Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canadahillcps ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 10:06AM

I've been out of the church for about 6 years - my wife left first then me, then our children. I haven't been on this site for a very long time but just recently the present Mrs canadahillcps invited some missionaries in. I don't think she is interested in joining - just curious as I was a member for about 30 years. So here sit these two, well dressed young men and I know every single word that is going to come out of their mouths before they do!! Isn't indoctrination a wonderful thing!?! The scary thing is, when I was a TBM I thought I was the most open-minded and accepting person ever to wear a green apron with leaves on it (do they still do that?). So my conundrum is this: if I talk about my mission or my experiences in the church positively, and to be honest there were some, then I am reinforcing their belief system. If I tell them what I really think I'll just be another disgruntled ex-mormon with an axe to grind. In the end we talked about the Dodge Viper - did you know that that car has an 8.3L engine and puts out 600BPH!! Far more interesting than a discussion on faith!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 10:42AM

I would have spoken to them about what you felt on a mission/church experiences.
Mormons have to wake up to the fact that there are many churches with many people that have done the same as you and they too can relate the wonderful experiences they had.
God isn't just interested in Mormonism otherwise Jesus would have told us about it. Jesus said he came to fulfill (that means bring us the answers and complete the work), no where did he mention baptism for the dead, temple work, polygamy etc,etc. God is interested in what you do with your life. You were prepared to sacrifice 2 yrs to encourage people to think about God & Jesus.
You can also tell them what you really think about the church. After all, that's what they go round doing. I know they believe (as you did) that they are doing the right thing, but you have found out that it's all false. They need to be made aware of that.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 10:48AM

The truth is, probably nothing you say will make much of a difference unless somebody is ready to question. These guys are eating, drinking, breathing, sleeping, and reading Mormonism 24/7. Your comments won't change much. Maybe the fact that you are NICE might challenge some of their assumptions.

Talking about the Dodge Viper was probably a good thing. It had NOTHING to do with Mormonism and you all seemed to enjoy the discussion. Probably a welcome change for these guys.

I remember reading about something Steven Hassan (who wrote "Combatting Cult Control") said about 'mini-interventions' (short conversations to help cult members think a little or FEEL something they had forgotten). He would just try to find what what cult members did before they joined the cult, trying to get them to remember their old identity and some happy times before they gave it all up for their religion. It might be something about playing the guitar, or their girlfriend, or whatever. Or you might bring up a really small point that makes them think about their religion.

My husband and I were talking about Mormonism the other night, and we were kind of thinking that it's time to stop arguing about the Book of Abraham and stuff like that and start asking people about WHY the church meddles/controls/sucks so much time. For example, WHY can't missionaries call home more than twice a YEAR? That's just plain WEIRD, when adult men/women are complying as somebody ELSE tells them when they can/can't talk to their family.

That is the crux of Mormonism for me: somebody micromanaging and judging other people, and USING other people to run and propogate the organization.

Posted by: canadahillcps ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 12:48PM

Ya it's pretty scary how sane rational people can give themselves over to a belief system which dictates virtually their every move and all in the name of faith. My first wife had four very difficult pregnacies and we were strongly advised not to have any more children. Me, in my TBM state, went to the bishop to ask permission to have the snip. He said, after much prayer, no so I didn't. I look back and cringe. I have since concluded that all faith is wrong. The thinking being, that any belief system by definition negates all others. I will never again align myself with any organisation that has the potential for such misuse. I figure that if there is a god somewhere he wants us to be nice - so that's what I'm trying for but don't always make it I hasten to add!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.