Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: C. Jones ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 07:02PM

http://www.amazon.com/Doc-Rape-Lovell-Jack-Olsen-ebook/dp/B00P9J34QY/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Anyone read this book? It's about a doctor who got away with sexually assaulting women and girls in a small Mormon town for decades. He'd position his victims while administering a pelvic exam so that they couldn't see what was happening. Most of his victims were Mormons. Some didn't fully realize that they had lost their virginity in the doctor's office until years later. When they complained about the problem to their priesthood leaders they were either told that nothing could be done because the doctor wasn't a member or they were treated like they were confessing to breaking the law of chastity. The doctor was finally brought to justice in 1985 after numerous victims came forward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 07:08PM

Any chance he was innocent and they just railroaded him? Is there video?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 08:17PM

I read the book years ago. It really disturbed me.

If I remember correctly, there were a couple of his patients who had babies that were his. Maybe someone else remembers for sure.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 09:03PM

Have you read the book?

Why is it rape and sexual abuse seem to be the only crimes where the victims are persistently called liars?

Do you think the 9 year old "Doc" raped was lying when she ran home crying and bleeding from her vagina? Would you believe your own daughter or granddaughter told you her well-respected doctor hurt her?

He was convicted, BTW, and let out in 2001.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 02:51PM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 10:22AM

OMG, come on. Knock it off with your shitty victim blaming, okay?

First, Department of Justice statistics tell us that approximately 2-8% of rape claims are bogus. So let's just say for the sake of argument that 5% of the women who claimed to be raped in that doctor's office were lying. So that means the other 95% don't deserve justice?

Next, what reward do you think there is for falsely claiming rape? What reward do you think there is for a whole mess of women falsely claiming rape? Do you think they all got rich off those claims? I assure you, unless there was a civil suit involved with damages awarded, not one single woman who testified against this pervert got a dime. I'd bet they had to pay for their own lawyers.

Do you really think people WANT that kind of attention?

Seriously, where is your empathy? Where is your compassion? Where is the common sense you should have by now?

WTF KIND OF BULLSHIT QUESTION WAS THAT TO ASK?

Gawd, rape deniers make my blood boil.

Date: February 19, 2015 03:49PM

No shit. It's fucking tiresome. There's a lot more bullshit in the world that needs to be debunked, not just Mormonism.

I see too many posters who left the cult haven't left behind their ignorant, misogynistic, victim-blaming views behind.

Why is it so difficult for these people to apply the same level of critical thinking used to leave the cult to sexism and misconceptions about gender?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 03:49PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 07:47PM

Yes, I read the book many, many years ago.

Doc was raping his Mormon patients. The Relief Society President defended him all over town. LDS leaders did not want the scandal.

Some of these women who were raped were just plain stupid while the doctor was pure evil.

It was a real good "true crime" read.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 07:50PM

Yes, I read it years ago. I still have it. It was a "good read."

It was the non-Mormon "Doc" that was the bad guy, but it was the Mormons (his patients) that defended him.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 07:50PM

She is in her 80s now. She was always giving me books like this to read that did not make mormonism look so good.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 07:53PM

My ex-fiancé grew up in cowley. In high school her friends said "if you go see the doc in Lovell for a cold he'll give you a pelvic exam."

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 09:45PM

I was a naive, young medical transcriber at that time, working in a clinic of 13 doctors. One of the other transcribers was a retired RN who couldn't tolerate being on her feet all day. She used to work for this Dr. X. (And this was in SoCal, so probably not the same guy.)

She told us that the doctor's policy was to do a pelvic on ALL women, regardless of what they came in for. Supposedly, he was concerned because too many women didn't get their PAP tests done as often as they should. But it still sounded weird to me. She said that when she worked for him, her orders were to order every adult female patient to strip from the waist down, and hand them that flimsy paper covering. If the patient objected and said, "Wait a minute. I'm here for BRONCHITIS!" the nurse was supposed to say, "Well, this is what the doctor ordered."

Some women refused the pelvic exam, some walked out of the office and never saw him again, but apparently, most submitted.

He just struck me as creepy. I never saw him for anything, although I saw some of the other doctors in that practice, who were professional and appropriate.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 11:37PM

but he isn't the same guy. From what I remember, it was even a more horrible story than the one in Wyoming. And he was Mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 11:37PM by cl2.

Posted by: ick ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 11:45PM

Right, some of the women had fertility problems and he felt entitled to multiply and replenish the earth with his own ego...

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 08:33PM

I done business in the town of Lovell during the time this was taking place. Of course I knew nothing about what was going on. I did know some of the people in the book. Lot of hard feelings and questions about it. Have read several books and accounts of it. I understand Dr.Story is out and not sure where he is now. Good reading.

Date: February 18, 2015 08:43PM

My high school bf had been raised in TSCC and his family left when it came out his grandfather was sexually abusing his sister. The way they were treated by family was appalling, so they packed up and left Utah for Colorado.

He was trying to open my eyes to the sickness of Mormonism and that book was part of what started my journey out that year.

