Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: captmorgan ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 09:44AM

I was reading through some exmormon stories on here and I've noticed that in a lot of stories, those who left often ran into TBMs around town and had a lot of guilt and anxiety running into them. I grew up on Long Island and we never ran into anyone we knew besides at church. I left the church right after high school and never went on a mission, so for me leaving was just a function of not ever coming back. I certainly didn't face the same pressure, except from my family.

I didn't really appreciate just how hard it could be for people to leave. Esp when you're surrounded by TBM and can run into them pretty much everywhere.

So, what part of the country were you living in when you got out? Did you kind of fade away like I did? Or did you get a lot of push back?

-CM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 09:49AM

I left about 8 years ago. I had just moved to Riverton, Utah. I am surrounded (100 or so) by TBM family members on my wife's side. I am the first to leave.

I am still in Riverton, Utah. No one ever asks me about why I left or what my current beliefs are. Yeah, family get togethers can be a joy.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 09:49AM

Alpine, Utah.

I get that some people worry about community perception, but my experience has been pleasant. Neighbors still occasionally drop by (for matters unrelated to church). My coworkers certainly don't care.

I think some people think that others care more about these things than they actually do. Some aspect of a persecution complex persists for some, I suppose. Being an ex-Mormon in Utah is pretty easy (there are a lot of us!) compared to what actual religious persecution looks like.

So leaving for my wife and myself was easy enough, even in Utah County. We wrote our resignation letter and moved on with our lives. If you let the Mormon church continue to define you after you've left it, then the problem lies with you, not your community (not directed at the OP, but something worth stating).

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:08AM

My TBM cousin and her very wealthy TBM hubby live in Alpine. You prolly know them.

The first home he built there had a full racquetball court in the basement. Marie Osmond looked at buying it.

They are in the same ward as Lloyd Newell.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 09:52AM

Salt Lake city, In the 60's

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 09:57AM

I'm right next to Mount Doom in the land of Morridor.

When my wife and I left, about half of our neighborhood stopped speaking to us. My extended family hasn't spoken to us in 6 months. Her family has been a little better than mine, but still cold. It would have been nice to slip away quietly, but in Morridor that's impossible.

On the bright side, we have made several new non-mo friends who are much better people than the fake, gossipy "friends" assigned by the cult.

Posted by: Virg ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:00AM

Northern NJ. I hardly run into anyone from church.I only see them once in a blue moon in the towns where there are more members.

Date: February 13, 2015 10:09AM

Maybe that's a northeast thing. I moved to NJ a few years back and it seems like TSCC density here is much lower.

Posted by: Virg ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:20AM

I think so. I haven't gone to church in about 8 years. It's kind of nice when you spot missionaries and you can walk past them because they have no idea who you are.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:11AM

Utah County, 2000's.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:18AM

Provo, BYU. Early seventies. Of course I had to try to hide the fact that I had defected until I graduated, but rumors swirled and I got so many "feel ups and brush ups" or "garment checks" that I'm sure it would qualify as some kind of record. I knew how to play the game and always had my garments on. I used to put them on and off while I drove the car depending on where I was going. Wouldn't want to try that now.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:38AM

Southern Alberta. 7 miles north of the Moridor.

RB

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:38AM

I did like him as a dentist.
I'm not sure if I would as a neighbor.

Also high school friends moved to that area. He was/is a bishop. She's a convert. We all graduated in early 60s.

I suspect everyone I know there is TBM.

KJ

I drifted away...........living in S. California made it easy except for family.........
When at BYU I was not TBM either......had to keep a low profile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 10:42AM by kj.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:48AM

Hey, KJ. Your secret's safe with me.

Posted by: freeatlast2015 ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:40AM

Seattle area, 3 weeks ago! Freedom tastes sweet.

Date: February 13, 2015 10:49AM

How's everything going so far?

If you're going to start drinking coffee, you're in the right place!

Posted by: PNW ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:44AM

South of Seattle 15 years

Posted by: neverfooledagain ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 11:54AM

Pennsylvania, not Philly. Zero mormon density around these parts, thank heavens.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:19PM

I was in Southern California.
While there were plenty of non-mormons around to make new friends with, I still ran into mormons frequently.

I think what makes things really tough, no matter where you live, is that often before we leave, our entire lives are tied up in the church. TBMs spend so much time doing church things, and only attending church social functions, that they very often don't have many or any friends or social contacts outside of the church group, no matter where you live. That was largely the case for me -- every one of my friends (and family) were mormons, so when I left and got the typical shunning, I was essentially all alone. It took me 2-3 years to begin to have some kind of normal social life after that, with new friends and social groups. It was a really hard 2-3 years.

Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:19PM

Alpine, Utah.

No problems at all. No one has asked me why I don't participate. It is sort of a "Don't ask -- don't tell" kind of thing.

