015 12:00AM

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 12:08AM

Now you wait.

The "local matter" letter is de rigeur. Now you just wait out the 30 days the local folks have to process it, and you should get the "Per your request, your name has been removed..." letter.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Go buy some bubbly and pop the cork when your confirmation departure letter shows up.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 12:10AM

If you are known to your "local matter" bishop, he may try to visit you, otherwise just wait and it will clear in a few weeks.

Date: January 31, 2015 12:12AM

I am known, because I actually became active in my new ward approximately a year ago, when my wife converted. I like the guy, but I hope he doesn't try to visit.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 12:12AM

Wait the standard sixty five days and simply ignore all efforts by the stake to bring you back.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 02:30AM

Or send it back with: I'm not stupid. The law says I've already resigned, the moment you received my notice. I do not wish to receive any contact whatsoever from your representatives other than a letter confirming my resignation.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 10:42AM

I essentially did this. I basically wrote that it was irrelevant that they considered my name removal "a local ecclesiastical matter". I had written the church membership headquarters of my resignation and I expected to get confirmation within 10 business days per US laws. They of course did not comply, and I did not expect them to, but I wanted something in writing to beat them up with if it came to that. As it was, I got the official letter not much later than 10 biz days.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 12:38PM

The excuse will be that he must be sure you understand the eternal implications or he must be certain you are who you claim to be. Yes, they actually say some exmo might try to impersonate a TBM and mess up the record. LOL

If you want to eliminate this final contact, you could phone or email the bishop and tell him you're serious about resigning and you won't tolerate this last intrusion on your time and patience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.