Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 02:46AM

I am going to try to keep this from being political, so please don't take it there. Recently, a Brian Williams has gotten into a bit of hot water for supposedly lying about being on board a helicopter that was shot down by an RPG while flying over Iraq. He is being accused of being a liar, which is ridiculous, as I will soon explain. Now while there are all these witnesses who are claiming to not have seen an RPG, or a helicopter crash, we have to discount their reports, because they were not looking at the situation with their spiritual eyes.

Brian Williams was shot down by a spiritual RPG, in particular, the one used by Moroni during the Battle of the Hill Cumorah, and since buried with the gold plates. This was one of the many items, I have learned, recovered from the hill by Joseph Smith, and entrusted to one of the three Nephites. Why have you not heard of the Holy RPG launcher you may ask? Well, that is simple, you haven't heard of it because it is too sacred to talk about. Even now, I am finding myself weakened, just typing about it. Do rest assured though that it was mentioned plenty of times in the sealed portion of the Book of Mormon, which shall be revealed in due time.

It would seem that time has not always been kind to the three Nephites, and being fairly old, they occasionally get kind of confused. That is why when they witness a mob of people stoning a woman to death for adultery, they can be forgiven for having a flash back to their days of youth when Christian god was commanding his followers do the same thing. They could then be forgiven for mistaking Islamic Fundamentalist for being Mormon fundamentalist, since both groups marry young girls off to old men, and for thinking, just albeit temporary, that they should join in the struggle of these faithful god fearing souls, in trying to shoot down the devil's chariot as it flies overhead.

Brian Williams, being more righteous then any of you, then witnessed the spiritual RPG as it hurdled towards his bird, with his spirit eyes, before witnessing, with those same spirit eyes, the spiritual crashing of a black hawk helicopter, which looks a lot like normal flight operations to the unworthy.

I commend Brian Williams for his steadfast faith, and call upon NBC news to stop religiously persecuting Brother Williams, and to give him his job back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 03:08AM

To borrow the words of a multitude of brothers....

the thinking has been Dunn.

Date: February 16, 2015 03:14AM

I would be remiss if I did not pay tribute to Bob Simon who been there done that.

Date: February 16, 2015 03:42AM

Ship him off to Benghazi with a circle on his butt.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 03:35AM

God help Brian Williams if NBC decides to post some anonymous essays on its website.

The courteous and merciful thing to do would be to wait until Brian is shot by an angry mob before posting the essays.

Isn't it so annoying when the unfaithful get restless ... while you're still alive to endure public humiliation? Posthumous humiliation is so much more humane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 03:38AM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 05:59AM

I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg. Pretty soon we'll be hearing about dozens of "reporters" who saw things only with their spiritual eyes.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 06:37AM

http://youarenotsosmart.com/podcast/

the science of misremembering

In the first segment of this episode of the YANSS Podcast, psychologist Daniel Simons explains that although we will never know for sure if Brian Williams intentionally mislead people in the many retellings of his adventures in the desert, the last 40 years of memory research strongly suggests the kind of misremembering he claims to have suffered is easy to reproduce in our own lives. In fact, chances are, giant swaths of your own personal history are partially fictional if not completely false. The problem isn’t that our memory is bad, but that we believe it isn’t.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 12:45PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that anyone should be able to remember whether they were taking a scary helicopter ride or had been shot down in a helicopter and expecting to die in a horrible burning death.

Hell, I bet I could determine whether I was embedded with Seal Team 6, or if they forbade reporeters of any type.

Unless of couse, one story paid more than the other. You know, like telling everyone that only an angel named moroni told a young man about some plates, or if the Father and the Son both appeared.

In fact, I'm kinda leery of that story too, mainly because his mother and family never ever wrote to anybody about their 14 yearold boy being attacked from every side.

You can remember things differently, and witneses are cross-examined for this very reason. Tell me different color of shirt the bully was wearing when he attacked you and I might believe it. Tell me he murdered you in cold blood, and I'm gonna have to call BS.

Professional reporters get paid and ratings based on the value of the stories they tell. Brians lie caused the soldiers he was with a bit of trouble because they were reported to have been in a crash that never happened.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 02:33PM

well, I am not going to defend BW (or JS) but it helps to understand the psychology involved.

I've been following the YANSS podcasts since the beginning and there is a common theme that - basically - out brains are trying to fool us all the time.
[incidentally, this episode was planned and mostly recorded before the BW incident)

psychologists have known for a long time that false memories can be implanted, recently it has been shown that even memories of committing a crime can be implanted, and the person who is implanted will even add 'corroborating' details.

and BW did not start out making his false claims from Day 1. His original recordings of the incident stick to the actual facts... the chopper on front got hit by an RPG and his chopper - immediately behind - was told to land.

maybe he set out to lie, maybe he didnt...... it isnt a black-and-white issue, as people would like to imagine

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 11:23AM

I am beginning the process of recovering hidden memories of my time in Vietnam. Like when I took out an enemy sniper at 800 meters with my M-16, and without a scope. And the time, as the sole survivor of my unit, I turned back a battalion of Viet Cong with an M-60 machine gun and my K-Bar. And when I carried the wounded General Westmoreland through enemy crossfire to safety.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 12:13PM

I am recovering from hidden memories of Vietnam, too. Like when I recovered five wounded men to a Dustoff site, saving their lives. I got no award for this because it was turned down at command level. Once I was able to kill several 'Cong by just making them eat my C-rats.

It makes no difference whatever that I completely avoided Vietnam. It only matters that I believe.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 07:01PM

I can state that line in perfect honesty. What I actually did was, I served a Mormon mission in Australia from 1974-76. It's not my fault if a listener believes that I meant that I served in the military in Southeast Asia. :-)

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 07:04PM

Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunn ... Dunn, Dunn, DunnDunnDunn ...

Dunn

(Thanks for listening.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 07:05PM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 12:10PM

He believes it, therefore it is true. We all know that.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 12:55PM

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

Thanks all of you for making me laugh.

I loved it.

Posted by: istandallamazed ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 03:01PM

I bear witness that this above post is true.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 03:08PM

There is no telling what went through Brian's mind when the word came that they were under attack. Adrenalin is powerful stuff. I can remember to this day how long it would take to come down from the excited state that my body would get in when the shells started walking their way towards us. I'll give him a little leeway in his memories as to exactly what occurred but he should probably keep those to himself like most veterans do.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 03:33PM

We need to accept a broader definition of being "shot down". There are cases in WWI where "shot down" was used in the non-literal sense .......

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 07:01PM

I still not convinced he wasn't shot down

he has some pretty impressive pics from his career.

http://bloviatingzeppelin.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Brian-Williams-Knew-Lincoln.jpg

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.