Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anomnomnom ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 08:25PM

Describe your Mom and Dad in 5 words or less. Unfortunately, mine would be as follows

Mom: Manipulative, conditional acceptance, high expectations
Dad: Submissive, unassertive, defenseless

I bring this up because my mom is deciding to go back to the Mormons church despite the fact that she doesn't believe in its doctrines and never feels like she fits in. My dad on the other hand doesn't want to go back even a little bit, but my mom is manipulating and guilt tripping him into returning despite his wishes. My mom always wins out though. My dad told me himself he doesn't fight back anymore because he never wins. It drives me absolutely nuts. My mom has this whole family under her manipulative thumb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 09:12PM

Sorry that you've had to be around this atmosphere. Is it possible for you to have a conversation with your Mom in which you could tell her what this is doing to you?

My parents have both passed on but this is how I would describe them:

Dad: Alcoholic (died from complications of alcoholism)
Mom: Hard worker, codependent, very depressed, prideful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 09:13PM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: February 08, 2015 09:23PM

I have talked to my mom about how she can be manipulative. She says she recognizes it and wants to change, but I have seen no change. Plus Mormonism is a super sensitive topic for her because she says it is her responsibility to witness my Mormon siblings weddings someday(none of my siblings are currently dating anyone nor are they looking to date anyone) in the future and she will do all the Mormon church requires of her in order to be there. Any discussion I have with her she always ends up turning the conversation on me and tries to guilt trip me and make me feel like I am not a good person according to her opinions that she sees as "truth".

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 09:36PM

Couldn't have had better parents. Dad was a strong but fair man. Mom was a hard worker and totally devoted to our family. Miss them both.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 10:50PM

Mine....as well...

Mom: Manipulative, conditional acceptance, high expectations
Dad: Submissive, unassertive, defenseless

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 11:18PM

Male parent: 1.Insane (with out an excuse because he was raised outside of MORmONISM and converted to MORmONISM as an adult in order to marry his MORmON girl friend -who would become my MORmON mother), 2.insensitive, 3.selfish / self centered 4. dictatorial (resident MORmON enforcement agent in truly MORmON fashion, the real bitch in our family that only had an otherwise token / non existent female presence from the person who was supposed to be the woman in the house, my virtually non existent mom). 5. Stupid, and so stupid that he could even see how much of a dupe that he really was.

Mother: 1. Insane, 2. Withdrawn (virtually non existent as a person), 3.compliant 4. submissive, 5. depressed, and so conditioned to being depressed that she does not even know that she is depressed.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 11:23PM

TBM Mom – Passive-aggressive, co-dependent, enabling, abusive, fake.

Inactive dad – Narcissistic, passive-aggressive, abusive, dismissive, snobbish.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 11:52PM

My TBM mom comes from pioneer stock and from a semi-prominent LDS family. She was ill-equipped to deal with a passel of small children, and we all would have been in a world of trouble had she not beem given a sizable trust fund that allowed for the hiring of house and childcare help. As the children got older, she was better able to cope with us. (It would have been nice for her if all of us could have been born at about the age of ten.) Because she had the practical assistance she needed and could get away when absolutely necessary, she stayed sane as far as we could tell. she never quite fit in with the other faculty wives either at bYU or at bYU-Hawaii. Now she's a wonderful grandmother on her own terms and a good mother to her adult children. She's technically TBM, I suppose, but she thinks for herself and doesn't always keep her mouth shut. Because she stays out of the media and doesn't host any controversial websites, the powers that be ignore her, thinking she'll die soon enough. What they don't seem to be considering is that longevity and mental clarity to a very old age run in her family.

My dad is the more TBM of the two, though he's not without his own mind, either. He, too, is from pioneer stock, but his ancestors were worker bees rather than head honchos. Marrying my mom, with some family connections, might have helped him a bit in his employment, but for the most part he worked for everything he ever got. He had to toe the party line for quite awhile, as he worked for BYU and in various capacities for the CES. He's been a stake president and a mission president. He seems tired of high-profile callings, and he's seventy-two now, so the church is not making too many demands, although they've asked my parents to serve a senior mission, which my parents turned down. My parents are getting out of much church responsibility by dividing their time between homes in CA and Utah. They're blaming my mom's seasonal affective disorder, but I think they like the freedom of each ward assuming that they're at the other ward on a given Sunday when they're not in church. My father was the more hands-on little kid person when we were growing up, which made up a bit for my mom's lack of engagement in the very early years.

Both parents were disappointed when I came home from my mission and immediately inactivated myself to the degree that I could while remaining at BYU. I had enough credits that I didn't want to switch universities and lose any. When I proposed to my non-member wife in public, which my mother knew in advance was happening, my mom cried hysterically until two of my sisters told her to shut the hell up and pull herself together or she'd have a daughter-in-law who would hate her forever. My mom now adores my wife.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 12:02AM

Commend you for attempting to share your feelings with your Mom. It comes down, from my experience through the years, and I am definitely up there with Tyrannesaurus Rex now, that change is hard and work and not something that everyone chooses to do.

I really know that the only person I'm sure I can change, and that is myself. You can ask someone to listen to you, often they take the road that they will not even do that, but very often when they do, my experience is what you had with your Mom - they just want to change you.

Anonnomnom, I will hope for you that someday your Mom will really hear you and listen to what you have to say and appreciate that as people we all are entitled to our own opinions. I hope she comes to give you credit for thinking on your own and for trying to communicate with her. You are courageous and caring, and I hope your Mom tells you that someday.

(((hugs))) and keep in touch.

