Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wolfunderfire ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 11:57PM

I dont want to sound paranoid or delusional but I just feel I cant take it anymore.
iu moved to utah in march and now the only people I know are Mormon, really.
But I have no support system at all and am being cut off on every side, like a rat in a cage.
I dont even have the money to move to a different apartment, I wish with all my hearat I could as I dont feel safe where I live
and I really want to get out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 12:45AM

"the only people I know are Mormon, really."

Branch out, wolf. Branch out.

"But I have no support system at all and am being cut off on every side, like a rat in a cage."

I would take some time to read the posts on this board and you'll see reasons why people leave this religion. I found a lot more confidence and courage outside Mormonism than in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2013 01:03AM by liminal state.

Posted by: wolfunderfire ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 01:11AM

THANK YOU, LIMINAL.
Think I will go visit the center for Light in SLC or the Llama festival at the Spanish Fork Hari Krishna temple this wknd.Actually the Haris can be pretty decent folk. In Hawaii they used to go down to the beach every single day and prepare delicious wholesome meals and serve them free to all the homeless, travelers, and boho surfers living on the cheap. Nothing required in return. THAT sounds like Jesus, eh

Posted by: JamesM ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 12:24PM

I've been told my town is unique in Utah. I live in a town of 1,000 people with 2 LDS Wards.

I haven't had any problems here. Anyone who has asked me about the Church has received a brain full. The last ones were missionaries and we've been told by a neighbor (TBM neighbor) that the sisters told him they were told not to visit us. So we're on some kind of missionary black list.

I don't think my town is unique. If you try to be a good neighbor and a nice person, they're some of the nicest people right back at you, without regard to religion.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 12:30PM

I don't know about the adult mormons (because I refuse to even talk to them) but I can tell you that the mormon kids in Utah are pure evil. I am moving out of state just to get my kid away from them in a couple of months.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 12:06AM

I was there when I was little, and I’ll second that.

Posted by: flybynight not logged in ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 01:50PM

Wolf, I know exactly what you are talking about. It is real and it happens here in Utah all the time.

In my old neighborhood, I was a single parent with several young children and known apostate tendencies. My neighbors spied on me, filled the bishop's ears with gossip and untrue stories, called the cops and told them I was "abandoning" my kids every time I left the house for any reason (even though I always left my teenager in charge when I went grocery shopping or whatever), instigated several nuisance lawsuits against me (all of which got dropped but caused me enormous time, money, and stress), and targeted my children in various ways. One neighbor finally admitted to me that there was an unofficial ward campaign to drive me from the neighborhood.

It was scary. It only stopped when I moved to another town.

There are plenty of ex-mo and non-mo meetup groups. There are plenty of other churches around, if you want to get involved with them. Go to places Mormons aren't likely to go (coffee shops, perhaps?) so you can meet other no-mos. And, there are a lot of us online. Make friends. Most non-Mos in Utah are looking for other non-Mos to socialize with.

The rental market is tough along the Wasatch Front, but hang in there -- lots of apartments open up in Aug/Sept. Check out the Housing Authority of Utah if you are low-income. Consider manufactured housing (trailer parks).

Getting away from my neighborhood full of Mormon wackos was crucial in getting my life back. You can do it, too, even if it takes a while.

Posted by: JIB ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 10:39PM

The Black list is real. If you ever try to get a Mormon fired, you end up on the list. If you try to get a Mormon agent or representative of a mostly Mormon employed and owned company replaced, you definitely end up on the black list. In 10 years of doing business in an Idaho community that is mostly Mormons, none has ever done business with me. Simply said, they will only buy from their own.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 01:54PM

You need to find new methods of support. There are so many non-Mormon groups out there. Join a reading group, or a hiking group, or an exmo group.

You can find it, I promise! :)

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 04:22PM

Wolfunderfire, you are NOT paranoid or delusional.

Keep reading RFM. Here, you will find information about the Mormon "strengthening the members committee" and the new "discussion groups" in the RS and Sunday school. These groups openly discuss people in the neighborhood who are apostates or "less active." They name names. Privacy is not a consideration. If you feel that the Mormons are ganging up on you, they probably ARE! After my children and I resigned, the Mormons stalked and harassed me for several years, trying to get my children's phone numbers and addresses.

Older Mormons are called on couples missions. One couple I knew in our ward had a mission to track down inactive Mormons on the computer, using Facebook and other sites, and using a people-finding program that the FBI and CIA use. They saw a photo of my son water skiing in California with a Mormon friend. They contacted the Mormon friend, who gave them my son's information.

Whatever you are observing and feeling about Mormons, it's just the tip of the iceberg. My first boss and mentor in Utah told me, "Avoid doing business with Mormons." I have done so, and have kept my business honest, and running smoothly, and everyone gets along very well. Our non-mormon clients are great. However, I also am part of a family business, and our Mormon bishopric nephew stole over a hundred thousand dollars from the company. You are right to not feel safe, at least until you get to know someone for a while. You are new, so you don't have the benefit of trying out new friends over a length of time.

Not all Mormons are bad, and not all non-Mormons are good. Pick and choose your friends on the basis of who they are as an individual.

Also, a friend can be a near-stranger who shares your same interests. I have tennis friends, ski friends, music friends, here in SLC, and I don't even know what religion they are. I also don't know if they have a criminal history. I don't need to know these things, because I'm just playing with them. I'm not leaving them alone with my children, loaning them my car, loaning them money, or doing business with them.

The idea is to not let Mormons CROSS THE BOUNDARIES. Don't give them a key to your apartment. Don't let strangers in there to check out the place. Don't reveal personal information.

Enjoy people in the moment.

If you need a support system--there are doctors, nurses, fire-fighters, police, AA-type support groups, RFM and other online groups, Christian groups, and groups like the Hari-Krishnas.

Be patient. You might not have to move very far. Salt Lake County has a lower percentage of Mormons than Utah County. Park City is great, but expensive. Sugar House has fewer Mormons, but the demographics there are changing. If a neighborhood or an apartment building has dwellings that all look alike, that's an indication that it's mostly Mormon. Neighborhoods closest to the city center, closest to a university, older houses, more smaller houses, and the most expensive neighborhoods, have the lowest saturation of Mormons.

If you're in a rural area, look at some of the surrounding towns. For example, Midway is very Mormon and very backward (there are even old feuding Mormon families there). 20 minutes away, is lively Park City. Stay away from St. George, but Cedar City, an hour away, is nice.

I'm on a blacklist. I tried to resign quietly, and I'm a good person, but the Mormon neighbors are shunning me, anyway. The only Mormon friends I have are from childhood. Even most of my TBM cousins are shunning me. I sold my share of the family business. I'm better off not having Mormons in my life.

Sorry to ramble. I haven't even started on my children's stories of Mormon abuse, gossip, manipulation, and shunning. They were strong, and overcame it--but that unhappiness was unnecessary. I couldn't afford to move, and couldn't afford a private school. Darksided and Babyloncansuckit are right. As a group, Mormon children are evil.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.