Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomorepowderedmilk ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:46PM

I was looking at this chart from the Canada Revinue Service and it struck me as odd.

It looks like only 2% of revenue in Canada come from tithing and that 92% comes from other Charities. Does that mean church run businesses?

Then the expenses also look odd to me. 65% given to charitable programs and 35% going to other Charities. Why is all this money going back and forth between the charities. You can click on the list of recipients of that 35%, but other than BYU I haven't heard of the other charities.

I also wonder, what are the Charitable programs that the other 65% fund? Building temples?

Does any one know what these numbers mean?

Here is the chart:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/haip/srch/t3010form22quickview-eng.action?r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cra-arc.gc.ca%3A80%2Febci%2Fhaip%2Fsrch%2Fadvancedsearchresult-eng.action%3Fn%3DChurch%2Bof%2BJesus%2Bchrist%26amp%3Bb%3D%26amp%3Bq%3D%26amp%3Bs%3Dregistered%26amp%3Bd%3D%26amp%3Be%3D%2B%26amp%3Bc%3D%26amp%3Bv%3D%2B%26amp%3Bo%3D%26amp%3Bz%3D%26amp%3Bg%3D%2B%26amp%3Bt%3D%2B%26amp%3By%3D%2B%26amp%3Bp%3D1&fpe=2013-12-31&b=826344632RR0001&n=CHURCHOFJESUSCHRISTOFLATTER-DAYSAINTSINCANADA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 02:09PM

Not sure but looks like to me that the 92% that comes from other charities is the tithing from the various wards, etc.

The other charities (wards, etc.) in turn get some money to operate on from the church.

Interesting that total revenue (tithing, other donations) went down from $180 mil to $174 mil. last year.

Shows Canada is providing about $100 million to fund things such as malls, land, and maybe some temples.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 02:15PM

Most of the "other charities" I saw there looked like names of wards in Canada. So the wards gave the church money, the church gave the wards money. The amounts are what's interesting...

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 02:16PM

It used to be that each ward/branch would file their own tax return. In previous years a search could be done by the name of a ward or branch and you'd be able to see what that ward brought in tithing and how much was transferred to an affiliated charity, which was the Canadian headquarters, or "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints -Canada". From there you could see where the money went. One year there sent $101 million, yes one hundred and one million dollars, to BYU.

Since a few years ago they've changed it. They created some sort of corporation here in Canada. Now you cannot see each ward individually but all that money coming from other charities is mostly from tithing from the Canadian wards. The money transferred to charities is either transferred to subsized a ward (one or two out of the dozens), or it is transferred to other charities, lds that is. It's harder to trace now since some just goes to other countries under the PPB, which is the Presidency of the Presiding Bishopric charites in places like Ecuador and Ghana (last time I checked). Who knows where it goes from there.

Bottom line, they take a lot in tithing and it is all just transferred around lds "charities". I didn't see any $ donations to any non-lds Canadian charities in previous years where I've checked.

The money being taken from Canadian members out of the country is one those buttons that just triggers my dislike for this institution.

D

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 04:40PM

nomorepowderedmilk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Why is all this money going back and
> forth between the charities.

That's how you launder the money.

Posted by: Lightworker ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 05:29PM

In 2010 they transferred $102 Million to BYU. I wonder what the Canadian members would think of that if they are not going to BYU in numbers like those in Utah.

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 05:57PM

I was pretty upset when I first learned that. Sure some Canadians go to BYU, but the vast majority do not...

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 06:08PM

It only goes to BYU because they can't legally just straight-up send it to Salt Lake. Canadian tax law does allow sending money to schools, so LDS Canada ships money to BYU. LDS USA in turn has $100m more in the budget because they get to spend $100m less on BYU.

The intent of the law was really for charities funding third-world schools, but what can you do?

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 06:49PM

You got it.

In the past couple of years the church has reduced the amounts going to BYU and money goes overseas. But every penny going to BYU still annoys me greatly because like someone said very few kids will go to BYU.

Sad thing, many average members pay tithing first and then struggle to put their kids through school. Many young lds members get the goverment education loans. Point is, the church wins and Canadians lose. The lds church gets their tithing, does not pay taxes and takes the money to their headquarters, giving nothing in return to the our Canadian communities and taking taxes off our government that could go into education or other services.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 14, 2015 05:29AM

It is amazing that the tuition at BYU isn't free. With a hundred MILLION dollars from Canada alone! Clearly the money gets diverted once it is in the US....

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 14, 2015 06:24AM

The year that Canada sent about 200 million to BYU, I did the math. I can't remember the exact amount of my estimate, but it was in the neighborhood of $50,000 per Canadian student. For that kind of money the students could have gone to any school they pleased.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.