Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 06:01PM

Astronomers detect light from the Universe’s first stars.
Surprises in signal from cosmic dawn also hint at presence of dark matter.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-02616-8

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 09:34PM

Astrophysicists were getting pretty cynical in recent years on ever being able to detect dark matter, this is besides what they see in its gravitational effects. Detection by any other means, such as what they see in the cosmic dawn, could potentially lead to an understanding of what dark matter actually is. It remains a mystery. Some suppose dark matter is composed of anions, but this theory remains untestable at the moment. Therefore, this new signal from the cosmic dawn is very big news because of where it may lead. It's a major breakthrough that is going to get many Ph.D. students upset. Imagine your entire thesis becoming obsolete with this news! Hah!

Add this discovery to the list of the biggest discoveries in physics in recent years:

1) detection of gravity waves
2) confirmation of an expanding universe that will never collapse on itself
3) confirmation of the Higgs field

I'm excited about what is coming next!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 10:44PM

Poor little Ph.D. students!

Makes me wonder who told them that they were big enough to grasp the full truth about the physical universe? Where did they get the idea that a little man in the 21st century could possibly grasp and understand the full truth?

Humanity is infantile at this point in its development. I suppose hubris is a possibly useful driver that inspires mankind to reach beyond his ability to comprehend.

However, I believe info downloads faster if the ego is switched off.

Date: February 28, 2018 11:28PM

You have your voice here on the forum, just like the rest of us.

Is there anything intelligible that you would like to say?

I will tell you a secret. Every bit of your existence was built on the shoulders of scientific giants. Get used to it.

Date: March 01, 2018 08:21AM

I'll tell you a secret. Every one of those "giants" was/is but a little human person, with a very finite brain case, who only saw a small part of the elephant, and often misunderstood even that. Only thru quantum consciousness can a finite human drop the ego and begin to comprehend oneness or the absolute. Until humanity does this, until humanity moves beyond the plodding sequence of linear thought, it will never be able to comprehend the actuality of the mysterium tremendum. To believe otherwise is hubris.

I do not agree I owe my existence to scientists. The life process is my creator. I am an eternal and infinite being, not merely a mortal having one short life on a carnal world. But I did not intend to knock science or scientists, I like their hits (altho their misses are problematic, to say the least). I merely meant to point out the fatal flaw of depending on intellect alone in seeking to understand the infinite cosmos. And to remind us all that we are small, and should be humbled by the universe.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 08:30AM

Are you talking about rosicrutionism?

Date: March 01, 2018 06:07PM

No, I don't mean to say anything about Rosicrucianism.

I'm a yogi, a meditator. IIRC Rosicrucianists like to meditate in some way too.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: February 28, 2018 11:42PM

"However, I believe info downloads faster if the ego is switched off."

I not only agree but attempt to do exactly that on a routine basis.

It would be a far different world if more 'non ego' work was better accepted.

But there is definitely a place for both as we move into the future.

Date: March 01, 2018 01:01AM

Spiritist,

Hello's statement "However, I believe info downloads faster if the ego is switched off" is almost always true, perhaps an axiom to live by.

However, it is hello's inference that those in the scientific community always have their ego switch turned on that gets my blood boiling. We have all met arrogant people and occasionally we are one of them. It is important not to generalize.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To hello: I apologize for getting upset so easily. Perhaps this was not your intent. I appreciate most feedback on this site from posters as it is necessary for a healthy discussion. My intellect is fed equally on this site from both the educated and uneducated alike. I do not discriminate as I have a deep love for people and seek to understanding first. Even the young 14-year-old posters can have the most profound insight that we all can learn from. Once again, you have my apologies. Cheers.

Date: March 01, 2018 08:38AM

"However, it is hello's inference that those in the scientific community always have their ego switch turned on that gets my blood boiling. We have all met arrogant people and occasionally we are one of them. It is important not to generalize."

This may be the source of our misunderstanding. When I use the term, "ego", I do not mean the loaded version of the definition of ego that implies unbalanced, negative personality traits (arrogance, etc.). I simply mean in the pure psychological sense, ego as manifested in the stream of verbal thought constructs. Thought stream as opposed to the thought free state, also known as void consciousness. Ego is the basic psychological state of almost all human beings.

It is the finite thought stream that can lead your Ph.D. students to despair when their pet theory, to which they have devoted so much effort, turns out to be wrong. Scholars who float in constant equanimity, and who allow their consciousness to balance in inner quietude, will not mourn their now useless papers. In this way they remain open to further inspiration.

Date: March 03, 2018 04:25AM

O and no worries about apology, it's cool. Personal attacks are not cool tho, and there is way too much name-calling on this board, I guess some posters are blessed by admin to be able to name call. Or else, I'm too slack about being called names, I don't report them. I just like to be able to defend myself, which is very hard here.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 12:06PM

Most condisending post of the day.

Date: March 02, 2018 09:45PM

^^^ Most hubristic post of the day? :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 03, 2018 07:11AM

>>Poor little Ph.D. students!

It's mainly a practical matter. PhD students in the physical sciences go through a years-long process in order to earn their degrees. They live on stipends that are barely enough to support a mouse. Asking them to extend their thesis projects would indeed be very discouraging.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 12:48AM

The sussing out and testing of what scientists thing they have found is a fascinating venture, and calls for one of the hardest things men have to do: let go of beloved theories.

So it's possible to suppose that not 'believing' in anything that remains unproven is a very useful scientific trait.

As opposed to man's belief in ghawds, religions and other assorted beloved quakeries. Apparently science doesn't rely on 'testimonies'.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 01:02AM

This stuff is above my pay grade, and I suspect it is for most here with "paisley" being an exception...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/28/588833582/did-dark-matter-make-the-early-universe-chill-out

The only valid observation I can make at this point is "Dark matter and dark energy are sexy."

(and I'll bet Don Bagley wishes he'd said that one :-)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 08:45PM

I like my matter the same way I like my coffee:

Dark and strong.

Bring on the universe, I say. The more we know, the better! :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 08:49PM

Even "the more we don't know!" is fun!!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 10:04AM

Did I mention that I like my friends that way, too?

:)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 02, 2018 12:57PM

Its a hi from Kolob.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.