I get along great with my neighbors.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 02:19PM

Alpine is that little corner of happy valley where liberals, artists and intellectuals go to get a little peace.

Posted by: postpostmormon ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 05:29PM

I remember going to Alpine once when I was at BYU in the early 70's to my fave art professor's home - Trevor Southey. He is now an exmo and gay - was featured in the PBS series a few years ago about mormons.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 02:43PM

We should have an Alpine get-together one of these days. There are half a dozen or so folks I've seen on the board mention they're from here.

I'm by the camels, if you're familiar with that area.

For all the stereotypes about rich Mormons, I've mostly enjoyed my time living in Alpine, and the bits that I didn't like don't really have anything to do with Utah / LDS culture.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:47PM

Virginia

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:52PM

Northern Calif. Moved at the same time,about 40 miles,so almost no one in my new area knows I was Mormon. Perfect.

Posted by: Saucie not at Home ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 01:33PM

In Southern California 13 years ago..... I saw Mormons here and there but we were always friendly and cordial, they still are.
No one bugs me. It's good life.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 02:00PM

I was fully TBM in Colorado (Longmont, 1980), then moved to Oregon and never attended church ever again. It wasn't a totally clean break because I mailed tithing checks to my bishop whom I never met. After 9 months of exmo gestation, I stopped paying tithing and stopped the HT/VT visits. I requested excommunication by letter to the bishop in 1983 (before resignation was possible) and did not attend my Court of Love. The notice of the hearing was sent to me via certified mail.

My eternal companion converted at age 16 in Susanville, CA. We met at YBme (Riviera Apts). She hated babies because they require more attention than she does. She got pregnant accidentally (using birth control) and got an abortion immediately. She gradually stopped attending in Colorado after discovering she had nothing in common with TBM women.

Extracting myself from a pathological enmeshment with a violent FFA (Future Felon of America) was WAY more difficult for me than leaving the Church.

My parents never shunned me. My Dad regularly sent me clippings and literature trying to reconvert me. The TBM half of my siblings were distant, but I have varying levels of contact with all of them.

I work with a few Mormon engineers. No troubles. One is a bishop and a very decent dude. He and his nevermo business partner founded an engineering company that treats its employees very well. I do contract engineering for his company.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 02:06PM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 02:34PM

I got the shunning with my "divorce." I didn't see any shunning in terms of me leaving the lds church. In fact, I think they treat me better. I've had some issues with one friend, but we've worked through them. No problems with family in terms of the church. Most of my family is out now anyway. I was a lot slower at getting out than even my nieces and nephews. My parents were great about things. They listened to my issues and talked to me about their own. They were more concerned about how I was surviving.

The bishop was GREAT about my resignation. He told me he wouldn't try to talk me out of it because he is very aware of what I had been through (being a close neighbor and father of my daughter's lifetime friend).

I do have to admit I live in an exceptional middle income ward. Best ward I ever lived in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 02:35PM by cl2.

Posted by: piratequalls ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 02:37PM

Roy, UT. I'd lived there for 5 years and the bishop had never even met me. HE felt awkard...I thought the whole 'talk' was kinda funny.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 02:45PM

Pacific Northwest. I moved five minutes down the road into a new stake. Since there were no records to transfer, as I've been Ex-d, no one's contacted me.
I see my old ward members off and on, and I'm sure they know all the good gossip about me, but they are, for the most part, at least friendly and polite. Some of them look at me like I am evil incarnate, now, but then they cover it up and try to be nice. haha!

Date: February 13, 2015 02:57PM

Central Washington, 2009. Now they've got their own mission, apparently concentrating on re-activating the thousands of lapsed, back-sliding Mormons. And illegal immigrants, of course.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 04:16PM

Zoobville, Utah. 4 blocks from the campus. :)

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 05:14PM

Still attempting to squeeze through the exit in Greeley, CO.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 06:00PM

I'm in the UK so if I'm being shunned by mormons I'm not aware of it because they're not around me to let me know, being mostly spread thinly over a wide surrounding area.

In my little place there are at least 10 churches, 4 Anglican (all with female vicars), 2 Methodist (again female preachers), 4 Catholic with the normal male priests and probably a few small offshoot denominations meeting in hired halls. There is a JW place nearby but they have little impact.

I believe the Sally Army meets nearby but we don't see much of them until Christmastime.

Nice quiet life.

Briggy

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 06:11PM

Arlington, Texas, and we hardly ever see old church members. We've been out for 20+ years and have no idea who is still around that we might know.

Date: February 13, 2015 06:11PM

What region of what country? We have Brits here as well as Aussies, Irish, at least one Italian, lotsa Canadians. Possibly someone from Heybobareebob. Not just Mericats.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.