Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bella10 ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 01:54AM

What is the craziest story you ever heard a mormon tell?

I can't remember all the details, but I had a good friend tell me a story about how her dad, who worked in construction, had some sort of close call with an accident at work. She claims that if he hadn't been wearing his garments he would have lost both his legs...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 02:06AM

Oh yes, the magic properties of garments are a much talked about subject amongst mormons. Yet still they claim that they are not 'magic' ...

Personally, my favorite kind of crazy are stories of someone's sister's second cousin's friend of a friend who was saved from disaster by one or all three of the 'three nephites'..

Posted by: bella10 ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 02:20AM

Becca, do you have any specific "Three Nephites" stories that you have heard? I would love to hear one.

Posted by: anon stories ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 02:12AM

The "Dream Mine" between Spanish Fork/Salem UT had something to do with Pioneer treasure revelations or something of the sort (my eyes glazed over at that point).

The giant mole hill/hump below the mountains between Salem and Payson is really an under-ground tunnel from Book of Mormon times. (Near the scene in first Footloose movie-tractor fight.)

The last days (going on now for 150 years?)

Jesus is coming back. The church is true. Kolob...

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 02:28AM

The craziest story I've heard was from my TBM ex-husband who said that one night, he saw the hand of God form in the stars which led him to convert after his dad died, and his mom returned to full activity in the church.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 02:37AM

Any of the demonic stories I was told over the years. I have recounted these incidents several times over the years here.

- my sister telling me that one of her companions was a victim of demonic possession

- my bishop at the time telling us at a fireside that he had seen Stan, & thst Stan was a young, very good looking man in an expensive nice suit

- a girl in Mutual telling us that when she was little that demons came through the ceiling at her house to try to get her, & her parents prayed & prayed to make them go away

- my Beehives advisor claiming that Stan broke her washing machine

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 01:07PM

Tristan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - my bishop at the time telling us at a fireside
> that he had seen Stan, & thst Stan was a young,
> very good looking man in an expensive nice suit

Sounds like he was propositioned. By a real person.

> - my Beehives advisor claiming that Stan broke her
> washing machine

Yes, but was he a young, very good looking man in an expensive nice suit, going around breaking washing machines? :)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 01:34PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tristan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > - my bishop at the time telling us at a
> fireside
> > that he had seen Stan, & thst Stan was a young,
> > very good looking man in an expensive nice suit
>
>
> Sounds like he was propositioned. By a real
> person.

I thought the same thing! LOL

> > - my Beehives advisor claiming that Stan broke
> her
> > washing machine
>
> Yes, but was he a young, very good looking man in
> an expensive nice suit, going around breaking
> washing machines? :)

Oh no, her Stan is some evil guy who only knows what she's doing if she talks out loud. LOL

Posted by: rando ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 07:56AM

Older couple went to the temple in Atlanta. Had trouble sleeping at the motel the night before their temple session(s) because of the kids laughing and playing in the room above them. Got up the next morning only to realize that there was no floor above them. They proudly told the story in F and T meeting that is was the spirits of the children they were going to do temple work for the next day. The little spirits were just thrilled that their work was going to be done.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 09:06AM

^ Similar to this ^

My Ultra-TBM Cousin (Never Married Woman of 69 years) told me this tale a few years ago:

Mishies knock on a door.
Little blonde girl answers and says parents aren't home; come back later.
Mishies return and parents say blonde girl has been dead for many years.
Parents join church because dead blonde girl can't be wrong and is sending message from Heaven to join 'One True Church'.

<Gag>

Posted by: ThisBoatHasSailed ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 12:28PM

This happened 40 + years ago. My wife was a leader in young women's and was to go to a stake meeting for the girls. The short story is I attended with her. The featured speaker was a patriarch and he told the story that he died during a battle in WWII and how it happened. Very detailed. Transported through space and ended up on another planet and was soon before three men who told him that he had a choice to stay or go back. However if he went back, part of his memory would have to be removed because he could not share what he saw. He said it was so beautiful and all the people were relatively young but no children and they were very happy. He decided he wanted to go Back to earth and was permitted to. He said he woke up in a pile of bodies on the battle field and the guy who had just certified him as dead was very startled and they whisked him off to a hospital where they had to use stiff brushes to clean his body because his body laid on the ground for a couple days and had started to decay or something like that. He said he even had a toe tag attached but that the paper work that said he was dead disappeared so it couldn't be verified. As a young tbm I believed this man was telling us the truth but now realize he was just full of crap for what ever reason. You should have been there yourselves as he put on a pretty good show.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 12:53PM

I wonder what part of his memory was removed; he seems to remember the whole thing.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 12:41PM

My mission comp went to a fireside right before entering the MTC. The speaker was the guy who plays Satan in the old temple movie. She said he recounted the fact that he wanted to play Satan accurately so he prayed for a glimpse of hell so he could see Satan for himself. He said it was terrifying and if those in the audience had seen what he'd seen, they'd be much more committed to gospel standards.

My mom told me that when she was thinking about joining the church, her deceased mom (my wonderful grandma who practically raised me because my parents worked all the time) appeared to her in a dream and told her that she (mom) was born to be Mormon. Instead of restoring my testimony, as my mom hoped it would, that story made me disbelieve in life after death for a long time. Now I think if grandma did appear and tell my mom that, it was more of a warning than a confirmation she was on the right path. More of a "I knew you were born to make mistakes, daughter."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.