Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 12:53PM

Never Mormon here.Maybe one of you could enlighten me as to why Mormons take photos at church?

Coming from a Catholic background here so find it very strange.

You'll often see on ward Facebook pages or on Mormon peoples Facebook pages random pictures of them at church.

It could be of them walking around the church or entering the building or even just sitting down.

Why do Mormons take pictures of such mundane things?

The only time I have seen people taking pictures in a Catholic Church was during people's weddings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 12:58PM

This is new since I left. Taking pictures of everything is new since I left. People take pictures of them changing their socks now (AS IF SOMEONE GIVES A CRAP!)

I would not want anyone to see the inside of the CULT's buildings if it were me. I was ashamed of them when I was a TBM since they looked like a corporate office and not a religious building.

And I for sure wouldn't want anyone to see how wall to wall brats run loose and undisciplined in the CULT.

So, you got me. No idea...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 12:59PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 08:18PM

I'm with you on this one; that's because everyone has their phone with them, so start taking selfies wherever or whatever they're doing.

I don't think this is a "Mormon" thing as much as a human thing with vanity issues or thinking incorrectly about "what others would be interested in seeing"!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:11PM

It's their only proof of anything.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 01:20AM

Maybe they are hoping that the ghost with the most might show up in the background, or Joseph Smith-with "the laying on of hands" on a woman, of course.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:15PM

No idea. I think it's part of the weird way people post pictures of the mundane on facebook. Like pictures of what they are eating or whatever. But funny you should say that about Mormons because a Mormon friend of mine posted a selfie of herself and her family in the car on their way to church this Sunday. Weird.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:22PM

They do? Can you point me to some?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:40PM

This has to be a new thing since I've left, since the only pictures I remember seeing were taken in the gym, next to the baptismal font, or outside of the building. I never allowed pictures of myself inside those buildings because I thought they looked like an office and not like other churches I've been to.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:44PM

It's because they spend so much time there.

The teens are there every morning for seminary. They come back in the evenings for functions. They clean the place on Saturday's and are for most of their day on Sunday.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 01:51PM

because they do take pictures of weddings, etc., and someone gave me some pictures of the day my twins were baptized just recently that were taken in the church some 21 years ago.

My daughter took a picture in the conference center with her friends. One was the stake RS president. Afterwards, they wondered if they were allowed, but they still have it.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 02:06PM

*RAISES HAND* Oooo ooooh I know the answer to this one!!

Taking all those churchy pictures (and sharing them on facebook) is their way of proving to themselves just how d@mn happy they are.

;o)

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 02:15PM

since the advent of th iphone everyones at it, particularly the ones in love with themselves. it's probably more poignant to ask why don't catholics.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 02:19PM

They still don't allow filming in their chapels. Case in point my TBM mom's sparsely attended funeral in November 2013. All my family could do was a audio recording (and bad sound quality). I'd wished that was recorded on video just to see my emotions at the time.

Yet the morg has no problem recording their devotional at morg schools or even the morg conference center. And they don't want the public to see how bland, boring and dull their chapels are!??

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 07:54PM

Funny thing happened at Grandma's funeral- Pics all around, posing with the dead, everyone smiling, well except the deceased. Goofy!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 02:22PM

Those pics were: 2 of relief society. 2 of seminary. and the last one looked like a new convert with the missionaries who converted her.

Posted by: greengobbelyguck ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 04:13PM

Catholics sounds dull. I don't usually see someone posting pics on facebook of a sacrement meeting or temple sessions at that ither. But anything else goes. Waitin for the day we get the green light to wear blue jeans at the Sunday business meetings. Opps Sacrament meeting.

Posted by: Renie ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 08:24PM

Catholics might be dull but they can wear jeans to church and no one bats an eye...to any mass...even for Christmas or Easter.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:19AM

Two observations:

1. Catholic services, though in the realm of "dullish," are pure excitement when compared to LDS sacrament meeting. And so much more "true" than Mormonism.

2. You can begin to wear jeans to any LDS meeting anytime you want. Anyone can set that pace. You do, however, need to know that eventually somebody will pull you aside. And you do have to have some choice words ready.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 08:29PM

Hey, Catholics can wear jeans to mass, so we're not so dull, Gobbely!

It wasn't the picture taking that got me so much, as people tweeting and updating their Facebook statuses in the middle of SM.

Even as a TBM, I found it highly disrespectful. I was raised Catholic, and my Irish Catholic Momma would have knocked a phone out of my hand if I brought one to church. (Not that anybody had one back in those days...)

And at the United Methodist Church where I currently attend, you almost see everybody pausing at the door to shut their phone off before they enter the chapel.

But in the Chicago YSA ward I was in, you'd look around and see at least 5 people on their phone at any time...and maybe only one of them was actually using it to look at scriptures...

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 10:16PM

Mormons use their phones in church because the meeting is so damn boring they would do anything to not have to listen to what is going on.

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 09:57PM

Catholis are NOT dull!
Just ask any of the hung over parishioners on any given Sunday

Posted by: Renie ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 09:20AM

The smart ones go to church Saturday evening and then they can sleep it off Sunday morning!

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:24AM

Actually, we slept it off during Sunday Mass. You wouldn't think so, but Catholic church isn't a horrible place to sleep off a hangover. Our service was boring, but the monotone of the priest's voice was soothing and conducive to falling asleep. The smell of incense and the beautiful workmanship of our surroundings was soothing, too...no glaring lights, like those in the Mormon church.

And after an hour, it was over...but they give you a free slosh of wine before they send you out the door with some soothing organ music.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:16AM

again, they hedge, this time on their rules about taking pictures.

so many rules, regulations, all shaped around Control, regimentation.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:17AM

Because of the fine workmanship and beauty found in LDS chapels?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.