Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 07:54PM

Moving there in a few months for a new job. Was wondering about some affordable places to live in good areas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 08:01PM

Alexandria is a delight. You are going to love it. Very pricey, though! The major issue in Northern Virginia (NOVA) is the traffic, which is insane. It would be to your advantage to locate yourself near a commuter line. Hopefully some people who live in the area will be able to help you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 08:02PM by summer.

Posted by: AnonRightNow ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 08:13PM

Try Bristow VA. It's newer, clean, has low crime, and good schools, and is on the VRE railway line that runs right into Alexandria.

Date: February 12, 2015 09:32PM

Thanks. It will be nice to live outside of Utah again.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 10:03PM

I live in FFX COunty. Nothing affordable for miles, and miles and miles...

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 10:32PM

It's all about the traffic. Map out your commute. Not enough information in your request to give you much more advice. Condo market is hot with lots of new units in the Potomac Yards.

Posted by: Not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 11:20PM

I grew up in Alexandria and still live near there.

Very nice. Very expensive.

There are neighborhoods that are cheaper than others. Some of them are cheaper because they are scary - higher crime rate. And some are cheaper because they are less convenient or have smaller lots and older homes.

There are lots of apartments, condos, houses in various price ranges. Lots of people here live farther away from town and commute. Expect it to take you a min of 30 minutes to drive anywhere. Traffic is bad.

But I still love living here. There's a LOT to do. There are lots of interesting people. The area is always changing because so many people are always moving in and out.

Date: February 13, 2015 01:16AM

Yeah, I keep hearing how expensive it is. I'll be moving with my girlfriend (wife by then) and a small dog.

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:20PM

If you want to be in Alexandria, try the West End. Lots of condos there and maybe even within walking distance of the Van Dorn Metro Station. It still would be expensive but probably a hell of a lot cheaper than Old Town.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.