Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 05:49AM

"'Star Wars' has always kept its fingers close to America's spiritual pulse.

In the '70s and '80s, the interstellar saga explored Eastern traditions, mainly Buddhism and Taoism, just as many "spiritual, but not religious" dabblers were doing the same.

At the turn of the millennium, "Star Wars" caught the McMindfulness craze. "The Phantom Menace" opens with two Jedis talking about the benefits of meditation. Riveting, it was not.

But the latest film in the saga, "Star Wars: The Last Jedi," touches on trends in American religious life in some surprising ways, especially for a franchise that's so nakedly commercial. ("The Last Jedi" was the highest-grossing movie in the United States last year and raked in nearly $1.3 billion worldwide.)

"It is very much a movie of this time," said the Rev. angel Kyodo williams, a Buddhist teacher, social justice activist and "Star Wars" aficionado who lives Berkeley, California. "It draws on ancient teachings, as well as what is happening in this country right now."

But there's some debate about what "The Last Jedi" intends to say about modern religious life: Is it warning about the end of organized religion, or a parable about spiritual renewal?

'Do, or do not. There is no try.'

"Star Wars" is, at heart, a story about the rise and fall of an ancient religion.

When we meet the Jedis, in Episode I, they're mindfulness-meditating, axiom-spouting space monks who keep order in the galaxy and swing a swift lightsaber.

By Episode VIII -- "The Last Jedi" -- the once-great order is reduced to a lone soul, Luke Skywalker, serving a self-imposed penance on a remote island.

When Rey, the young heroine, shows up seeking spiritual training, Luke refuses.

The Jedi religion is over, he says, a victim of its own hypocrisy and hubris. Luke even prepares to burn the ancient Jedi texts.
(In a bit of historical irony, the island on which the scene is filmed, Skellig Michael, was home to medieval Irish monks who "saved civilization" by rescuing ancient Christian books.)

But the film hints that Luke might not be the "last Jedi," after all. Even without his help, Rey is remarkably skilled at connecting with the Force, the mysterious energy that pervades the galaxy.

This is where some cultural commentators see an argument against organized religion. In previous "Star Wars" films, using the Force required joining the Jedis and spending years learning the "old ways" from established masters.

Luke seems to say that none of that matters anymore.

"He is making a very modern case for spirituality over organized religion," argues Hannah Long in The Weekly Standard, a conservative magazine. "If all roads lead to the Force, then the dusty tradition and doctrine doesn't really matter."

In The Atlantic, Chaim Saiman makes a similar argument. "The Last Jedi" seems to reflect many millennials' ideas about religion, namely their waning interest in "structured religion" in favor of "unbounded spirituality," he writes.

But is that the whole story?

'Always two there are: A master and apprentice'

George Lucas, the creator of "Star Wars," says he wanted to do more than entertain the masses. He wanted to introduce young Americans to spiritual teachings through "new myths" for our globalized, pluralistic millennium.

"I see 'Star Wars' as taking all the issues that religion represents and trying to distill them down into a more modern and accessible construct," Lucas has said. "I wanted to make it so that young people would begin to ask questions about the mystery.""

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/26/us/star-wars-religion/index.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous1234 ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 10:26AM

Luke's religion gave him the motive and the tools to harm an innocent person. The result was that a new nemesis for the religion was created. Sound familiar?

Date: January 27, 2018 04:35PM

Yes, sequel time!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 10:44AM

Savvy, agile, fast-on-the-uptake kick-ass heroine. Sees what she wants, does what she has to do. Feminism a la mode.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 02:07PM

As long as stuff blows up real good, I'm in.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 02:22PM

I can't help but be annoyed by certain cinema contrivances. The sound of explosions in outer space is one of them. I should be used to it, but I can't help it. Also: tires which squeal on EVERY fast turn in a chase scene, even on dirt and gravel! People who clutch their wound when shot or stabbed, and resume the fight or escape. Girls who kick up a heel when kissed.

Maybe I'm becoming a curmudgeon in my old age.

("MAYBE...?!" asks IfICouldHieToKolob.)

Date: January 28, 2018 06:07AM

So, "May the force be with you," still going strong in the Star Wars series.

That's what makes a good jedi from a great one, or no jedi at all.

Maybe not so hidden a message after eight box office sequels. The "force" predominates throughout.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.