Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: secularhumanguy ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 10:14AM

First of all, I would like to say that I'm back! I've had to take a break from rfm because of my parents (my mom would flip if she knew i was checking this site during school). But I have some time to make this one post.
So, this Friday I finally turn 16! and according to mormon custom I can finally date! I was wondering if I could get some advice. A never-mo that I've known for almost 2 1/2 years seems interested in me but I don't know what to do. This is probably the first girl I ever fell in love with and it was within my first week of knowing her that I knew I was in love with her. However, I also had social anxiety back then and that combined with how crazy I was for her caused me to pretty much freeze everytime I was with her. Somehow, during this time she developed a crush on me too but she thought that I wasn't interested so eventually she got over me. fast forward to freshman year and we had developed a pretty good friendship and had actually talked about how we felt a year earlier, where she said that she wasn't interested in me anymore. We were just friends for the rest of that year. Fast forward again to present day and she's going to another school and we almost never see/talk to each other. She started trying to get back in contact with me around a month ago but I had my phone taken away because of issues with my parents (I still don't have it back because of low grades.) She ends up texting a friend of mine and I text her off of his phone. She says she likes me again and we set up plans to meet up with a bunch of other old friends. But due to rescheduling and me not having my phone they come and leave before I can show up. Anyway, with my birthday coming up and I'm probably getting my phone back soon I don't know what to do, she knows it was an accident I didn't show up but I don't wan't to screw up again. Anyway, sorry for the long post but I still like this girl and I was in love with her for at least two years in which I was kind of screwed by my belief in mormonism. I was wondering if any of you have helpful advice. Thanks guys!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 10:19AM by secularhumanguy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 10:28AM

so you don't have to worry too much about that.

I'd focus mostly on friendship, because high school romances tend to burn themselves out within a couple of months. But every case is different.

Everybody is scared. She probably is, too. Maybe try to make her feel more comfortable and you might forget how awkward you feel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 10:28AM by imaworkinonit.

Date: February 17, 2015 10:32AM

thanks, I just feel like any relationship would be hard because she goes to the other high school in town. on the bright side i get my licence in a few weeks

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 10:39AM

Just relax and enjoy it because you only get one first love. Get to know who she really is. Show her who you really are--little by little of course.

Take advantage of this time to learn to negotiate well with your parents. Give even more than you want to get back. Build a relationship of confidence even if you have differing beliefs. That will serve you well in the future with employers and others. It will also impress your girl if she's the right one.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 01:19PM

Just one piece of advice:

Don't assume liking a girl and feeling like you want to lick every part of her body is being "in love with her."

Relax. Don't get ahead of yourself. There's a lot more to "being in love" than physical attraction.

Enjoy :)

Date: February 17, 2015 01:51PM

Trust me, the way I felt about her wasn't physical at all. She was just the most beautiful, amazing person I had met and I just wanted to be with her. Thanks though

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.