Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 12:51PM

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865688813/Op-ed-Amazons-headquarters-search-reminds-us-of-the-need-for-an-educated-workforce.html

I didn't realize that Utah leads the nation in college dropouts.
From the article;
"Utah ranks highest in the nation in percentage of adults who started but did not complete college, currently about 30 percent."

I wonder what the percentage is from BYU?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 01:03PM

So I wonder what the rate is if they ddon't count missionaries and women hunting husbands?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 01:15PM

My sister-in-law went to BYU to meet a husband. My brother quit school almost as soon as they married because? She got pregnant on their honeymoon so he had to find a job instead of finishing his education.

She quit her job shortly before they married, and retired from the workforce. And school.

That seems to be the standard fare of BYU students. Men return from missions to next find brides and become husbands/fathers.

School takes lowest priority behind those things.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 03:53PM

Mormon women, especially in Utah use college as a way to meet a RM and quickly get married. Once they become pregnant, they tend to drop out to focus on raising their children, since it's harder to go to college while having a baby practically every year.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 11:04AM

This is, of course, exactly what they are urged to do. For a Mormon woman, her priority is getting married and birthing babies.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 01:17PM

Well, don't tell this to the seemingly significant posters of this very Board that are continually attempting to convince themselves that higher education is nothing more than a money sucking, liberal scam.
The funny thing is I don't know of anyone who has finished their college education that has ever said, Gee, I wish I hadn't completed my degree.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 01:46PM

Personally, I've never said don't go to college. I advocate for being smart and focused about how college can help a student to meet his or her goals. (I also think that some students are better served by Vo-Tec programs, or by 2-year career programs at community colleges.)

If you major in business, the medical sciences, technology, and certain other fields, then the chances of your being hired are good. If you major in the liberal arts, then you had better have a plan for how you will be employed after graduation -- perhaps through internships, perhaps combined with some business or technical classes. Simply majoring in English, History, or Liberal Studies without a strong post-graduate plan is a recipe for possible disaster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 01:48PM by summer.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 09:13PM

Face palm - Why did we send all the dumb jobs to China?

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 09:27PM

Ummm feelings.

Posted by: notmonotlogged in ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 04:31PM

Because, in all seriousness....it is.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 09:25AM

notmonotlogged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because, in all seriousness....it is.

Since the skills I learned in college got me a twice-the-median-income-starting-salary job right out of college, led me to earning 6 times the median income within 5 years of college, and gave me the skills to grow, learn, and move up to CTO of a NYSE company...

Bullshit.

Of course, you have to work your butt off, college degree or not, to do well. But the simple fact remains that without a college degree, your odds of making good money and getting high-paying "leadership" positions go way, way, way down.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 01:41PM

You have to wonder how many of those dropouts are women, given the Mormon preference for SAHMs.

Developing an educated workforce also requires a strong commitment to Pre-K to 12 public education, not something for which Utah is traditionally known.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 01:55PM

I was always impressed by how smart and high-achieving the mormon kids were in my high school, and I attributed some of that to the fact they were bright and bushy tailed since they'd been up and at seminary already; at my episcopal church we only dragged our asses to youth group early one day a week and had a lifeguard pre-school session once a week, so I knew what it felt like. However, over the years I've seen what awful spellers mormons seem to be, so maybe they napped during english classes. I've never quizzed a mormon on history, chemistry or trigonmetry, so I don't know if they were too tired to concentrate on those either.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 01:56PM

Annnnnd...I misspelled a word.

Great.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 03:31PM

So I'm all like, I seen the benefits of seminary, but I'm like, not sure about them other classes, I'm like how's them gonna help sell friends on my MLM an get on with like, making a lots a money.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 04:43PM

Kuz it's all about hype, and who you know, and working a good scam. Oh, and if your good lookin', that helps alot!

Ain't no college classes on how to manipulate!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 02:01PM

Amazon just started its search for expanded digs a few days ago:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/09/07/amazon-plans-second-headquarters-dubbed-hq-2/640861001/

And Utah usually ranks high in education-level surveys. For instance:

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-educated-states/31075/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 06:23PM by lurking in.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 02:05PM

What.A.Shame.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 06:05PM

Thanks to the Correlation program I have been nurtured on to the most awesome path which must obviously make totally good sense to anyone who reads what I write :)

All this talk of Education is so moot and unimportant compared to what is really most important. What is important is for us to obey the Brethren, live the law of Tithing (well as long as the tithes are managed by the Brethren as they say that they should be the ones managing God's money), and making sure that each/every thought/action we have is focused on eschewing all Doubts about these wonderful Brethren.

Posted by: Amazona ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 06:39PM

They bypassed Utah be cause they have Mormonphobia and refuse to recognize the great scientific and cultural contributions Mormons have made.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 06:47PM

I'm sure that's part of it. They want an educated, not indoctrinated, workforce. Plus, they'd have a hard time in getting Washington State upper management folks to move to Utah.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 08:28PM

Amazon probably doesn't want to run into Sunday/Sabbath issues with prospective employees, nor the other restrictions on various Sunday activities, house-hunting, Car-shopping.

On top of that, Utah's f'ed up liquor laws and Amazon bypassed the state for other similar states (economy-wise, educated-wise, cost of living..)

Posted by: NoMormo ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 04:36PM

Utah actually has a high-tech educated workforce. I think Amazon meant that Mormons are rather stupid (read: uneducated) because of what they believe, and they don't want a workforce that might have potential conflicts with non-Mormons.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 04:50PM

I'm a female college dropout because I listened to the prophet. What's pathetic is all of my TBM siblings managed to graduate from college. All of them live a better life than me.

I can't put complete blame on the church. It's my fault for being too stupid to finish and making a poor choice in who to marry. Now I'm stuck because of our kids who will never live on their own. I'm a stay at home mom until the day I die.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 09:21PM

Abby: I beg to differ. I think there are colleges that offer distance learning programs. You are smart and know better now. Call a librarian for help in finding programs/degrees you can do from home. Good luck.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 11:20AM

There's a lot of buzz in my city also about our bid for Amazon. People are always like "oh, this is the perfect place (Western Tennessee), logistically one of the biggest transportation hubs in the country."

What??? It doesn't matter where you're located if you don't have the workforce. The company I work for pays well over minimum wage plus benefits for part-time, on-your-feet work. We have a huge staffing problem even at that. Let alone jobs that require education.

But our state is actually addressing the education opportunity problem. Probably not in time to lure someone like Amazon, but by taking a controversial step in how they allocate the state lottery money. It will give more people more educational opportunities, even if it gives fewer people a full 4-year education. Will it work? Who knows, but at least they're trying something other than just writing editorials.

That was the promise of the lottery when it was instituted and I'm glad they have made good to keep it directed at education, even though I'm still conflicted as to the merits of a lottery. All I know is that you can't say the "L" word in Utah. Can't have that tithing money diverted.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.