Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 09:30PM

I notice on social media that there's a lot of uplifting posting activity, all based on GA quotes. And they wonder why TSCC is not thought of as Christian. Hmm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 10:24PM

Also, LDS church meetings hardly ever mention Jesus Christ at all, other than praying in his name.

Hardly ever does a Sacrament Meeting talk (the holiest of meetings) ever mention Jesus Christ. Same for Sunday School lessons. Same for Priesthood / Relief Society lessons. However, you do get a lot of quotes about all sorts of crap from the General Authorities!

The LDS Church does not follow or worship Jesus Christ hardly at all.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 08:45PM

I mention 'Jeezus Christ' all the time.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 11:23PM

So did my grandfather...and I'm quite certain he wasn't a Christian.

Posted by: Sutekh ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 01:27PM

Roman Catholics are allowed to call themselves Christians. Most of their belief system is extrabiblical, and relies on the teachings and writings of Roman Catholic officials.

How is this different from Mormons preferring to quote Dr. Nibeley instead of Jesus?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 10:26PM

Oh no, they're better than Christians. They're Josephites and that makes them better than Jesus. This comes from FAIR's site, so read away how they tried to explain this?!?!

Joseph made a statement that sounded boastful, and unbecoming a prophet. However, Joseph's quote is taken out of context

Joseph Smith is reported as saying:

I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam... Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.” (History of the Church, 6:408–409. Volume 6 link
http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith/Narcissism/Did_Joseph_Smith_%27boast%27_of_keeping_the_Church_intact

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 10:34PM

That reminds me of John Lennon's quip about the Beatles being "Bigger than Jesus."

BTW:

That part about "…the LDS never ran away from me yet."

But they sure did about a week later, with Brigham Young leading the exodus.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 08:00PM

As an aside, the Josephites were the RLDS while the LDS were Brighamites.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 10:20PM

Yes, you are correct; except Joseph Smith was still alive when he said it, and they (Mormons) were called Josephites before they broke up into Brighamites, Stangites, Hickites, Williamites, etc...

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 01:03PM

I love how FAIR claims the quote was taken out of context but then FAILS TO PROVIDE THE CONTEXT.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 11:46PM

Mormon values are skewered by 'modern prophets' who are nearly 100% oriented to preservation of TSCC; it's like someone would Fall Away if their focus was on such as Kindness, Honesty, etc.

in ~ 40 yrs, I can't remem a single talk about pure Christ-Like living, Golden Rule, parable of Good Samaritan.

I couldn't sit thru another SM with the focus as I remem it as mentioned above, not for Anything. If invited to a SS lesson, fireworks would fly. F&TM? more lies, more emotionality; who needs that ???

the Mormon 'gospel' is all about treating adults like dependent children, children as hatchlings until they're beyond missions, early marriage, Everything is centered around following their plan, to their (ever-changing) specifications.

If the Mormons get any question of (basic) right-wrong Correct, it's a friggin ACCIDENT, believe me!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 12:12AM by GNPE.

Posted by: tikbalang ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 12:06AM

On t5he topic of Mormons being Christian:

Look at their last new State Legislation....to bring back the Firing Squad as the means of Capital Punnishment in Utah....

Only in Utah where they just can't get rid of their Blood Sacrifice?atonement for the state....er....religion....

How can they claim to be Christian when they deny the power of Christ and his Atonement. His sacrifice just wasn't enough in Mormon Doctrine....Off course they are not Christian....

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 01:23PM

So, then, No True Scotsman Fallacy "true" christian churches never quote their own leaders, preachers, etc.?

Oh, wait -- sure they do. All the time. In fact, what I've noticed they quote MOST are their own leaders' "interpretations" of bible verses.

So quoting leaders doesn't mean you're not a "christian" church. How about that.

Yes, TSCC is a huge pile of lies, deceit, arrogance, corporate greed, and ignorance. So are lots of other "christian" churches.

Posted by: BG-notloggedin ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 10:13PM

Lutherans sing a hymn composed by Martin Luther - A mighty Fortress is our God in English. Mormons sing "Praise to the Man who communed with Jehova - Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins, / Stain Illinois, while the earth lauds his fame.

Every Christian service I have ever attended has a reading from the new testament, and a service based on the Gospels.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 01:39AM

Go to Mass and you will hear first a reading from the OT followed by a Psalm. Next will be read a reading from one of the Epistles followed by a Gospel reading. Then will be heard a sermon based on the topic of the Gospel message. Bible centered, Christ inspired.

Posted by: txnevermo ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 07:58AM

Wow, I don't know why there is any question that they are Christian. As they'll quote, every single time, "Of course we're Christian!!! JESUS CHRIST is right in the name of our church!!!"

Kind of like when a towing company is named #1 Best Towing. Obviously, they must be the best. It can't just be some not-so-clever marketing tactic.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 08:26AM

That is really a good one. I'm a-using it the next time I get into that discussion with Mormons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.