Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: coventryrm ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 11:02AM

“I always knew who I was throughout my process of questioning. I was a Mormon – no matter whether Joseph Smith was a charlatan or not. Nice to know who you are. It keeps other things in perspective.”

Comment by Seth R. — July 12, 2009 @ 1:07 am

http://www.nine-moons.com/?p=970#comments

Seth R comment 71 in response to my comment 65

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 12:26PM

That was an interesting thread. Poor Seth is destined to be taken advantage of by the church for the rest of his life.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 04:26PM

or his 14 year old daughter then he can appreciate the crap that early cult recruits went through for faith in Smiths'Christ'.

The worry here is that some wackos would actually do this and then pat themselves on the back!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 04:27PM by zeezrom.

Date: September 19, 2010 11:42PM

Another poster on here has asked me to find the link ...can't remember who you are...found the link and the board went down... and all the old posts were gone when it came back on line.

Posted by: saint jc ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 03:04PM

After years of seeing Seth's nonsense (mostly a lurker), this is a minor example of his idiocy.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 04:11PM

Seth may be the same mormon who showed up to argue on this thread:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/mormon_turnabout.php

Here's his first post:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/mormon_turnabout.php#comment-2789770 (there are many more comments from Seth, maybe 30 in all)

Seth got his a$$ handed to him by a bunch of non-mormons and ex-mormons who knew more about mormon doctrine than he did.

I think Seth may be on the way out of the LDS Church and just hasn't found a way to admit it to himself yet.

Seth seemed to think that giving dead people a chance to accept or reject baptism into the mormon church was less funny than the (admittedly mistaken) idea that once they were necrodunked they were mormon. Hilarious either way, Seth.

Date: September 28, 2010 10:45AM

Seth is answering some questions on my blog anyone care to take a stab at it.

http://coventryrm.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/mormonism-get-thee-behind-me/#comment-1585

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 12:15PM

It is declared that everything stands or falls on the Book of Mormon.
Likewise, everything stands or falls on the [1820]First Vision.

The Book of Mormon does not teach that God and Jesus were seperate beings. It teaches that they are the same. The BoM teaches that Jesus is the very Father.

At the time that the 1835 Doctrine and Covenants was printed, it included the Lectures on Faith which pretty much mirrored the Book of Mormon idea of God.
The current Doctrine and Covenants prior to section 130 also hold this view.
Similarly, in 1831 Joseph Smith released the Book of Moses which again portrays God and Jesus as the same being.
In todays LDS Bible Luke 10:22 the footnote refers to the JST again indicating that Jesus is the very Father.

If Joseph Smith has had a vision of God and Jesus standing side by side as physical beings, he made no effort to correct the Book ofMormon, and he proceeded to deny that vision by incorporating the Book of Mormon view into subsequent scriptures. The Mormon church says that scripture is what is written by the prophet when moved upon by the Holy Ghost.

It also declares that the Holy Ghosts prime mission is to testify of truth, and of Jesus Christ.

If the Holy Ghost witnessed to Joseph Smith during those formative years when the scriptures were produced, then it stands to reason that in later years Joseph (being guilty of adultery, and of other crimes) had lost the spirit when he proclaimed his famous King Follet Discouse. This discourse was also given only a couple years after the first tellings of the First Vision story.

And because the church subscribes to Josephs later speculation as revealed in the King Follet Discourse, then the church has fallen from the truth as well.

Only by dismissing the Book of Mormon, The Book of Moses, The sections of the Doctrine and Covenants prior to 130, as well as the JST, can the church justifiably adhere to its present theology.

But by doing so, it is necessarily false.

Only by admitting that the church was wrong to follow the KFD, can the church claim that it is true according to the scriptures, but by doing so reveals that the Utah brand of Mormonism is again false.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.