Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newnamejapheth ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 12:23AM

For those of you who have left, what did you do with your scriptures? I have this set here personalized with my name. I've kept them through my many moves, even during my years and years of inactivity before becoming reactive last year. Even after I became active again last year, I never used them, because I found the electronic version to be more convenient. Now however, since I'm resigning, I'm throwing the garments away. But I feel weird about throwing the scriptures away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 12:57AM

I threw my Triple away and kept my Bible. I was trying to hold on the Jesus at the time. I actually wish that I had kept the Triple. Sometimes I ask myself, how I believed certain things, and I wish I could see my notes and markings. It might give me insight into my old self. Then again, maybe it doesn't matter what I thought back then, I don't believe it now.

I had a problem with the idea of throwing a book away and it seemed even worse to burn it, but I couldn't give it away. For one thing, my name was printed on it and my thoughts were written in it. I also didn't want to pass on to someone else a book that I now see as racist and misrepresented.

Whatever you decide, it's just a book. It only has the power you give it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 01:05AM

Mine are from the 1970's before they made some changes.

They're up on the top of some cabinets serving as little lifts to display objects above the crown moulding. They're the perfect thickness and size for that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 01:05AM

I threw them away while I was still active. I hadn't even opened them in years at that point, & I just threw them away. I had a different set for Seminary, & I bet those were just reused by another student after I graduated from high school.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 01:47AM

I gave all Mormon scriptures, including Joseph Smith translation of the Bible to Deseret Industries. I purchased a non-Joseph Smith translation of the Bible from Amazon.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 01:55AM

Burned them in the fireplace.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 01:59AM

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 01:00PM

Carol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Me too

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 02:22AM

I keep mine as reference books. I never use them for devotional reading, I just use them to look things up for arguments I am having with Mormons and other theists.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 02:32AM

For some they will always be special because of who gave them or an association to something else. For others a reminder of something hurtful. This is a time of transition, you get to think and decide what you do. Kinna scary but way cool :) Besides, who else could make decisions for your life better than you? I have kept two sets, my Great Grandparents. I think it is interesting to see the notes they made and just thinking about them holding them. I wish I had more of their books and had known them. I did know their children well and they must have been very interesting people.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 03:04AM

I thought of keeping them, too, but then realized that inside was garbage, and I didn't want to contribute to it polluting anyone else's mind, the way it polluted mine, so I threw them away. I threw away all my Mormon books. Most of them had come from my parents, but I had read every one of them. Several were written by relatives. The books took up 3-4 large shelves. I did keep the Bible that my father had on his mission, and my own Bible, that had been a gift. They had the gilt-edged pages, and leather covers. I'm still a Christian. I use the Revised Standard edition, now.

I think it was therapeutic to get rid of fake scriptures, and fake advice, that I no longer believe in.

Posted by: SCMDforgotmypassword ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 03:59AM

Out of respect for my parents, who gave my present set to me for my 18th birthday (along with a car, so I can't hold it against them for the lousy gift) I keep mine on a shelf in my office.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 07:11AM

I would recommend keeping them.

If we ever have another TP shortage, like we did back in the 70s...

You never know.

~Breedum

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 07:16AM

I sent mine to the landfill as a part of a load of other trash. If you have a set that uses the words "white and delightsome people" keep them. They're evidence of the church's racism.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 09:33AM

I have keep mine. My Bible is important still for my spiritual life. My triple sits on the bookshelf as a reminder of thirty lost years. It also is an edition printed in the sixties so it can be used as a reference to denote any changes as time goes by and the brethren make changes.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 09:38AM

They are on one of the religion shelves in my reference library. I have sacred books and commentary books of many different religions, and the LDS scriptures now are nothing more than part of that reference and research tool.

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 10:05AM

Using the word Scriptures for Mormon books makes my head hurt.
its part plagerism, part imagination, part fantasy, yes.
Scripture? NO!
You can keep them, like a memento, but if it makes you feel better, put them in a bin in the garage or something.

Enjoy life, hugs!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 10:14AM

I kept my folks big quad. Everything else went to the landfill.