Date: February 09, 2015 01:31PM

presleynfactsrock

Thanks, I hope so too, but have doubts that will ever happen. Currently my standing with my mom isn't so great. We get along ok but she recently told me she doesn't trust me. I think it is because I am not willing to submit to her will and be supportive of the Mormon church. Luckily I am not totally stuck here and will be moving out sometime this year. I guess I will just be the black sheep of the family...

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 12:28AM

Mother: Angry, broken, manipulative, resentful, secretive, co dependent.

Father: Angry, broken, workaholic, secretive, absent, co dependent, narcissistic.

Both controlling, obsessive, letter of the law mormons.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 12:41AM

Don bagley always has the best parenting stories.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 02:20PM

When I was eleven my brother, flecher, and I had our IQ tested by a graduate student at Columbia University. Dad was reluctant to tell us the results. After much wheedling on my part, he admitted that mine was above normal. He wouldn't give me the number. Flecher didn't even get an answer to his queries. He just got waved off.

A few weeks later, Dad was mad at me for some reason, and we were riding a crowded city bus in Manhattan. "Do you remember what I told you about your IQ, Don?" he asked. I nodded hopefully. "Well," he said, "I lied. You are not smart, but below average. You're dumb." Nearby passengers could hear every word. I tucked my little head down and didn't look up for years.

Posted by: anon hug ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 03:11PM

Intentionally sadistic parents are somewhat aware of the damage they inflict. That is why they are so terrifying. They enjoy it, like a hobby.

Posted by: curious2no ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 07:54PM

Don,

You don't need to tell us your IQ score now, but your wit and way with words portrays a person with well above average IQ.

I am wondering if you think your father was jealous of you IQ and just wanted to "cut you down to size?"

curious2no

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 10, 2015 11:31AM

Posted by: bella10 ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 05:14PM

My parents fit the whole opposites attract idea...My mom is aggressive and always has to have her way. For anyone that knows the book The Color Code, my mom would be a red. My dad is the total opposite. He sort of has no backbone and lets others make up his mind for him. He would be a White in the color code.
I hate to say this but I don't consider my parents to have a happy marriage. They have never said as much, but I can see it. How can two people be happy when one is always being steamrolled over by the other. My mom is never satisfied with the way my dad chooses to live his life. Plus it is a SUPER rare occasion when I see them kiss or hold hands or even just snuggle on the couch watching a movie. They never seem just happy to be together.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 05:18PM

In the 60 years i've known my parents, i've NEVER once seen them hold hands, kiss, snuggle on the couch, or watch a movie together. No affection allowed. They didn't show any to their kids either.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 07:55PM

Dad: BIC in 1910 to pioneer parents from Utah who emigrated to Alberta in 1905.
Mom: Born in 1910 to Scottish Presbyterian parents who emigrated to Alberta in 1905.
Dad started farming in 1928 and met Mom in 1935. They married in 1939 and found they could not have children during WW2, so they adopted me in 1948 and my little brother in 1951. We were so wanted, that they treated us like princes.
Mom, who had always attended church and RS from day 1 converted in 1959 after my baby sister passed away (they adopted her in 1955 and she had cerebral palsy). Mom was a bit more of a zealot like most converts.
After I entered my teen years and became less than a perfect little Mormon boy they still loved me. never once threatening to disown me or any of the other barbaric shit I read about other TBM zealot asshole parents. After getting my drivers licence on my 16th birthday I progressed to full hellraiser status forthwith and later hippiedom. And they still loved me, and after I said no to a mission and married a Catholic and kept my kids away from church, just love. And I farmed with my dad and we were best friends. He and Mom were spectacular grandparents to my never-mo kids. Dad was EQP, HP and HC and Mom was ward RSP and a councilor in the stake RSP and regular temple attendees all over the world. But first an foremost, they were parents and grandparents.
I am so saddened and troubled by how TBM Mormon "love" is conditional in so many families. It is not true love and is evil.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 08:04PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: flyindoc ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 08:04PM

Salt of the Earth. More liberal then most, Berkeley raised. However, their minds, hearts and souls are devoted to the 'gospel'. That's strange, owing to the fact that only two out of 4 grandparents were Mormon; one was Catholic and the other Jewish. Agency and free thinking were encouraged in the home. Dinosaur questions were common at the dinner table.

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: February 10, 2015 10:38AM

I had parents who were victims of TSCC. They were both decent humans who would have done SO much better without church influence. My mother raised her kids in the 50s and 60s and was STRONGLY encouraged not to attempt to be anything but a mother and homemaker. In our rural town I believe she would have been punished had she tried. My dad suffered from depression after WWII and should have been treated for post traumatic stress. He was champion of the underdog and an atypical bishop. He would leave the doors of the church building unlocked so "ragamuffin" (that's whT he called them and we had plenty) could come play basketball. I realize you couldn't do that today, but back then the ball was always left at the building for the next game. I remember when I was very young and it was super hot desert weather, he passed out root beer at a meeting!

But TSCC's influence told him how super special he was and he became more dogmatic and controlling as time passed. My mom became more passive-aggressive and disempowered from church influence. She lost much of her fire and I blame TSCC.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 10, 2015 10:54AM

Dad: unaffectionate, entrepreneur, hard worker, no ego, slender

Mom: affectionate, fair, kind, upbeat, musically inclined, over-weight

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: February 10, 2015 07:35PM

I am the Mormon parent. My husband and I converted when the kids were infants. We proceeded to raise the kids with unrealistic LDS expectations.

I am sorry about what I did to their spirits and self-esteem. Many regrets.

Posted by: austrobrit ( )
Date: February 10, 2015 07:51PM

Gullible :-(

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.