Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Questioning Questioner ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 01:50AM

Especially for believers (in some God/higher power/religion)

What does a testimony mean (doctrinally or to you) in Mormonism? How does that compare or contrast to what a testimony means in another religion? (Other Christianity, some other religion, whatever)?

Did it change from you when you switched to Mormonism (for converts)? Did it changed when you switched out of Mormonism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joan99 ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 08:51AM

A testimony in mormonism relates to the restoration. I once got called out in public in testimony meeting because I did not say the church was true or that Joseph Smith was a prophet. I did say that I was happy to be part of a church that had such fine programs for the youth as I was a part of the young women's program at the time. I really did not know that a testimony was so narrow until I was called out, which was embarrassing. In the Christian church I belong to now there really isn't anything with the name testimony per se. One has faith, it is not presumed that one can have sure knowledge of anything. We stumble along the best we can with love as our goal.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 09:31AM

I visited a mostly 'black' church in San Diego years ago.

There was alot of 'testifying' going on in there.

...Along with a raucous house band playin like nobody's biz.

Awesome!

As far as 'testimonying'~ How fucking annoying.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 09:39AM

I think the concept of testimony varies a bit among the different Christian faiths. I'm a Methodist and have never given a testimony at church. It's not something we do. Like joan99 says, in my church it is kind of assumed one has faith.

I have a friend who belongs to a Southern Baptist church and they do talk about their testimonies. I remember her writing one out for a Sunday School class she was in. She doesn't like public speaking, so the thought of standing up in front of a bunch of people and talking about how she came to believe in God made her very nervous.

Posted by: almostthere ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 10:28AM

You can compare "Testimonies" from people of lots of different religions here:

http://testimoniesofotherfaiths.blogspot.com/

Check out the Christian ones, but also check out the Muslim, Baha'i, and others.

Date: February 04, 2015 12:16PM

From what I can tell, there are lots of flavors of testimony. Some are more similar than others. I've found Mormon testimonies to be most like Baptist, Muslim, and Jehovah's Witness testimonies, as far as what the people actually describe experiencing.

Date: February 04, 2015 12:17PM

This video is also AWESOME-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5F1EB3B4F919226D&v=ycUvC9s4VYA

It shows lots of testimonies from various religions, some of whom there is NO WAY a Mormon could agree with. Still, they are just as strong, and just as heartfelt.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 01:20PM

At my old job, I once had a client testify to me when he was picking up his order. It was awkward. This guy was clearly either a Baptist or Pentecostal or a non-denominational evangelical. He was totally nice when he did this, but it was just weird.

Posted by: Anonyman ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 01:28PM

When I was younger, me and my friends used to classify the "testimonies" on Fast Sundays. Most fell into either "thank-amonies" or "story-monies." Some were "preach-amonies" or "cry-amonies" too. Just depended on what people felt like sharing that day, but they almost always ended with the classic, over-arching "I know the church is true" catchphrase. As long as you ended it with that, you were good to go.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 03:01PM

Some of the "cry-amonies" fell into the "ail-amonies" aka "ill-amonies" types.

I never liked those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 03:02PM by moose.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 08:38PM

"Testimony" is one of those words that means something very
different to insiders. And sounds pretty innocent to
the mainstream who don't realize what it means to insiders.

Posted by: bentleye ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 09:50PM

Testimony is weird way (to me) to say "faith". Faith is an interior thing that you can express or not. Testimony sounds kind of salesmanly like. Do you have a rap or spiel or routine to present about God? It is weird but it is not as weird as to use the word "witness" as a verb that means "to tell people about stuff in an ancient book".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.