Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 03:02PM

There's several good reasons why I shut down my FB account- and some are for things like what I read this morning.

My husband has an account and I occasionally get on it. I haven't looked at it for awhile but when I did today- boom. Annoyed.

A family member of mine was having some sort of discussion via a link she'd posted. In her remarks made by her were these words- "If a man who has direct communication with our lord says it's important that's good enough for me!"

Sooooo many things wrong with that type of thinking! I almost wish the prophet would ask the members to do something outrageous like re start polygamy or ask for 15% or turn over all property over to the church.

I wonder if her thinking would change then...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 04:01PM

I don't do Facebook anymore either. Every time I would get on I would be annoyed too by all the Mormon messages. That phrase really sums up Mormonism well.

I'm hoping that TSCC encourages all members to move to Utah. I'm sure that most wouldn't think twice and would pack and move in an instant.

Date: February 02, 2015 05:37PM

Utah or Missouri, which is where this relative lives.

Its so sad so many of them drink the damn Kool aid.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:40PM

NO! As someone who lives in UT, I don't want more mormons moving here. Isn't it time for them to start pulling their hand carts to Missouri? (Sorry, anyone who lives in Missouri.)

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 04:05PM

I read the title of the thread and was certain my wife posted it.

It's just so familiar to me. It's a married guy's earworm!

Date: February 02, 2015 05:39PM

its actually fun to see him get worked up over it. =)

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:48PM

Other than "let's go shopping" and telling cute stories about war widows his own age giving him their tasty pies to eat, what has this man said?

Date: February 02, 2015 07:12PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 07:32PM

I make a practice of unfollowing anyone who is consistently annoying. That, or I unfollow the sites from which they post "inspirational" graphics or graphics that don't apply to me. That has helped a lot.

Facebook has interesting dynamics. One thing that fascinates me is the "friends vs. fans" phenomenon. Some people treat you like a friend, some treat you like a fan. They expect you to put up with all kinds of spammy posts but never respond to anything you post.

Bragging is also interesting. Some people will post constantly, bragging about their dogs, their kids, grandkids, etc. Like, like, like, like, like. "How cute, how pretty, how talented." But brag on occasion about your own family's accomplishments and...radio silence. How nice for them! What, is that "like" button too hard to push? Makes me wonder.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 07:33PM

Pil-Latté Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "If a man
> who has direct communication with our lord says
> it's important that's good enough for me!"

Since there's no evidence any "god" exists, or that any man has ever had any such "direct communication," her irrational assumptions that lead her to give up her responsibility to think are not just alarming, they're downright stupid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.