Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 02:12PM

Hello,

I am an ExMormon and I am posting the following question sincerely and out of curiosity:

What would you say was the main issue or your main reason for not leaving the abusive Doomsday CULT of Joseph's Myth upon learning he abused his authority to cuckold his followers by having his way with their wives and teenage daughters?

I realize that you may well have more than one answer to that question — and feel free (obviously) to list them if you want — but I am primarily interested in what you would place at the top of the list.

Again, this is a sincere question and it is not my intent or desire to create contention or promote ill will. Rather, I am hopeful that it will prompt friendly and constructive responses.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 02:48PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 02:31PM

I too would really like to hear from devoutmormon why he/she stays. I would hope devoutmormon doesn't feel intimidated to confront this group. Take the courage Alma the chief judge and answer Koriwhore. I am convinced Koriwhore speaks more truth than tscc.

Posted by: Historian ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 09:04PM

Really -"NOT being intimidated".

Look at history...

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 03:23PM

I hope devoutmormon came back and read the responses.

In case devoutmormon did not know, threads here get closed after about 60 comments so that's what happened to yours. Here's the link.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2088978

You can always start a new thread if you're not done discussing your subject matter, or if you want to post responses to a thread already closed.

Posted by: 2 late 2 log in ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 04:35PM

Seems like we scared him/her off (assuming a legit good-faith question in the first place). Too much forthright honesty and truth tends to unnerve devout mormons.

Was probably expecting us to complain about how we were offended or confess that we just wanted to sin.

And to add another reason to leave —

The church's expectation of blind obedience and submission to authority, while insisting that it doesn't demand blind obedience.

That's pure BS, of course; it demands immediate, strict, unquestioning, and automatic obedience merely for the sake of obedience, without hesitation ("where's your faith?") or complaint ("don't murmur!" "don't criticize the brethren!"), which is the very definition of blind obedience.

The WoW is a perfect example. It doesn't even pretend to be a health code any longer, just a test of obedience to the leaders' arbitrary rules.

Date: March 11, 2018 06:10PM

I remember reading in one of the earlier books on Mormonism, I can't remember which one, Lawrence Fosters "Religion and Sexuality" or one of the other books. Can't remember which one but the author quoted J. Smith as saying "god doesn't care which laws I give them (the saints) so long as they obey them" or something to that effect. It would have been easier to persuade me of the correctness of Joey's Ideas if he had actually obeyed them himself.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 08:40PM

He or she probably had all the material needed for a rip roaring lesson for some church class or priesthood meeting. I doubt very much the query was sincere.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 11:41AM

Is someone coming here for "truth"? Or "'THE' truth"? Hahaaha

There are a lot of places to go.
Everyone "learns", later or sooner, that it's not always where you go, but how you get there... and what you do, and/ or THINK, build, create, loose, gain, succeed/ fail at, sustain, refrain from, care about, screw up, hatch, resemble, remember or repeat, along the way.

Maybe somebody will learn something. There is only hope

M@t

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 03:30PM

I guess he/she wanted silly answers.

"Some new convert stole my parking spot at church. or There's never enough orange jello at the ward banquet."

Date: March 19, 2018 10:06PM

My reason for wanting to have a dialogue with devoutmormon is because it is such a rare thing to meet any Mormon who is willing to have an honest discussion about the merits/demerits and the veracity of the church truth claims. All my family do NOT want to learn the full account of church history but prefer instead the sanitized version put out by the church.

I realize it probably wouldn't change devoutmormons position but it would certainly be interesting and informitive for all.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 09:23AM

Therein lies the reality. People CANT face the truth?
It scares the hell out of them so its easier to just
live and hope that "somehow" the Jopseph Smith story
turns out well. It wont...It cant...It never will.

The denial leaves people in such a lonely place that
the more they continue the worse it gets over time.

Sure, they Church has everything explained. They cover
almost all the bases so that no matter how you feel or
what you think, you are left empty.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 12:38PM

Betcha "devoutmormon" is on his/her/its way out....but doesn't consciously know it and would thoroughly deny it. (From OP construction suspect male.)

Mormonism perfected splitting a person from his/her own self as a necessary tool of control. If pressed, doubt devoutmormon would even be able to say why he asked the question at all: it would be truly a mystery to he-who-asked.

The clue and true message is in the action itself - not the question.

He will be back. But won't know why.

Date: March 20, 2018 03:00PM

zenjamin Wrote:
> If pressed, doubt devoutmormon would even be able
> to say why he asked the question at all: it would
> be truly a mystery to he-who-asked.
>
> The clue and true message is in the action itself
> - not the question.
>
> He will be back. But won't know why.
I doubt he will answer the question I asked. If he did he'd be the first to do so honestly. I have yet to meet an honest MORmON.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 04:57PM

"I doubt he will answer the question I asked."

Agree. Probably he cannot answer it and remains more from inertia than anything. Pattern behavior. But it is causing suffering.

Doubt he knows this consciously; but suspect he is on the limbic gut level shopping for cognitive reasons that are "good enough" to leave. He is seeking to give himself permission to exit the torture.

Remember how really scary it was to actually leave once?
Like standing at the edge of the yawning door, cold windblast deafening the ears, ground 10,000 feet below, not sure this parachute thing actually works.

Date: March 20, 2018 08:30PM

zenjamin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I doubt he will answer the question I asked."
>
> Agree. Probably he cannot answer it and remains
> more from inertia than anything. Pattern
> behavior. But it is causing suffering.
>
> Doubt he knows this consciously; but suspect he is
> on the limbic gut level shopping for cognitive
> reasons that are "good enough" to leave. He is
> seeking to give himself permission to exit the
> torture.
>
> Remember how really scary it was to actually leave
> once?
> Like standing at the edge of the yawning door,
> cold windblast deafening the ears, ground 10,000
> feet below, not sure this parachute thing actually
> works.

Yes I remember. I use the metaphor that it's like being born onto a slave ship, but everybody on the ship thinks it's the end all be all ship on the sea. Everybody is just happy as clams swabbing the deck and singing songs. But after awhile you realize that the captain of the ship is a feeble minded senile old man who has you going around in circles and never actually arriving anywhere. You start poking around down below the deck and realize that it's a rust bucket that's full of holes and it's taking on water faster than the bilge pumps can keep up.
You point this out to your family and friends and they think you're a GD liar. You take some of them down and show them the GD holes in the ship and they still don't believe you, even though the water is rising fast and you can't seem to convince anybody that there's any danger. Finally they turn you in to the Captain of the ship and he threatens you with being expelled from the ship if you breath a word of what you've seen to anybody on the ship. You ask him, "Even my wife and kids?"
He says, "Especially your wife and kids!"
That night you load your wife and kids onto the life boat and lower it down to the sea and start rowing for land.
Little do you know the sea is full of sharks and all kinds of dangers. Fortunately, right before you end up shipwrecked, you land on terra firma and kiss the ground.
Turns out there's a whole tribe of people like you on Terra Firma and you start a new life with your new found tribe and life is difficult, but far more rewarding than it was stuck on the slave ship SS Joseph's Myth.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 12:25AM

Probably fear and trepidation. That organization has that down to an art.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.