RB

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 10:30AM

All the Mormon literature went onto the shelves alongside other religious literature.

I hate throwing written material away. There may be many more copies extant today, but who's to say that they'll still be around in another hundred years?

The Bible and Triple are set off to the side somewhat, as they represent a personal investment I don't have in the other books.

For those contemplating throwing stuff away, I've got a book written at the close of World War II discussing up-and-coming religions in the US. It's got several pages from the Hinkster when he was just a PR flak, long before he became a GA or Q12 or President. I've never seen another copy surface on Amazon or eBay. Should the church ever wish to whitewash or rewrite history, it's good to know that you'll be able to call them out on it.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 12:57PM

I wish I could sell ours. We had a tradition in the family that when you turned 8, you got a quad. That's 5 quads = $$$ down the drain.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 01:03PM

Tossed the lot of it into a dumpster several decades ago. Anything I want to look up I can find online. There is nothing I NEED to look up.

Frees up shelf space for stuff I care about and/or enjoy.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 05:55PM

Still have them so I can show the younger generation in my family the changes to the BoM should they ever start to question the cult.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 06:03PM

I posted how it had her name above the return address where my older TBM sister lives. Inside the front cover are notes written to me in my mothers hand. She's telling me to read it twice, once for pleasure and again with thoughtfulness.

I put the thing in a plain brown bag and took to my recycle can this morning. I didn't want the garbage collector to see it. He might think I was a Mormon or he might dig it out for resale. Now, it can't do anyone any more harm. It will be dumbed in a landfill and run over by a dozen big machines and more layers of trash.

Posted by: flyinghigh ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 06:16PM

Stupidly threw them, along with many other books, manuals and magazines onto our local garbage tip.
With all the recent denials and changes in doctrine and official statements,etc., wish I had held onto the hard evidence now.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 06:19PM

I just put them in a drawer in my closet and havent thought about them since. Next time I move ill probably toss them, but Ive had them since I was 8

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 08:16AM

I have personalized ones with messages from my mom so it is hard to toss them. I keep them under my bed so they are out of the way, but still accessible since I prefer hard copies over computer screens, and for evidence of changes. It is funny that I've used them more often researching things from here then I ever did when I was a moron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 08:18AM by Anon Dunn.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 12:56PM

I have my quad in my "scripture bag" and I threw it under my bed and forgot about it for the last year until this moment, haha!

I think I will keep it, along with a couple old church books I have.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:16PM

How much would my big leather bound quad have cost when Dad bought it in the 60's? Anyone have an idea?

Ron Burr

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:30PM

I worked in the book department in ZCMI in the early '70's. I don't remember an exact price but it seems the regular print quads were in the $60 range and the large print quads were closer to $100. The price was also higher for thumb indexing. That was a lot of money back then, heck it's still a lot when it comes from my wallet. We didn't sell many large print leather bound quads, they were too big and too expensive for missionaries to buy and they bought the most.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:37PM

I stuck several pages together with glue in different spots, and cut off the front covers as it meant that nobody else could read it. Then, I threw them in the trash, and since I had dogs at the time, I did pooper scooper duty to add a layer of dog poop on top. My Mormon scriptures and manuals ended up being picked up by the city and ended up in the landfill. As the trash truck comes by in the morning, I was able to watch my Mormon propaganda go away.

The only scripture I kept was an American Standard Bible, as I've had that for years.

Posted by: Peglet (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:38PM

My Triple and the other religious books my mother bought me, I descreetly put on her bookshelf when I came to visit one time.

The religious books I bought, I threw in the trash.

The BoM that the missionaries gave me are on my bookshelf with other religious scriptures for reference.

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:44PM

Wish he would use them :-(

Posted by: saltinecracker ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:53PM

Mission Quad: wood chipper, soaked in lighter fluid and burnt to a crisp.

Many copies of blue BOM with testimony in cover: pitch into trash

Original monogrammed set still have them since they where a gift from my very dear to me grand father. He is now passed and I cannot bring myself to part with the memories connect to them.

I will eventually burn the monogrammed set and spread the ashes on my grand dads favorite hunting grounds. I am not quite ready for this yet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.