Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 04:46PM

John Dehlin's getting booted out. Kate Kelly's already out. Why doesn't the church excommunicate Seattle Seahawks Offensive Coordinator and LDS church member Darrell Bevell for calling the worst play in the history of professional sports?

I realize that *technically*, Brother Bevell didn't violate any church policies. But I think the church should institute a "special cases" category for people like him. It would help punish the weak-minded and make the church look better.

Just a thought.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 04:53PM by Tal Bachman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 02, 2015 04:51PM

The church could just say, "his stupidity has made all of us look bad".

Lastly, I couldn't help but notice that in his post-game interview, Bevell didn't seem shaken up at all; refused to admit it was a stupid call; and in fact, blamed wide receiver Ricardo Lockette for the interception. If that doesn't warrant excommunication, I don't know what does...

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:02PM

Mormons seem to have a knack for blaming someone else. I think they learn it at church.

Befell should have taken responsibility for setting up that last play by the Seahawks. It was a bad idea, and it was his bad idea.

Fire the guy, and then excommunicate him for his own good.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:02PM

Yes, had Ricardo Lockette weighed another 300 pounds, he would not have been knocked away from his path to the ball. He would have caught the ball and the Seahawks would have won. Next time he'll know to weigh a lot more. I'm glad Bro. Bevell had the guts to put the blame where it belongs.

Also with regard to that call, Satan made him do it. The Holy Ghost was screaming, "Marshawn up the middle, Marshawn up the middle!!", but not having fasted as he should have, Bro. Bevell was not in tune with the spirit.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:21PM

He was working on Sunday. This is his punishment.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:29PM

His name will go down as the caller of one of, if not THE, dumbest calls in football. Ever.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:36PM

If making bad/stupid calls were a problem for LDS inc. All the past profits would have to be excommunicated along with Bronko M.

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 05:49PM

Indeed brother Bevell called a slant play on 2nd & 1 at the 1 with beastmode Lynch in the backfield? WTF?

Bevell had a stupor of thought?

That may go down as the dumbest OC play calling in NFL history.

Was he wearing his magic Mormon underwear on the sidelines?

Stunned by the intercepted pass with 20 seconds to end of game?!?!

Totally an idiotic call imo.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 06:38PM

The team is perfect; the people are not.

Posted by: Tikbalang ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 06:39PM

Move over Bevell.....the Sea Chickens just hired Linda Lovelace as their new Offensive Coordinator....she don't choke on the big ones...lol

The Sea Chickens don't have to worry about re-signing Marshawn Lynch....Bevell and Carrol showed how much faith they have in him and their offensive line....not much....let's throw a slant into the teeth of the defense...instead try to gain one yard with Lynch....what a joke...almost a minute to play and only second down....I've lost all interest in football after that one...and to think those Patriots are world champs....make one ill.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 06:52PM

It's football & $#*t happens. Didn't any of you guys ever made a bonehead mistake? And frankly this wasn't terribly boneheaded; If any of you are halfway decent students of football you should remember how many times those heroic goal_line stands happened.

Besides it wasn't Bevell who threw the ball; He gave it one of the most trusted guy to throw it..
I also realize it is tongue_cheek analogy Tal's trying to make here but it doesn't work.

If you wanted to report something stupid there was another bonehead tragedy that night;
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12269196/warren-sapp-arrested-suspended-nfl-network

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 09:22PM

Stupidest. Call. Ever. Probably in the whole history of football.

I can't believe he still has a job.

~WA State diehard Seahawk fan

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 02, 2015 09:23PM

They would have to ex BM for wasting 2 time outs to "ice the extra point" in the Miami Beach Bowl. BYU had no time left without those timeouts to try and win the game in regulation, and Memphis easily won in OT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 09:23PM by axeldc.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 12:22AM

Linda Lovelace passed away in 2002.

Date: February 03, 2015 12:40AM

More amazing than the stupidity of the call is Quinlansolo's perfect record of being wrong about absolutely everything lol

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 09:56AM

Of course a Mormon called that play—"And he came to pass..."

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:07AM

That's some funny shit right there, left field.

... And, yes, the kindergarten class knew better than to throw a 'slant' at the 1 yard line with Lynch in your backfield.

It doesn't surprise me that a Mormon was behind this crime.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:43AM

What are Bevell's career options now? The Hawks are vigorously defending him, but that could change. (Did you see the look on Paul Allen's face?) If they decide to keep him, sportscasters for the next 25 years will will talk about that stupid call every time the camera pans to the sidelines. And if some other team hires him, same thing.

Until last Sunday I'll bet he thought he was a sure thing for an NFL head coach job. That's not likely to happen now. Maybe Fargo High School? The dude's been on a full ride scholarship for the last 25 years. Maybe they'll finally pull it.

Posted by: brainfrees ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 01:18PM

Before and during the game she kept gushing about how the Seahawks OC was Mormon and how he was going to be recruited to a head-coaching job after the Super bowl. It's such an amazing testimony to his character, humility, etc. because he was a starting QB for Wisconsin but was never drafted (I may be remembering this wrong). So instead he "decided" (insert FPR here) to become an assistant coach. But now look, he's going to be a head coach.

It was borderline intolerable - like it is whenever some Mormon is in the media for something positive.

Then strangely, since the end of the game, not a word about Bro. Bevell.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 05:25PM

Correct. Not picked in the '95 draft. Went into college coaching for a few years, then went to the Packers as an assistant. He followed Childress to Vikings where he eventually became OC, and enjoyed some success. After the Vikings' disastrous 2010 season he was put out to pasture along with the rest of the Childress group, then got picked up by Carroll in 2011.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 01:37PM

If they exed Mormons for making horrendous decisions, they'd
have to ex Brigham Young for coming up with that whole handcart
idea which lead the worst disaster in the history of Mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.