This is a cruel and painful tragedy. If you read this book, it is very graphic and can be triggering for sexual abuse survivors.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 11:35PM

I read it many years ago. Doc was Baptist, but preyed particularly (though not exclusively) on Mormon women. It was probably 30 years ago when I read it, so I've forgotten a lot, but it was haunting.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 12:46AM

I read it. That doctor also hated Mexicans and Germans and would rape them.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 01:18AM

I remember reading of this case as well. He was able to do these things because he would examine the women without any other person in the room while he did his "exam."

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 10:31AM

My mom and her 3 sisters all grew up in Lovell.

Not sure if it is something I would want to ask her about.

What were the dates?

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 06:46PM

I was there in the late 70's. I guess it went on for several years.

Posted by: Just Passing Through ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 12:08PM

I actually ran into someone that claimed they were a victim in Atlanta, about 1992. They seemed very sincere and they were not part of the investigation, just wanted to have it go away.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 01:33PM

Sounds very Mormonie. If you keep ignoring the truth, maybe it will go away.

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 02:43PM

Not "mormonie" at all. Avoidance is the most human, common response to trauma. Especially when you are alone with it and have realized that finding justice seems well nigh impossible, as in "who would believe me?"

Just think of all the difficult/shaming stuff you yourself try not to think about at various times.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 03:03PM

I don't know if this is mormonie.

But I seem to recall as part of this story, many of the women who were victims had never seen a penis in the light of day - even their own husband. This is truly my recollection of the story.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 09:12PM

I read the first 30 pages of it with the Amazon 'look inside the book' thing- it sounds pretty interesting. I can't believe how long this was perpetuated, but I guess like people said, you suppress some of the worst things that happen to you. Can't really know what to say if you haven't been in the position yourself, other than that you hope the guy who did it pays for his crimes, which apparently, he didn't, really, since he's out of jail.

Posted by: tevainotloggedin ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 09:25PM

It has been a long time since I read this book (though I still have it).

As I recall, the doctor told the women something to the effect that they needed some kind of stretching treatment, and that he was going to insert a "cylinder" (as I recall) into them. (This is actually a medical treatment that goes back a very long time for women who have difficulty with intercourse or are expected to have problems delivering a baby, and as I recall from other books and a long-ago trip to the museum in Chicago, what amounts to medical dildos have been part of a medical doctor's equipment since ancient Egyptian times and ancient Roman times, used for this purpose.)

The difference with the Lovell doctor's patients was that at least most of those women did not have any medical condition which would warrant this treatment, and in the few cases where the woman might have had vaginismus or something, the doctor's penis did NOT qualify as a dildo for medical treatment!

What really made me sad about what happened in Lovell was that some of those women didn't have a clue as to what was really happening to them, and didn't know enough to be able to recognize the difference between a human penis and a medical dildo.

And some of the husbands of these men divorced their wives for infidelity, despite the circumstances. Even when it was obvious that the women were not complicit in extramarital sex, they were STILL blamed for being unfaithful/sinful/etc., and I still, with great sadness, think about those women, and the injustice of their situations, to this day.

Date: February 19, 2015 09:53PM

He would tell the patient(s) he was going to dilate them.

https://www.vaginismus.com/faqs/dilator-questions/vaginal-dilators-treating-vaginismus
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3101979/

One in particular he raped nearly every time she had an appointment, telling her things like, "Maybe I sewed you up too tight" after she had given birth and then raped her.

This is why you should NEVER let a doctor, male or female examine you alone. I've told the story here that my usual doctor was out of town and I had to see the one subbing in his office. I needed a physical before Girls' Camp. He told me he needed to take my pulse and proceeded to put his hands down my pants. (Yes, I KNOW there's a spot you can take a pulse, but do you really think a healthy teen girl can't have her pulse taken in the wrist or neck or even with a stethoscope and watch?) I jumped back and reported it to my mom. She called the office and chewed them out.

I repeat, DO NOT allow a doctor to examine your genitals without a third party present and always be in the room when your pediatrician examines your child. We're conditioned to think that the doctor is in charge, which is false. He or she is there to provide treatment and advice.

Posted by: bentleye ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 11:15PM

I wonder why that Doc only got 15 years. It seems like he should have got life or death.

Posted by: BurnedattheStake ( )
Date: February 19, 2015 11:30PM

My mother grew up in Cowley, right next to Lovell. The doctor arrived a few years before she moved away. She knew of this doctor. I have no idea if she ever went to this doctor. I tried talking to my mother about this book years ago. She said, "Oh I remember this doctor...I remember friends..." But then, Denial. "It never happened." I guess this sweet wholesome town, including my mother, swept it under the rug. Out of sight, out of mind. No one will ever know the real damage.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo GOD ( )
Date: February 20, 2015 04:02AM

Dr. Story is now living in Lovell. Still supported as innocent by many, some even mormons.

The Dr. for the town BEFORE him had a problem molesting boys.

Lovell is a wierd place.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.