Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 08:28PM

it was an effing MLM meeting to push essential oils. To add insult to injury, I find out my friend is a distributor! Ugh. I can't stand Mormons.

I have this TBM friend who is trying to save my soul despite the fact that I've told her repeatedly I will never go back to church. Her thinking she's clever, invites me to stuff that wouldn't seem church related right off the bat but it always turns out to be. Sigh.

I've attending everything she's invited me to unless it is an activity at the church or church related. A girls dinner (which consisted of my VT and 3 ladies who live in a perfect perimeter around me, no joke. I'm surrounded!), and this MLM thing which I never would have gone to had I known what it really was.

Now I'm getting emails pushing these oils and it's really annoying. I didn't sign up for anything so I know this lady got my email from my friend.

I swear, you give them an inch...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:33PM

When it comes to stuff like that, I'm so glad I DON'T live in Utard!

Posted by: tbrown ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:36PM

In three geographically distinct areas of the country that I've been LDS over three decades, there has been pushy MLM's going on within each of the wards I've been in.

The spirit of the pushiness was always sort of a subtle arrogant 'we have the truth and we're smarter than everybody else, therefore we have this MLM as a blessing to give us an edge over the dumb suckers who won't be a part of it'

In one place at least, the MLM was collapsing like wet taco and there was tons of resentment etc. and members who had put in a significant amount of money/time were losing their shirt. The guy who started it though was long gone.

If I was starting an MLM, I'd know just where to start...

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:45PM

Tell the person to stop sending you emails because you are not interested, and would not have been interested in attending the "reflexology workshop" if the truth of the sales pitch had been told to you in advance.

Posted by: Kablam ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:52PM

I hate that! I am constantly getting fb invites to mary kay parties and scentzy parties and jewelry parties and whatever else my friends are trying to hock. So tired of it.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:54PM

I keep seeing 'MLM' in posts, but I haven't a clue what it means.

Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:56PM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:14PM

Just a guess:

Multi Level Marketing

or

Mormon Losing Money

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 01:42AM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:00PM

Ah. Got it.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:13PM

LOL but of course.

Reflexology and Polarity massages fit into Mormonism very well, although they are generally in the realm of New Age.

Getting the feet and the body massaged is certainly pleasurable and relaxing, with or without the Happy Ending.

Not surprisingly, there is also a connection between footmassage and foot fetishes/toe sucking etc.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 11:17PM

But your message perpetuated some pretty bad stereotypes that make life difficult, if not dangerous, for licensed massage therapists. A good massage therapist probably put in about 700 - 1200 hours of schooling plus lab work, plus passed a pretty strenuous exam to get licensed. They are licensed health care workers, with much more training than your average nursing assistant. A massage therapist would NEVER give a happy ending to a client. That is a hooker that does that. You should never expect one or imply one is even a possibility - any more than you would expect the nurse tending you in the hospital to take care of your personal urges.

Also, reflexology requires even more specialized training. While it may or may not have the accupressure benefits some reflexologists claim, the same rules apply. It's not related to foot fetishes or in any way sexual, unless it's your significant other giving you something special. When it's a professional - anything more is ABSOLUTELY OUT OF THE QUESTION. It's really important to make these distinctions, because people who perpetuate the wrong impression of massage therapists discredit the profession and endanger hard-working, educated people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 11:18PM by CA girl.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 11:25PM

Well-said!

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 12:59AM

I agree, CA girl. I see a wonderful massage therapist for two hours every two weeks. She is so awesome. She uses essential oils, does reflexology, body wraps, swedish massages, all sorts of things and she is such a professional.

Professional massages do not involve a "happy ending" that involves orgasm, that would definitely be a hooker. :)

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 01:12AM

It always infuriated me that people still had that stereotypical "massage parlor" mentality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.