Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 03:17PM

The Mormons have their temples and "The World" has their ultrasounds.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153049348670410&set=a.10150091994225410.287951.610065409&type=1&theater

I've known several couples where baby makes a marriage happen.

I thought this was not a really smart reason to marry? Maybe I'm just old fashion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 03:20PM

Just once I'd like to see a knocked up bride wearing a fire engine red gown.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:05PM

I had a friend who did that. Her father walked her down the aisle with her on one arm and a white shotgun in the other. It was funny. Great wedding. They're still together 40 years later.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 08:33PM

My very Catholic cousin married his very pregnant wife, surprisingly in white. They had always planned on getting married after she got pregnant to ensure that the legitimacy of our grandmother, who was pregnant with our oldest uncle when she and our grandfather got married, was okey-dokey. I love him.

Date: February 03, 2015 11:13AM

I never knew it was historically more common than I had previously thought. I am from Utah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 11:14AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 03:31PM

There's something not quite right about all of this. It's hard to tell when she got engaged and when she got pregnant. That photo looks like it's from August 11.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 03:35PM

check profile they got engaged this christmas and the linked picture is from August14

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 03:33PM

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 03:34PM

Well ... ya... thankful for living in a tine where a baby isn't a reason to get married in a hurry.
But BF and I announced it in a similar way, that we will have a little bundle of joy. Funniest comments were those of Morgs that stunningly asked when we married and how they could have missed it.... ^^
But as I observed the mormons are getting away from templesqare engagement pics to pictures taken in front of huge trees or parks to announce their holy union.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 03:43PM

I once checked records in Plymouth Massachusetts in the early sixties and in at least 40% of marriages a baby arrived in under eight months. Since in some cases there are miscarriages, I figure half of the marriages were due to pregnancy.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:04PM

It may be the only reason to get married. Kids need marriage. Adults don't.

Date: February 02, 2015 05:33PM

Excellent point.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 11:22AM

Disagree.

Statistically, married people have better quality-of-life indices (health, financial stability, freedom from alcoholism & mental health problems, general happiness, and so on). Lots of studies bear this out. Lots of people will provide lots of exceptions, I'm sure, but I'm discussing this in terms of large population groups.

Marriage is no ticket to happiness, but it does improve your odds.

An interesting demonstration is that married people tend to be better surviving life-threatening disasters, even when they are significantly older than the younger ones. One example is the Donner Party, where it was the bachelors who had the highest mortality rate.

Date: February 03, 2015 11:24AM

Another excellent point.

Life is soooo not black and white.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 03:57PM

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 04:55PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 06:22PM

It's been a few decades since I read "Ordeal By Hunger" (great history), but I recall that (1) the actual consumption of human cadavers was not done an awful (pun intended) lot, and (2) they took care that nobody consumed their own family, but the very frozen corpses of others.

Some of the survivors exaggerated and sensationalized the situation later, out of a strange need for infamy or to profit from the experience in various ways. If you have to get your head out of LDS issues, "Ordeal By Hunger" is an...ahem...engrossing read.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 02:40PM

My TBM ex-FIL and MIL spent years trying to convince their kids that they didn't "have" to get married over Thanksgiving break their senior year of high school (and not in the temple). And their first baby was just premature when she was born 7 months later (weighing 7.5 lbs.).

I guess that due to her age and immanent demise, recently my ex-MIL finally admitted to her daughter that she was pregnant with her when they got married. Daughter replied with, "Mom, I've known that since I learned how to add." MIL was mortified that her kids had all figured it out before she told them. Hell, all her grandkids knew it. It just didn't matter to them. They told their grandmother that what mattered is that they had a successful 50+ year marriage. But it has always been the family joke and we always wondered if their parents thought the kids believed that. Apparently they did.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 04:31AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 04:32AM by anonuk.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 03:42PM

I don't get why he feels it's okay to share a person's facebook profile for everybody on here to see.

Date: February 03, 2015 03:45PM

If you can see it, they did it not me. Why is it a problem for you?

Edit: it is a photo. If you choose to browse them that is your problem and theirs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 03:46PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 03:47PM

Because I don't think they were expecting somebody to put it on a message board to be made fun of.

Date: February 03, 2015 04:21PM

Making fun of them? No. But I would if I thought it was worthy of it. And you know people can make things private right? If I care what people do with my Facebook posts I would make them private.

I don't understand how an open Internet is so closed in some people's minds. It is like putting up a poster on the street and someone asking me not to gather a few people who have no idea who that person was to laugh at it.

Nannying the Net is and interesting viewpoint but one I do not hold.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.