Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 24, 2018 10:27AM

"Mormon leaders knew of two alleged victims of former Missionary Training Center (MTC) President Joseph Bishop in 2010, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said Friday.

In a new statement, which follows the release of a Brigham Young University police report on Wednesday, LDS Church spokesman Eric Hawkins said a woman referenced in a recording leaked this week had reported being sexually abused by Bishop to her local ecclesiastical leaders.

'When she reported the alleged abuse to her local Church leaders in 2010, they provided emotional support as well as professional counseling services,' Hawkins said. 'Mr. Bishop’s local ecclesiastical leaders were contacted and they confronted him with her claims, which he denied, and local leaders did not feel they could pursue church discipline for Mr. Bishop.'”

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/03/23/mormon-leaders-knew-of-two-alleged-victims-of-former-missionary-training-center-president-in-2010/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 24, 2018 11:40AM

Perhaps we could correct the last part of the statement:
"Mr. Bishop's local ecclesiastical leaders didn't pursue church discipline for Brother Bishop because they didn't want to damage the reputation of a fellow priesthood brother who was a rising star in the church."

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 24, 2018 11:46AM

The first victim reported it to her bishop in 1984, nothing was done.
http://kutv.com/news/local/woman-who-accused-mtc-president-of-sexual-assault-has-been-telling-her-story-for-3-decades

I wonder if the second victim had done that too so many years earlier and was ignored. The church makes it sound like they didn't know anything until 2010.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 24, 2018 01:50PM

Tip of the iceberg. . .

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 25, 2018 12:39AM

This is something I have been wondering about a lot. I was a missionary in the late 70s and spent to wonderful months at the LTM which is now called MTC. Our lives were so regimented and we were under constant observation, and could go nowhere without a companion. We had a sister missionary in our group who did not have a companion going to our country, so for most of the day she had two elders assigned as her companion. In the dorms she was assigned to a sister missionary going to Finland. For the Mission president to pull this off, companions, teachers, and administrative staff would have known he was meeting with the victim. For him to be so brazen to do this twice makes me believe he probably did much worse as he had a method figured out to cover his tracks. There are reports you can find on line that he was an amoral, compulisve lying a$$hole when he was president at Weber State College, I suspect the church is coming clean to get ahead of the next flurry of news stories that are going to come out about him ... people who do these kind of things have a pattern through their lives, they are not n=1 events, and he also probably had help to carry off the attacks at the MTC.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 25, 2018 03:50AM

Yes, I suspect there are many such cases with this joker. There are just too many consistent accusations and related claims, including his behavior at Weber State. He seems to be a deeply troubled man, not, in your parlance, an N=1 sort of person.

The church's behavior seems to underscore the magnitude of this particular case or cluster of cases. President Newsroom doesn't usually issue statements about abuse accusations let alone ones that have been so carefully crafted. I mean, the precision of the wording and the attempts to divert attention are quite deft. That makes me think the Q15 are deeply worried, which in turn means they either know or suspect that these waters run deep.

Viewed from another angle, why did this man's church career stall? People who were both stake presidents and university presidents are normally on the fast-track to high office and even apostleship. Yet something happened to preclude that, apparently after the MTC presidency and the Argentinian stake presidency. Does that put it in the middle 1980s? Was there something about the accusations leveled in that period that persuaded the Q15 that they had a real problem on their hands?

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 25, 2018 04:48AM

"There are just too many consistent accusations and related claims, including his behavior at Weber State."

Google "Former Dean of Women at Weber Speaks out about Joseph L Bishop". Some shocking things.

This is the 1980 publication of the interview.
https://archive.org/details/JanTyleWSCOralHistory

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 25, 2018 03:52AM

The church has always protected the priesthood, who in turn protect the image of the church. Make no mistake, if the leaders could convince the victims to keep the allegations "hushed", then the church could sweep it under the rug.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.