Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 12:08PM

3 Nephi 11:31-41 says that the Gospel is Faith, Repentance, and Baptism. Verse 40 makes it clear that "whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock". The Gospel cant be added to or shortened.

Yet that is exactly what Joseph Smith did. Joseph Smith spend the rest of his life inventing new doctrines in the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sarony ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 01:04PM

See if you can find an essay titled "early evolution of the Mormon conversion ritual."
I wrote it maybe 10 years ago. The "more or less than this, cometh of evil" is articulated many times before one gets to 3 Nephi 11.
D&C 10:67-68 is even simpler.
"Behold this is my doctrine - whosoever repents and comes on to me the same as my church. 68 whosoever declares more or less than this the same is not of me but is against me therefore he is not of my church.
Peace
Sarony

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 02:05PM

No money in that doctrine. Have to add the temple to assure their 10 percent.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 02:53PM

It really did screw him when he kept adding and adding and adding. Oh yea polygamy is in, oh yea secret handshakes, oh yea death oaths, and on and on and on. Well when you are in your thirties you tend to get carried away with power. Oh sh#t that includes me, the powerful badass signing out.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 05:18PM

I remember reading somewhere that Joseph was working on diverting peoples' attention away from the Book of Mormon, because his theology was growing beyond it. Had he not been killed, he might have cast it aside altogether in favor of new revelations added to the Doctrine and Covenants. Also, I don't think he was finished with the BOA yet. New theologies may have been presented with that. And who knows what might have happened with "translations" from the Kinderhook plates?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 07:17PM

He's sitting in the corner: in hell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.